C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Dustin's '06 C55 progress thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 01:33 AM

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts
2011 C63 AMG, 589hp
Really cool project.. will look in this thread from here on.
PTE cams?
Where to find?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Originally Posted by swedepat
PTE cams?
Where to find?
PM Patrick at PTE Engineering
He is on here.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 C55, 1995 C36
Well guys, went to the dyno for the retune and left a bit dissapointed. I was hoping for the retune to yield a little more power, but Jerry looked over the a/f on my baseline pulls and said the car had adapted nicely and he didn't think anything needed to be changed. On top of that, I had MUCH lower numbers as compared to last time at the same dyno. I didn't realize at the time, but I had left the trans in C mode...I'm wondering if all 3 pulls were done in 5th gear since it starts in 2nd in C? Either that or the dyno was WAY out of calibration when I got the headers done. Or maybe it is out now... I'll see if the shop can give me a plot with speed instead of rpm tomorrow to verify... Anyway, since I didn't need any tweaking on the tune, I'm going to find a dyno thats closer to home and get a new baseline in the next few weeks.

If you look at the first pic, this is probably the most useful graph of the bunch. It's a comparison of the car bone-stock to today. The torque curve tells the whole story of how the car feels on drag radials after the cams. I have a dip @ 2800, which could be due to the variable intake switching runner length, but then it really gets fun Also here is the link to my last dyno https://mbworld.org/forums/4907958-post1.html as well as an attached pic of today's.

PTE cams?
Where to find?
Thanks, watching what you are doing as well

Like Moose said, pm member "PTE", he had a few new sets left last year. They're not going to be cheap though lol

Moose, that sig is hypnotic lol
Attached Thumbnails Dustin's '06 C55 progress thread-dyno1.jpg   Dustin's '06 C55 progress thread-scan0002.jpg  

Last edited by dre5373; 04-04-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
As you'll recall, I was very unhappy with my dyno numbers as well. Who knows.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
How much did those cams run you/install?
Old 04-05-2013, 04:56 PM

2006 C55, 1995 C36
Originally Posted by 91RS
As you'll recall, I was very unhappy with my dyno numbers as well. Who knows.
I'm not really concerned much about the actual numbers, more that I didn't get a usable delta for the mods since last time.
Your situation bums me out though...I was really hoping to see good numbers as the Klee sc is the only FI option for us. Given your review of install and results, I'm less than enthused now.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:00 PM

2006 C55, 1995 C36
Originally Posted by RLx02
How much did those cams run you/install?
I picked them up for around $1600 iirc, installed them myself which was tedious, but straightforward. Add about $100 or so more for replacement cam bridge bolts which should NOT be reused and was not mentioned in the Kleemann cam instructions available online.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:46 PM

2006 C55, 1995 C36
Went to the dyno again guys, this time it was a local Dyno Dynamics with correction to SAE Dynojet numbers (they have a dynojet as well and regularly check for accuracy). Also attached is an AFR printout. Looks pretty rich to me. I don't get why Eurocharged didn't want to lean it out a bit.

The shop I dynoed at was Tech Tune FS, apparently pretty popular with the BMW crowd around here. The owner, Frank Smith, owns an E55 and says he has the capability of tweaking the Eurocharged tune up to 12.8-13.0 @ WOT.

Thoughts on the AFRs?
Attached Thumbnails Dustin's '06 C55 progress thread-ddafr.jpg   Dustin's '06 C55 progress thread-dd_1.jpg  

Last edited by dre5373; 04-09-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:50 PM

2011 C63 AMG, 589hp
As i can see in AFR chart, when dropping underneeth 12.5 the powercurve also drops off a bit.. small but noticable.
A fair guess, tune it to 12.5 in whole register and you might gain 5-10hp

but i do not promise anything
Old 04-10-2013, 01:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 C55 AMG
Seems right on par for 115mph trap speed.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:25 AM

2011 C63 AMG, 589hp
yes.. when hard accelerating you might want a bit rich.
But you might lose topspeed.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
kleeman isn't the ONLY option for FI set up on our cars bro
Old 04-11-2013, 09:51 PM

2006 C55, 1995 C36
Originally Posted by maverik259
kleeman isn't the ONLY option for FI set up on our cars bro
Worded poorly on my part lol

I haven't even once considered the Renntech SC as an option for me. Double the price of the Kleemann setup for less power? No thanks.

