C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Saaboteur's C55

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Put this lovely, enamel Affalterbach hood badge on a while back. Got it privately from another forum member, not sure where he got it, so I can't say more unfortunately! It is very nice though, not cheap plastic. It is secured with two part epoxy to a Schaetz hood badge holder, I basically just discarded the one that came with the Schaetz piece.

And then the 5.5 badges. I had a look at some photos of a W211 E63 and tried to replicate the positioning. Eventually I used some masking tape to approximate the location on both sides and that was that.

Next I would like to get a CLK grille, still trying to decide if I should get an eBay single fin one, or try to get an OE one. The problem with the eBay ones is that a) you need to be sure you get a 'gapless' one and b) when you do get the right one, it seems that the Mercedes star has a solid backing, not perforated like OE. If it's perforated, then it won't be blocking airflow...not that I push the car ultra hard, but I like the functionality of the idea.

Last edited by Saaboteur; 07-03-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG, CLK550
The car looks great!
Old 07-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
great car buddy.
now you have the same flatbadge on your hood like on my car.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not strictly C55 related, but I picked up another car for the snowy winter days - an '02 Audi Avant Quattro 1.8T. I had considered an '02+ ML500, my buddy's '03 4Runner, Volvo V70R or XC70s (last generation), perhaps going back to my Saab roots (sorta) with a WRX based 9-2X, and even another Land Rover, an '03 Discovery II.

But being quite cheap, I didn't want to spend too much, so unfortunately that ruled out the nicer V70Rs, which I would really like. But they have very expensive to replace suspension components, the 4-C adaptive dampers are about $500 per corner, and that was the cheapest I could find with IPD. The Volvo wagons would be just huge inside, but probably the least 'fun' as they are not really full time AWD. Well, the R would probably be alright, but the XC70 not so much.

A 9-2X would be cool and probably the most fun, but a bit small on space. The MLs I found were all quite high mileage and when I sat inside one, I was quite grossed out by the cheap interior. That left the Discovery II, and while it would be great to have another SUV, fuel economy would suffer. And strange as it may sound, I prefered the idea of an W163 ML that I could lower and make into an urban monster, whereas the Discovery is a bit of a different fish.

That led me to thinking about the Audi A4, and when I found a local one that was cheap, 5-speed manual and with recent major maintenance and some light performance mods, I jumped on it. Nevermind the fact that it has a bit of corrosion which Audi Canada is supposed to be investigating, nor that it has a few dings. I looked at it as coming pre-damaged, so I wouldn't have to worry so much about other drivers in the winter!

The car had recent timing belt service, thermostat/coolant neck replaced, plus all front end suspension components, newish Bilstein HD shocks, two sets of wheels and tires, APR Stage 1+, Audi TT injectors, later Audi 2.0L coil packs, APR 'snub mount' and also upgraded transmission mount. The car also came with an upgraded, Chinese made double DIN factory replacement stereo with NAV, iPod and Bluetooth, but I'm still trying to figure out the Bluetooth connectivity, not quite working yet.

I'm looking into picking up some Eibach Pro-Kit springs and Koni shocks which a seller will throw in for free, and then a short shifter. That will be it for performance mods. Then it'll just be about fixing up the bodywork, some Weathertech heavy duty all weather floor mats and cargo liner, maybe some larger wheels (but the AMG Monoblocks will fit, so....) and a brake service. Good to go!

Some pix:

Old 08-09-2012, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
nice man, i wish i could throw some cash a winter beater...would def love to have a truck/suv...and also just signed up for AMG private lounge which i never heard of until your post so i sent a PM to them for the stickers, hopefully I'll still be able to get some!

regards!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Not strictly C55 related, but I picked up another car for the snowy winter days - an '02 Audi Avant Quattro 1.8T. I had considered an '02+ ML500, my buddy's '03 4Runner, Volvo V70R or XC70s (last generation), perhaps going back to my Saab roots (sorta) with a WRX based 9-2X, and even another Land Rover, an '03 Discovery II.

