Cleaning throttle body

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 08:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
Cleaning throttle body

Hi guys.

I have searched and searched, but can't find a "how-to" clean the throttle body with pics for our cars. THere's tons of info for the m112 and pelicanparts has a nice write-up on the C320, but is there a concise DIY with pics for the C55?

I have the rough idling/surging when cold issue and I've read lots of MAF threads, but can't find pics on how to get to the MAF and TB.

Nothing in the "how-to" section for the C55 - as far as I could tell.

Tks for any help!!
Old 12-21-2013, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...-cleaning.html
Old 12-22-2013, 11:02 PM

Tks. I did see this post before, but like many others, it presupposes one knows how to get to the TB. I don't. Someone posted this link:

http://www.marcusfitzhugh.com/CLK/DIY/maf.html

Which is for a clk 430. I'll have to use this as a guide. Hopefully it's similar to our C55 motor.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
yeah same m113- its easy, just have patience with the elbow after the MAF. It hooks over the top and bottom of the TB inlet.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:36 AM

Well thanks to mild weather this past weekend, (NYC), I was able to get to the throttle body using these two links:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm

As suspected, there was quite a build-up of sludge. I cleaned it with CRC Throttle body cleaner as suggested by many posts here, and we'll see how it turns out one cold morning.

As stated earlier, I could not find anything in the "how to" section, and despite many threads on the MAF issue, there isn't much to use for a first-time DIYer that has pics to get to the MAF/throttle body. It may be a good idea to post both links to the "how-to" section.

Besides oil changes, this was my first time working on the AMG. It wasn't bad, but that throttle housing clip is finicky to work with, and the air hose from TB to manifold is also tricky. (At 60K, the manifold side has crystallized, so that needs replacing in my situation). Besides that, it's not too difficult to get to the TB and at Least clean it. Just wanted to share/document this with the links. Thank you GhiaGuy, and many thanks to those who created the write-ups/pics to the links, and for those who posted them in this forum!
Old 12-30-2013, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 AMG C32 MERCEDES BENS
user manual for c32 amg

good day all where can i download a user manual for my car c32 amg
Old 01-18-2014, 07:40 PM

mercedes CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by gnma
Well thanks to mild weather this past weekend, (NYC), I was able to get to the throttle body using these two links:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm

As suspected, there was quite a build-up of sludge. I cleaned it with CRC Throttle body cleaner as suggested by many posts here, and we'll see how it turns out one cold morning.

As stated earlier, I could not find anything in the "how to" section, and despite many threads on the MAF issue, there isn't much to use for a first-time DIYer that has pics to get to the MAF/throttle body. It may be a good idea to post both links to the "how-to" section.

Besides oil changes, this was my first time working on the AMG. It wasn't bad, but that throttle housing clip is finicky to work with, and the air hose from TB to manifold is also tricky. (At 60K, the manifold side has crystallized, so that needs replacing in my situation). Besides that, it's not too difficult to get to the TB and at Least clean it. Just wanted to share/document this with the links. Thank you GhiaGuy, and many thanks to those who created the write-ups/pics to the links, and for those who posted them in this forum!
hi bud
does the TB needs a regeneration on a star after the clean or the ecu reprograms itself after a while?
thanks
Old 01-19-2014, 09:04 PM

C32 AMG, 997, Mustang '66
There is really no point cleaning a Electronically controlled TB. The most I did was oil my gears. I went to order a new one as preventative maintenance.

MAF and MAP sensor I agree you can clean with electronic solvent, but for any Merc, I wouldn't bother cleaning the TB. It won't cure your surge issues.

The contacts shouldn't even be dirty in the first place, if it is, means the seal around the plastic housing has a leak. And it's only a matter of time since it's been exposed to oxidation etc that it'll give way.

Start saving for now until it really dies.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:38 AM

Would just like to report to all that after weeks of 20 degree F weather, since cleaning my TB (I initiated this thread), I have not had any rough idling/surging after cold start ups. Tks to all that contributed to cleaning the TB idea!

PS - astamir, I did not need a "star regeneration".

Last edited by gnma; 02-08-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:04 PM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
'16 C63s
I cleaned out my TB and MAF sensor yesterday, as I was beginning to confront the same issues (rough idle, sudden RPM increase, stalling). The car stalled 5 times yesterday morning and, after the cleaning, it idled smoother and drove issue-free this morning.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
What are you talking about? Just because its "electronically" controlled doesn't mean there is "no point" in cleaning it! Yes the ECU will compensate for mass air flow but it still will mess you up and cause surging and bad starts on cold mornings if it is too dirty (hence why this thread exists and has solved many of these issues including my own). The very next morning after cleaning my TB I had ZERO surge issues or stalls. Up until that point if I parked my car outside my garage over night it would lunge on me and stalled several times nearly causing an accident because I lost all power steering during a turn, if I didn't keep the RPM's up.

Please think before you post.

Originally Posted by gwin
There is really no point cleaning a Electronically controlled TB. The most I did was oil my gears. I went to order a new one as preventative maintenance.

MAF and MAP sensor I agree you can clean with electronic solvent, but for any Merc, I wouldn't bother cleaning the TB. It won't cure your surge issues.

The contacts shouldn't even be dirty in the first place, if it is, means the seal around the plastic housing has a leak. And it's only a matter of time since it's been exposed to oxidation etc that it'll give way.

Start saving for now until it really dies.