HPS is defunct to the best of my knowledge, so I'd worry I might be screwed if I purchased a used kit and needed parts, plus they also seem to pale compared to the Klee SC's output potential. Scratch option 2.

Did you see Blackbenzz started a thread in the E55 section about retrofitting the Weistec SC?
He says he's running a stock bottom end, so maybe we'll see were the real limitations of the NA mill are...if he runs it at an MIR rental for the first time, I am SOOO there! That thing is going to be an absolute monster!!!!

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...tec-clk55.html
Old 04-18-2013, 11:49 PM

2006 C55, 1995 C36
Two updates...

#1. I have corresponded with Jake @ EC regarding the updated dyno and the lower afr's. The decision to not change the tune is due to EC's experience in finding the best power for the n/a 55 by running aggressive timing with correspondingly richer afr's to control detonation. Works for me

It does make me wonder though, I have a Sunoco down the street that sells GT260. 3.3% oxygenated but 100 (R+M)/2 octane. Might be a good idea for days at the drag strip. The oxygenation would lean me out a small bit for a few extra rwhp but a 7 point bump in octane over the pump 93 here, for (what I would think would be) at the least maintaining the safety factor Jake built into my current tune. Even at $9 a gallon, lol...after the cams price, I can't even begin to pretend I wouldn't spend the money for a slight performance boost. I'll try to find the time soon to email Jake and get his opinion.

#2. New goodies in pic below I should be installing within the next 2 weeks or so.
Attached Thumbnails Dustin's '06 C55 progress thread-2013-04-18_18-38-49_800.jpg  

Last edited by dre5373; 04-18-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:31 AM

2011 C63 AMG, 589hp
Where to buy those pulleys?
I tried to reach evosports site but it seems to be a work in progress or something.

Rgds
Patrick
Old 04-23-2013, 10:33 AM

2006 C55, 1995 C36
Where to buy those pulleys?
I tried to reach evosports site but it seems to be a work in progress or something.

Rgds
Patrick
I was fortunate enough to find a member selling the UDP's bnib...after I bought them, I tried to go on Evosport's website to pick up a spare belt and found the same thing you did...not encouraging.

You may want to try emailing them at the address on the bottom of their "Website", if one would even call it that.

sales@evosport.com

Best of luck!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:41 AM

2006 C55, 1995 C36
Forgot to mention that Jake @ EC said running higher octane oxygenated race gas would work perfect with my tune as-is

I need to do a little maintenance in the next few weeks, ie motor & trans mounts, catch can installation, crank and cam sensors, and getting some race cats installed to pass emissions, so probably no trips to the track for a bit, but I may hit the dyno again loaded with Sunoco GT260 (100oct/3.3% oxygenated) to see what difference it makes if any. Will update if that ends up happening.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'll be curious if the cats hurt your time. Your exhaust is fairly similar to mine except for I have cats.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:57 PM

2006 C55, 1995 C36
Well, looks like I need to add a few things to the maintenance list. My girl started acting up a bit over the past week and a half. Idle surging, stalling, VERY rough idle...cleaning the gunk out of my TB helped noticeably, but the issues accelerated QUICKLY after that. I'm used to driving with a CEL, so I have to admit that I don't pull out the code reader often enough. I checked pretty regularly when I first had the headers installed, but you know how it goes when you don't have issues for a while. Anyway, she was thowing multiple codes beyond the normal cat codes: P0140 (O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2 no activity), P0400 (EGR flow) and P0104 (MAF flow intermittent).

The O2 sensor is pretty easy, I'm going to be crossing 100K soon, so if one of a group of things has failed, replace them all. Got me thinking...

Spark plugs. Wires and coil packs will follow shortly, but I just ordered 16 IFR6D10's. I guess I figure the plugs will most likely lose efficiency first out of the three. I'm thinking I'll stick with the stock MB wires. I've heard mixed reviews of Magnecor's, which makes me hesitant. Opinions are welcome. Coilpacks will be stock MB unless someone can recommend a viable alternative.