But being quite cheap, I didn't want to spend too much, so unfortunately that ruled out the nicer V70Rs, which I would really like. But they have very expensive to replace suspension components, the 4-C adaptive dampers are about $500 per corner, and that was the cheapest I could find with IPD. The Volvo wagons would be just huge inside, but probably the least 'fun' as they are not really full time AWD. Well, the R would probably be alright, but the XC70 not so much.

A 9-2X would be cool and probably the most fun, but a bit small on space. The MLs I found were all quite high mileage and when I sat inside one, I was quite grossed out by the cheap interior. That left the Discovery II, and while it would be great to have another SUV, fuel economy would suffer. And strange as it may sound, I prefered the idea of an W163 ML that I could lower and make into an urban monster, whereas the Discovery is a bit of a different fish.

That led me to thinking about the Audi A4, and when I found a local one that was cheap, 5-speed manual and with recent major maintenance and some light performance mods, I jumped on it. Nevermind the fact that it has a bit of corrosion which Audi Canada is supposed to be investigating, nor that it has a few dings. I looked at it as coming pre-damaged, so I wouldn't have to worry so much about other drivers in the winter!

The car had recent timing belt service, thermostat/coolant neck replaced, plus all front end suspension components, newish Bilstein HD shocks, two sets of wheels and tires, APR Stage 1+, Audi TT injectors, later Audi 2.0L coil packs, APR 'snub mount' and also upgraded transmission mount. The car also came with an upgraded, Chinese made double DIN factory replacement stereo with NAV, iPod and Bluetooth, but I'm still trying to figure out the Bluetooth connectivity, not quite working yet.

I'm looking into picking up some Eibach Pro-Kit springs and Koni shocks which a seller will throw in for free, and then a short shifter. That will be it for performance mods. Then it'll just be about fixing up the bodywork, some Weathertech heavy duty all weather floor mats and cargo liner, maybe some larger wheels (but the AMG Monoblocks will fit, so....) and a brake service. Good to go!

Some pix:

This would be a good car to mod and can be made to run faster than any of the above cars that you have owned. I've seen these cars turned into complete BEASTS!

Especially if this one is AWD which I will assume it is.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes to Quattro AWD, but no to more mods! . Just going to leave it the way it is really...
Old 08-10-2012, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
I wish I had the confidence to tackle that C63 paddle project...
NICE WORK
Old 08-26-2012, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A link to my C43 thread with pictures of both cars!

https://mbworld.org/forums/5334472-post744.html
Old 08-26-2012, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
I keep hearing everyone talk about the star being perforated for air flow but I can't help but wonder how exactly it blocks any airflow to the dual intakes that sit nearly 6" away to either side of the star...or are you referring to strictly the radiator?
Old 08-27-2012, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, not blocking airflow to the air intakes, but to the rad and other heat exchangers there. I'm sure it's not a huge deal, but my personal feeling is to have the optimum when possible.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Some pictures with the C43:

Old 08-30-2012, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interesting to compare the ride heights of the two cars. The C55 is stock. The C43 is on Vogtland springs with #5 pads up front, #4 pads rear (not slammed, there is some reasonable fender clearance). Before the C43 looked like an offroader.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
So here is a question for you: if you could only keep one of these C-AMG cars, which one would it be?......and why?

And be honest, which one do you actually like more?

Would love to see your responses.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
So here is a question for you: if you could only keep one of these C-AMG cars, which one would it be?......and why?

And be honest, which one do you actually like more?

Would love to see your responses.
That's an interesting question, as I have been pondering it myself. I'm actually not keeping both! Technically. The C43 is going to be sold to my parents. They have cast covetous eyes on it. So that's why my sig says 'sold but not gone' as it'll stay in the family, and I'll still get to use it once in a while. I just couldn't bear the thought of it going to a buyer off the street, not after all the work, money, parts and effort into it. Everything is pretty fresh underneath, not to mention paint a couple years ago. My wife thinks the car looks 'gangster' now. It's going to be funny seeing my 60+ year old parents getting into and out of it!

