C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

W203 Sideview mirror turn signal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 09:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
04 C32 AMG (sadly sold), 05 CLK55 Cab, 08 R350 4Matic, 15 GLA250 (sadly bought), 75 VW Westfalia
Cool W203 Sideview mirror turn signal

Just thought I'd post a recent experience I had that may save people a few bucks (a very few by MB standards) - my drivers sideview mirror turn signal would intermittently stop working, especially after coming out of a car wash, and finally appeared to have died completely. I ordered a new one ($35, RMEuropean), followed the service CD instructions on removing the mirror housing (more on that in a bit), and installed the new one. Voila, didn't work. First, I searched the fuse list and found that it's not on a fuse. Then I decided to go to basics and check contact quality. Here's the mirror w/o the cover:
W203 Sideview mirror turn signal-dsc09120.jpg

here's the plug:
W203 Sideview mirror turn signal-dsc09121.jpg

A small piece of sandpaper and a mulitimeter probe cleaned up the two prongs, hooked up the old LED signal light, and viola, I've wasted $35. Assuming these LED's (just the drivers side, they're handed of course) ever actually die, I'm totally set.

Lastly, getting the mirror housing off has been made to sound very easy in the service CD, but it assumed a base-level IQ which I apparently don't meet; the step left out is that the mirror must be positioned out of the way of the housing:
W203 Sideview mirror turn signal-dsc09124.jpg
the mirror edge nearest the door must be pushed back out of the way of the frame nearest the door, so that the frame will not get hung up on it. I thought that I wasn't getting the spring clip sufficiently out of the way and struggled with trying to get the cover off until I saw this interference, after which it slipped right off:
W203 Sideview mirror turn signal-dsc09123.jpg
Old 07-14-2011, 12:44 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
Thanks for posting this helpful thread! I am replacing my passenger side signal (also purchased replacement from RMEuro) which has a crack (probably from a rock or something flying off the road) and gets condensation build up in it. Besides adjusting the inner portion of them mirror so that it is as far depressed as possible, are there any other screws or a certain way you must pull the housing to remove it? Thanks in advance - any pointers you can give are much appreciated.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:33 PM

04 C32 AMG (sadly sold), 05 CLK55 Cab, 08 R350 4Matic, 15 GLA250 (sadly bought), 75 VW Westfalia
Glad to be able to contribute, I get infinitely more out of this forum than I give back; all I could add would be that the key is to get the spring-steel clip pried out of the way while holding the mirror assy folded against the door - not a trivial task. I did it alone but it would definitely be easier if you had someone to hold the mirror against the force of the coil spring. I used a long, skinny, flat-nose screwdriver and kind of pried the sheet steel spring while pulling aft on the housing - once you get it started you can let it go back to its undeflected position and finish pulling it off laterally. Also, the screws that attached my LED light to the housing were very corroded, I had to be careful to make sure I got a good bite on them to get them out. Good luck.

btw the first pic shows the spring steel that needs to be pried toward the car to slide the housing off - it's a little hard to see with the housing installed, a flashlight helps.

Last edited by jneal3110; 07-14-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:12 AM

jneal thanks a lot for the information you provided. I finally got around to tackling this project and was able to go relatively quickly (15 minutes). I also did the install alone, which I found to be easy enough, but you are right, an extra set of hands would help. All said and done, this is an easy DIY and now I don't have to look at a cracked LED signal with condensation in it whenever it rains! Thanks again
Old 08-23-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by mrobinso
jneal thanks a lot for the information you provided. I finally got around to tackling this project and was able to go relatively quickly (15 minutes). I also did the install alone, which I found to be easy enough, but you are right, an extra set of hands would help. All said and done, this is an easy DIY and now I don't have to look at a cracked LED signal with condensation in it whenever it rains! Thanks again
nothing like ridding your world of one more annoyance
Old 08-23-2011, 04:23 PM

Now to replace that pesky passenger side fog lamp that's cracked! Perhaps another DIY on fog light replacement from jneal to help fellow forum members? Kidding, of course. Thanks again.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement side view mirror blinker for a 2002 C32 AMG.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230 SS
I've been lurking here for a couple years, scouring for tips when things aren't going right or I have a question.
I just signed up, and had resurrect this thread to say "Thanks". I'd been having mirror turn signal issues (2006 C230 SS) for a couple years. I'd replace one, and it would go flakey or stop working. A year ago, when I finally had both working most of the time, I asked my mechanic to fix the tabs and lock the mirrors back in place. Drivers has been solid. Passenger hasn't worked since. Last night I replaced it again. It worked for 2-3 flashes, then stopped. I pushed it in harder. Did the same thing. Tried again - no dice. After reading this, I took some sandpaper on a finishing nail to the contacts and sprayed them with DeOxit. Put the harness into the mirror. Worked. Bent the metal tab back out to secure the mirror housing, put it all back together - still works!
Thanks so much for the awesome info.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
I've had these issues for awhile now...even bought new housings and spliced into the wires to bypass the connectors and i still get issues...its the most annoying thing ever!