As for the EGR code, I'd think it could have triggered the MAF code as well if my EGR valve is stuck open, essentially the same as a vacuum leak. Either way, being so close to 100K, I'm replacing both the EGR valve and the MAF sensor and inspecting all of the emmission lines and most likely replacing them soon even if I don't spot any issues. When I'm replacing the EGR, I'll clean out the aluminum EGR tube to the intake manifold and the valve cover breather ports and tubes. All of her symptoms lean towards an open EGR but one. I was heading up a 3 lane highway on a mountain and came across 2 lanes of very slow traffic. 3/4ths throttle brought on a downshift, and briefly after the downshift, my whole engine cut out for quarter of a second or so. Perhaps the EGR was just sticking at that point and the lack of temp-reducing recirculated exhaust caused knock and the ECU said time out? Not sure, it only happened that one time. Can't see how it could have been the bad O2 sensor. If it was the MAF, I'll have that fixed briefly. Lol...knock, crank and cam sensors will be relaced within the month. Take care of your girl and she'll take care of you attitude I guess

I'll be swapping the pulleys somewhere in his process, so I'll probably have some new dyno numbers after everything is done. Given that several members have posted their dyno gains with just the pulley swap, I'm interested to see if the maintenance has any additional effect on my rwhp numbers.

Not sure when the battery was last replaced, but the plan is to replace with a Braille lithium-ion GU1R (6.6 lbs and 800CCA!) with a battery relocation to the trunk some time this summer. Operation 11-second N/A will be underway

One last thing. I've been thinking about what I've done with my '55 so far; everything has been focused solely on improved performance via more power. I've been considering that it's time to start getting closer to the aesthetic vision I have in mind. Of course I'm always about killing two birds with one stone, so I think my next major purchase will be lightweight wheels with sticky summer rubber. Perhaps some gloss back 18" powdercoated TSW Nurburgring's with 235/265 AD08's?

Dustin's '06 C55 progress thread-1-dsc05624.jpg

I think they will go well with everything else I have in my head about exterior mods. Putting lots of thought into interior mods as well

Originally Posted by 91RS
I'll be curious if the cats hurt your time. Your exhaust is fairly similar to mine except for I have cats.
I hadn't thought about running it at the strip with cats. When I get them put in I was planning on having them fab some test pipes with V-bands so I can swap back after emmisions, but that is a damn good question! Guess I'll have to hit the T&T to get a comparison I was thinking of doing a comparison of DR's to street tires after I get some decent summer tires anyway. Gotta keep the hot summers here interesting somehow!
Old 05-03-2013, 06:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
I would change mass air meter first. You might solve your drivability stall with this. Gl great project!
Old 05-03-2013, 06:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would look into the EGR first. That could cause the other codes to set because its getting more air into the engine than the MAF is saying should be.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:36 AM

2006 C55, 1995 C36
Looks like it's BOTH the MAF as well as the EGR. I received the new Bosch MAF tonight and swapped it out. Went for a good 30-mile cruise, both light-to-light and highway to test everything out. It definitely feels better, but the idle surging is still there. Looks like I had 2 systems go bad at the same time, which is the WORST when it comes to troubleshooting!

I checked out all of the emmissions hoses while I was changing out the MAF. All looks good, but I realized I should probably change out the manifold pressure sensor soon when I do the cam and crank sensors.

I am already holding on to the Evosport UDP set and received the new plugs, (4) new O2 sensors, digital CLK climatronic and factory black floormats (interior upgrades begin!). Fingers crossed that the digital HVAC controls will work. Black floormats look slightly awkward now, but I've located a source for factory nappa leather in both Ash and black, so there is a plan for the interior to tie the black leather race seats, when I get to them, into a grand scheme

Plugs, O2 sensors, Climatronic and EGR valve will be changed out within 2 weeks depending on work obligations/vacation.

I know many of you don't care for the Ash Grey interior like I have in my 55. Personally, I absolutely love it, but #1 it's a B***H to keep clean, #2 there is no contrast to the interior and #3 Ash leather ages like s**t. Even with having the upgraded birdseye maple trim, the lack of contrast sucks. I think this is why most prefer the charcoal interior; the aluminum or poplar trim just POPS! I think a black interior with Ash accents will be OUTSTANDING. Updates will be slow, but this is where I'll most likely be heading after much thought. I'll update for input as I progress, but this is not a priority, so be warned! Just letting everyone know where I'm leaning

While on the subject of interior upgrades, I think I'll be pulling my stock birdseye maple for a CF trim kit. My reasoning is that we are really stuck when we look for head unit/ICE upgrades. I was really enthused about the Dynavin D99 Android, but given recent developments with their distributor, that now seems like a less-than-desirerable option. If I don't have an option that looks factory, I'd need an option that I can visually tie in to the existing center console with another method. Now I'm considering a double-DIN Pioneer with a dash install kit covered in CF to match a CF kit on the rest of the console. At this point, just thinking out loud, but it seems like it'll fit with the rest of what I plan.

