C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

HG Motorsports 2006 C55 RACE CAR BUILD**

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
Fantastic Build, please keep us updated!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Tell that to the guys racing who are using the DSG's. The manual is not dead, BUT its on life support!!

For example, the Corvette auto is quicker than the manual since about 2003 or so.
You can't really compare the DSG type transmissions to an typical auto with a torque converter. DSGs are more like a manual trans that has been automated. Their shifts are instant, and they respond to driver controls more than the typical auto trans. They also don't build up heat like normal auto slushboxes. In lap racing, its the heat buildup that will be the enemy of the 5-speed auto in the C55. When they get too hot, they usually go into different programming.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Originally Posted by billbillw
You can't really compare the DSG type transmissions to an typical auto with a torque converter. DSGs are more like a manual trans that has been automated. Their shifts are instant, and they respond to driver controls more than the typical auto trans. They also don't build up heat like normal auto slushboxes. In lap racing, its the heat buildup that will be the enemy of the 5-speed auto in the C55. When they get too hot, they usually go into different programming.
You're correct about shift speeds being significantly faster on dual clutch gearboxes, compared to AMG tuned "slushboxes" and even the newer AMG tuned MCT. Other than that, the C55 has a proper "M" mode (like all the newer AMG cars) that give the driver almost complete control over what gear the car is in (it will still downshift on its own if the engine is about to stall in too high a gear).

However, I'm not sure about your statement about the 5 speed auto in the C55 going into "different programming" when getting hot during lapping. We read about C63 owners and CLK63 Black Series owners complaining about the transmission going into "C" mode when their transmission overheats during lapping days. I have never experienced (and I don't ever recall reading about other C55 owners who have tracked their cars) the C55's transmission changing modes because of excessive heat during lapping days.

In my experience, the C55's transmission just keeps going and going during extended lapping sessions without much fuss (and I do push my C55 going after much "faster" cars).

Here is what I think: the newer 7 speed AMG Speedshift "slushbox" in the newer AMG's is not as robust as the older 5 speed AMG unit (which is similar to the units used in the older and current "65" series cars). The newer "63" AMG cars also have much higher output than the C55 so the increased heat generated in the drivetrain may upset that 7 speed unit, which is why owners do see their transmission go into "C" mode after extended lapping sesions in hot weather.

But regardless, this C55 race car build indicates they have strengthened their transmission at Renntech anyways, so I doubt it will be a weak point during their lapping time trials/competition. The only thing I hope is that they have increased the shift speeds compared to the standard C55 (which is entirely possible given that even AMG Performanc Studio offerred a transmission upgrade for the C55 a few years ago to increase shift speeds, much like what they did on the 5 speed SLR).
Old 03-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

'92 300E, '06 E55
Hello Everybody!

For some reason I had thought we were already a sponsor on here, but I seemed to be mistaken. Trying to play catch up with all the posts here. But first things first, the build sheet has been updated on page #1.

The transmission has been modified by adding different clutch packs, and using renntech's tuning magic. Once the car is tuned and ready to go, we will go back to the track and see how the transmission holds up. If it gets too warm, we will then add a transmission cooler.

The way we were able to get the wheels and tires to fit, was with a few hours worth of fender rolling and cutting. It is a VERY tight fit, but works.

The stock exhaust system is a little bent on the right side, but we will be dumping it once we start doing the aero. Custom exhaust system will be designed for it.

We have yet to decide what series we will start running the car in. Currently we are running the Redline Time Attack Series with the Evolution Racewerks BMW 135i.

This car will most likely be a demonstration vehicle until we decide!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Smile

Originally Posted by HGMotorsports
Hello Everybody!

The way we were able to get the wheels and tires to fit, was with a few hours worth of fender rolling and cutting. It is a VERY tight fit, but works.
What exactly did you cut...alot of us would be very interested!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

'92 300E, '06 E55
Originally Posted by JUAN CASAUS
What exactly did you cut...alot of us would be very interested!
The car is being shipped backed to us right now. When it returns I will shoot some more pictures of what was done.

But if my memory serves me well, there was a plastic tab on each side that needed to be cut and part of the actual fender which the bumper connected to needed to be trimmed.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:28 PM

2010 C63
very clean build. +1
Old 03-23-2011, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Hello Everybody!

For some reason I had thought we were already a sponsor on here, but I seemed to be mistaken. Trying to play catch up with all the posts here. But first things first, the build sheet has been updated on page #1.

The transmission has been modified by adding different clutch packs, and using renntech's tuning magic. Once the car is tuned and ready to go, we will go back to the track and see how the transmission holds up. If it gets too warm, we will then add a transmission cooler.

The stock exhaust system is a little bent on the right side, but we will be dumping it once we start doing the aero. Custom exhaust system will be designed for it.

We have yet to decide what series we will start running the car in. Currently we are running the Redline Time Attack Series with the Evolution Racewerks BMW 135i.

This car will most likely be a demonstration vehicle until we decide!
ha i knew it!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
Waiting on some numbers.. HP..? TQ..?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

'92 300E, '06 E55
Originally Posted by saer1one
Waiting on some numbers.. HP..? TQ..?
It should be making somewhere around 450-500whp. I will post the dyno sheet once they run it.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
I don't know how I missed this thread til now!