But to answer the question...just considering the C43 vs. C55, stock vs. stock, I would keep the C55. It is better in every way, I've posted about this before in another thread. More power, more luxury and gadgets (memory seats, convenience seat sliding function, steering wheel controls for menu items and stereo, dipping mirror). It is overall a better car objectively.

I drove the C43 a bit last night after I mounted the 18s. Now I did not get really sticky rubber, just Yokohoma performance all seasons. There's a traffic circle near my house that I have fun in once in a while. The S2000 devours it. Surprisingly, the C55 loves it too, but it is on summer rubber only. The C43 is better on the 18s, but the steering is lighter and slower than the C55. The KMac bushings I have in the C43 squeak too, which is annoying. Probably just need to turn up the stereo I guess. And even with the Vogtland/Bilstein suspension combination, the C43 felt lost at sea in the corners. But did one buy an AMG of this vintage for cornering prowess? Probably not.

Aesthetically, I find the C43's looks more classic and aggressive at the same time. It is really the last link of all modern Mercedes to the W124s, especially the 500E. After that, the shapes were notably different. BUT, and it's a big but, the C55's interior is better, more modern.

But as to these particular cars, if pushed I would keep the C43 merely because of the resto-mod efforts I've put into it. And I will swap the 55 motor in soon too. I'm not sure that counts, that is completely subjective.

My plan was actually to just drive the swapped C43 until C63 prices dropped enough to be palatable for me. As it stands, I think I will stay in the C55 until that point. The paddle shifters I put in make it more fun, and I've grown used to the car's features and power too. I still stand by the comment that the C55 is 2/3 the car of the C63 at about 1/3 the price (with the current market anyway), and it's hard to go wrong with that equation. Maybe it's a 'grass is always greener' concept, but the C63 marries exceptional power and torque with aggressive looks more reminiscent of the C43.

I love both cars, and am fortunate enough to (kinda) keep both of them around. As it stands, two drivers in my household and five cars outside is, even by my standards, excessive!

When I get more time and the 55 swapped into the C43, I'll revisit this question with more thoughts.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So sad...my parents drove the C43 back to their place last night.
Doubly sad because the offset of the 18" Monoblocks is basically PERFECT, in my view. No poke, no 'hellaflush', but basically...'sortaflush'. Looks great. The C55 is now too conservative! Hoping to rectify that with some spacers soon.

Before they drove the car away, I shot a few pictures of the two AMGs after a slight rain. Everyone loves pictures of rain drops on cars, right?

Old 09-04-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 C55 AMG
What size spacer would you use? Do you have 245 or 255 rear tires?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm all stock for suspension and wheels. The only thing non standard are the rear tire sizes, up to 255s from 245s. Thinking of 10mm spacers. I think if I was lowered, it might not work, but another fellow used 10mm spacers with stock suspension and seemed to be okay.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Picked up a three fin CLK grille. Easy swap. First time a friend saw my car again, he asked if I bought a new car! And my wife likes the look too, so that's cool. Perfect compliment to the Affalterbach badge already on there.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That looks awesome, I wasn't really a fan before seeing this pic. - The star usually is too big
Old 10-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Hell yeah, well done Mr.SAAB
Grille looks great on your car.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...still jealous about the C63 paddles
Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yep, the CLK grille looks great. I'm glad I have the triple fin as opposed to the four fin though. The latter seems a bit busy.

Ghiaguy, the 63 paddles isn't too difficult, just time consuming as you have to be careful. Just dive in and do it! But know that once you start, you can't go back...I did a DIY write up on it, I think I linked to it in this thread.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Ghiaguy, the 63 paddles isn't too difficult, just time consuming as you have to be careful. Just dive in and do it! But know that once you start, you can't go back...I did a DIY write up on it, I think I linked to it in this thread.
Yeah, I'll get around to it someday. I did read through your flappy paddle walk-through shortly after I bought the car- it will be indispensable when I jump in. Great writeup & beautiful car man!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55
Been looking at new grills for my C55. Where'd you find the CL style 3 fin? Saw some on eBay but not sure about them. Recommendations on where to pick one up?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Saaboteur's C55