I'll update when I receive and install the EGR and gasket; my remaining symptoms point in that direction, fingers crossed!
Old 05-05-2013, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
good luck
Old 05-05-2013, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As any MAF problems as I hear about on these cars, I've been tempted to throw one on my car just to see. I just don't want to spend the money. I need to fix the clunking in the suspension (hopefully sway-bar bushings).
Old 05-23-2013, 12:01 AM

2006 C55, 1995 C36
FINALLY getting some vacation time to work on the 55. In to the office for part of the day tomorrow, then hauling *** to my Dad's house until everything is done. Does anyone else have to take vacation days to spend in the office to be able to take REAL vacation days???

10 straight days where she will be in a garage on jack stands and the center of attention...ok, ok, to be honest, there will be lots of beer and fishing in the farm pond with my dad too .

Stopping by the dealer (or dealers, 4 between here and there) for crank and cam position sensors as well, figure they'll be added to the list below if in stock. Mostly dealing with regular maintenance with a tiny bit of show and go mixed in. If you can't tell in the parts pic, here's what will be changed:

All 4 O2 sensors
(one is throwing a code, time for all 4 to get swapped)

EGR valve/clean EGR tube
(Throwing a code as well; this looks like the main culprit for the idle surge, already replaced the MAF with a new Bosch; slight improvement, but not the whole issue. TB has already been cleaned and was disgusting, hence the NW catch can)

NGK Iridium plugs
(She's about to roll over to 100K, and to be honest I love regular maintenance almost as much as go-and-show mods )

Factory engine and trans mounts
(one engine mount has certainly given up the ghost per my SA during my trans fluid/filter svc, and I can feel it ESPECIALLY after the cam swap. Time to change them all, surprised they made it as long as they did!)

I will be doing a detailed inspection of all plug wires, wiring harnesses and vacuum lines. If any vacuum lines seem shady, I will replace. Issues with plug wires or harnesses, I will order parts and replace within a few weeks.

Evosport UDP kit
(Not going to be noticeable I'm sure, but everything will help in my quest for N/A 11's!)

Digital climate control unit
(Great if it works, not the end of the world if not)

NeedsWings Oil Catch Can
(Trial Run for the NW C32 setup on a C55. Originally I thought the SLK55 setup would be the better choice, but Rob @ NW steered me this way...after looking at more engine bay pics it looks like the better choice, thanks Rob!)

Begin prewiring for stereo installation, mediocre post-Maxxsonics-aquisition MB Quart amp and subs for now
(finally started nailing down the ICE plan, Parrot Asteroid Smart Android head unit, working on finding interior trim pieces to skin in CF. Possibly Polk speakers to keep it B'More local? Amps and drivers still not 100% settled)

While I have the time, I'll start poking around the rear to get a plan to relocate the battery to the trunk and make room for other future goodies...(6lb Lithium-Ion battery will be here sooner or later, definitely before next spring! ) stay tuned for the rest

I acheived my spring goal my first trip to the 1/4 this year, so the only reason for me to hit the strip before it starts cooling down this fall is to see what difference I see when I install cats for emissions in the next 3 months (deadline 8/21). That being said, after all of this regular maintenance is done, I will probably hit the dyno twice...#1 to see if there is a RWHP delta with the EGR/MAF/plugs/UDP/O2 Sensor, etc. maintenance and #2 to run some oxygenated race gas and see how she responds. I see some EX02 in my future, but I can fill up with Sunoco GT from the station 1/2 a mile down the road

I'll let you all know how it goes..
Attached Thumbnails Dustin's '06 C55 progress thread-parts.jpg  

Last edited by dre5373; 05-23-2013 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Pic!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Dustin's '06 C55 progress thread