FREAKIN AWESOME!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 02:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 AMG C43
If the dyno hasnt been run (and will be run on a weekend) I for one would love to go down there and see it!
Old 03-25-2011, 08:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK55 AMG
dang how did i miss this thread aswell... awesome build. just one question, didnt hooley put down like 480 something? what all did you guys do to the motor? im sure with renntechs magic and a tuning it should be higher? unless its still N/A then that would be amazing
Old 03-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

'92 300E, '06 E55
Originally Posted by SoCalC55
If the dyno hasnt been run (and will be run on a weekend) I for one would love to go down there and see it!
Currently it is at the Renntech Headquarters in Florida. Once the car returns down here we will take it out to Cars & Coffee in Irvine. I will keep you all updated as we go!

dang how did i miss this thread aswell... awesome build. just one question, didnt hooley put down like 480 something? what all did you guys do to the motor? im sure with renntechs magic and a tuning it should be higher? unless its still N/A then that would be amazing
I have not had a chance to see "hooley's" build. I will have to look into that. The build sheet is on the 2nd post on the 1st page. I'm hoping to hit the 500whp mark reliably on race fuel. And yes the car is staying N/A. No plans for forced induction.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
I have not had a chance to see "hooley's" build. I will have to look into that. The build sheet is on the 2nd post on the 1st page. I'm hoping to hit the 500whp mark reliably on race fuel. And yes the car is staying N/A. No plans for forced induction.
I've had a chance to see yours lol from its time at Dyno-Comp. I always thought that every C55 fan knew about this car. I think 500whp could be a long shot on a N/A 55. Since boost makes more power than compression.

For a road race car, I think you are going about it right. You don't want the problems with heat associated with boost when road racing. Plus, the big power boost makes will hurt you on a road course. The back end of my car was just about uncontrollable out of a turn. scary, but fun. Until the fun ran out and I totaled my C55, due to its gobs of power.

Awesome car no doubt. If you need to pig performing headers for the car let me know.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

'92 300E, '06 E55
Hey hey, it has not been at Dyno-Comp for a long long time. So you have seen the project from the start! We will see what kind of power it produces on race fuel.

Thank you, we wanted to stay N/A for reliability purposes. If we could make around 450-500 I will be happy. That's a nice safe easy number. There is still a lot of weight that can be pulled out of the car.

This will be our most "Civil" race car that we will be competing in. Previously we had a 550 WHP Evo, and ran another 750WHP Evo for 2 seasons.

Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
I've had a chance to see yours lol from its time at Dyno-Comp. I always thought that every C55 fan knew about this car. I think 500whp could be a long shot on a N/A 55. Since boost makes more power than compression.

For a road race car, I think you are going about it right. You don't want the problems with heat associated with boost when road racing. Plus, the big power boost makes will hurt you on a road course. The back end of my car was just about uncontrollable out of a turn. scary, but fun. Until the fun ran out and I totaled my C55, due to its gobs of power.

Awesome car no doubt. If you need to pig performing headers for the car let me know.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

'92 300E, '06 E55
Pictures of the car at RENNtech

Old 04-04-2011, 06:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
Great stuff man!

Congrats
Old 04-23-2011, 01:29 AM

2005 C55
Re: Build Sheet on this monster

First, as a new member to this site who is looking to get max reliable power from my 2005 C55 while staying N/A....thanks a ton for this incredibly exciting build

I noticed that Renntech did engine work and/or tuning....any chance you can give me contact info for the specific person(s) you were working with down there? I have a local speed shop populated by former MB 'A Technicians'..& they are GOOD....if I can get the parts, they can do the work properly but I'd need to have info on the necessary tune, etc so best to get direct contact w/Renntech IMO...

If you can provide contact I'd greatly appreciate (as I'm sure others trying to go the N/A route would too ) and would be really excited to get into the firm 450+ HP range N/A.....

I was also thinking about converting to dry-sump if you have any thoughts or contacts you'd recommend for such.

Thanks a ton, in advance, for any help or contacts you can provide us!

Matt
Old 06-30-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
Any progress?
Old 09-24-2011, 10:26 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Whats the status on this? Pics of the fender rolling and cutting?
Old 09-25-2011, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e36 318i, 2004 sti
Originally Posted by x_X_RACER_X_x
First, as a new member to this site who is looking to get max reliable power from my 2005 C55 while staying N/A....thanks a ton for this incredibly exciting build

I noticed that Renntech did engine work and/or tuning....any chance you can give me contact info for the specific person(s) you were working with down there? I have a local speed shop populated by former MB 'A Technicians'..& they are GOOD....if I can get the parts, they can do the work properly but I'd need to have info on the necessary tune, etc so best to get direct contact w/Renntech IMO...

If you can provide contact I'd greatly appreciate (as I'm sure others trying to go the N/A route would too ) and would be really excited to get into the firm 450+ HP range N/A.....

I was also thinking about converting to dry-sump if you have any thoughts or contacts you'd recommend for such.

Thanks a ton, in advance, for any help or contacts you can provide us!

Matt
+1
Old 03-21-2012, 12:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 C55, 1995 C36
Just found some updates on another site, hopefully they will remember to chime in soon!
http://www.luxury4play.com/mbz/10226...ld-thread.html

Diffuser actually looks functional, although it doesn't integrate well into the bumper...
Old 03-21-2012, 04:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
Originally Posted by dre5373
Just found some updates on another site, hopefully they will remember to chime in soon!
http://www.luxury4play.com/mbz/10226...ld-thread.html

Diffuser actually looks functional, although it doesn't integrate well into the bumper...

Old 03-21-2012, 10:46 PM

W210 E55 AMG
love it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HG Motorsports 2006 C55 RACE CAR BUILD**