C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

2002 C32 A/C Compressor Failure (Shelled Out)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
2002 C32 A/C Compressor Failure (Shelled Out)

I have a 2002 C32 with 160k+ miles. My A/C stopped blowing cold and I took it to a shop to have the A/C recharged. The A/C was blowing cold for less than a week and all of a sudden started blowing hot. I took it to an indie shop to have them look at it and they told me that the compressor had failed. They initially quoted me $1600 for a brand new compressor, temperature sensor, and possibly the dryer. As they got further in to the work they noticed that the compressor had completely "shelled out" and the compressor oil is black with metal shavings. Now they need to replace the condenser and the expansion valve and the total was going to be $2700.

Does that price sound right? I definitely feel that amount is way too much. I did source the parts at parts.com and it should come out to be around $1100, so $1600 for labor just sound like stealership prices. I may buy the parts myself and do a DIY. Has anyone had work done on their A/C before and how much did it cost you? What's the cheapest price that you've seen for our compressor.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32 amg
Originally Posted by loudandheard
I have a 2002 C32 with 160k+ miles. My A/C stopped blowing cold and I took it to a shop to have the A/C recharged. The A/C was blowing cold for less than a week and all of a sudden started blowing hot. I took it to an indie shop to have them look at it and they told me that the compressor had failed. They initially quoted me $1600 for a brand new compressor, temperature sensor, and possibly the dryer. As they got further in to the work they noticed that the compressor had completely "shelled out" and the compressor oil is black with metal shavings. Now they need to replace the condenser and the expansion valve and the total was going to be $2700.

Does that price sound right? I definitely feel that amount is way too much. I did source the parts at parts.com and it should come out to be around $1100, so $1600 for labor just sound like stealership prices. I may buy the parts myself and do a DIY. Has anyone had work done on their A/C before and how much did it cost you? What's the cheapest price that you've seen for our compressor.
I think I have the same problems....you have a rattle noise when in park or drive at a stop?
Old 05-25-2013, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by raf12690
I think I have the same problems....you have a rattle noise when in park or drive at a stop?
I do, but I didn't think it was related to the compressor.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
The plan is to get a new compressor, new condenser (includes new dryer and temperature sensor), and a new expansion valve. I'm going to have the a/c system completely flushed and then I'll install the new parts. I may do a diy as I go along. Doing it myself should cost me less than half of the $2500 I was quoted.

Does anybody have any tips or anything I should watch out for?
Old 09-10-2016, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by loudandheard
The plan is to get a new compressor, new condenser (includes new dryer and temperature sensor), and a new expansion valve. I'm going to have the a/c system completely flushed and then I'll install the new parts. I may do a diy as I go along. Doing it myself should cost me less than half of the $2500 I was quoted.

Does anybody have any tips or anything I should watch out for?
Hey friend I have to replace mine due to pulley wobbly and throwing out metal shavings did you ever do yours? Did you do a DIY?