C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

new c55 and strange electrical issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 c32 amg 94 3000gt vr4
new c55 and strange electrical issues

I traded in the c32 a little over a week ago on a 2006 c55 and absolutely love the car. My c32 was bulletproof till 215k miles so im hoping the c55 is the same. But after a week im noticing some issues.

The light keeps coming on saying my drivers door is open when its not while driving.

The alarm kept going off every 2 hours last night. until i just left the car unlocked and it stopped - thinking this is related to the door issue

and its telling me the engine has too much oil in it - assuming this is a valid concern so im bringing it in for a low mileage oil change to the dealer and an inspection next week.

I have a warranty with the car but would love to know if these are common issues. I have done some searching and am leaning towards a faulty SAM and a failing siren but am unsure. I have a independent shop quality code scanner so i will try and pull the codes later today for info. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Also, planning on k&ns and a tune. Any other basic upgrades to perform on the car starting out?
Are there any good options for Iphone integration? i have a 4s and a 5. Would love to listen to spotify in the car, either wired or via bluetooth.

Last edited by twinttsvr4; 04-04-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Adding Questions
Old 04-04-2014, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
I haven't heard of this problem before, but I don't think it's a faulty alarm because I have a bad siren and the symptoms of that would simply be that the alarm doesn't work. It would also keep blowing the fuse for the alarm and make your keyless entry not work (b/c they are on the same fuse).

There should be some sort of sensor that detects whether or not the door is open or closed and it sounds like that is your problem. I'm just speculating, but that would be my best guess based on what you described.

I just did a quick google search on "w203 door sensor" to see if there is such a thing and came up with this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221362584845?lpid=82
I'm sure there has to be a sensor that sends a signal when the door isn't fully closed, and it could be related to this "door control module." Good luck!
Old 04-04-2014, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
To answer your other question: get the secondary cats and resonator cut out. That's all you really need to do to the exhaust and it will sound AMAZING. K&N's and tune are good too.

I haven't done these yet, but I am going to upgrade to H&R front and rear sway bars, and eventually Bilstein adjustable coil overs.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:31 AM

02 c32 amg 94 3000gt vr4
It has been having issues with the Keyless entry as well. I assumed it was just a battery going bad in the key. But there are times it does nothing after pushing the button multiple times. Then finally it will lock.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your siren probably is on the verge of going bad then. Mine did that too until it eventually just stopped, but I didn't have the strange alarm going off and door open thing you have.

In any case, here is a test you could try and this is what I did for now until I get a new alarm. The alarms are about $130-140. The fuse for the antenna amplifier located in the rear fuse box in the trunk kept blowing. When I would replace the fuse it would just blow immediately upon plugging it in. The antenna amplifier is what your keyless entry works off of.

When I was researching the keyless entry issue, I went to the back of the car and found the fuse that kept blowing. I took the fuse box off its bracket and looked at the back where all of the harnesses plug into it. I found that there are a couple of harnesses that plug into the sockets for this fuse (I can't remember the number but just look at the fuse diagram and it will tell you).

One harness has wires that go to the antenna amplifier which is at the top of the rear windshield. Anonther has wires that run towards the front and under the seats and floor to the front of the car somewhere (this one runs to the alarm siren in the front of the car).

What I did was unplug the harness that runs to the alarm and I found that when I put the fuse in then, it did not blow and my keyless entry now worked. So basically I used process of elimination to find the issue with the circuit.

Give this a try and see if your keyless entry works better when you disconnect the alarm entirely from the fuse box. If it does, then you've narrowed it down to the alarm being an issue. This should give you a good start to solving the problem.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Re: iPhone integration - I will soon have my Dension iPod and Bluetooth unit for sale, let me know if you're interested.

The other option is a mObridge piece. I think they basically do the same thing. I recently switched out the Dension for an iTronics (which is basically a rebadged mObridge unit). One thing I did notice is that while the Dension could properly control my two year old iPod Nano, the iTronics could not - see my recent posts in my thread. The Dension 'remembered' the last track on the Nano, but I had to revert to my 3GS to get the iTronics to do that. Could be it just needs a software upgrade though.

I found the car not having a physical dipstick to be quite annoying. If you ever do your own oil changes, just remember that there are actually two oil drain plugs! Took me a little while to figure that one out, duuhhh!!

Does your car have nav?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:26 AM

02 c32 amg 94 3000gt vr4
Yes it has nav, and im used to the non physical dipstick from my c32. Does your bluetooth unit show the contacts on the command screen?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Re: iPhone integration - I will soon have my Dension iPod and Bluetooth unit for sale, let me know if you're interested.

The other option is a mObridge piece. I think they basically do the same thing. I recently switched out the Dension for an iTronics (which is basically a rebadged mObridge unit). One thing I did notice is that while the Dension could properly control my two year old iPod Nano, the iTronics could not - see my recent posts in my thread. The Dension 'remembered' the last track on the Nano, but I had to revert to my 3GS to get the iTronics to do that. Could be it just needs a software upgrade though.

I found the car not having a physical dipstick to be quite annoying. If you ever do your own oil changes, just remember that there are actually two oil drain plugs! Took me a little while to figure that one out, duuhhh!!

Does your car have nav?
Where is the 2nd drain plug???? I read about that and last time I changed my oil I looked, and looked, and looked, and looked and I definitely only have one drain plug on my C55?

Also, what are you selling the Dension unit for?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You need to remove not just the front belly pan, but the one further behind too. The second drain plug points backwards, you can't see it until you remove the second belly pan. I felt so stupid before I figured it out. Fail.

PM me if you're keen on the Dension.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interesting, that's the drain plug that I know about, where is the 1st one lol
Old 04-04-2014, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOL, the other drain plug is accessible from the driver's side, need to remove the front belly pan for that.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
LOL, the other drain plug is accessible from the driver's side, need to remove the front belly pan for that.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C55 AMG, 2000 C280 Sport, 2010 GLK350 4Matic
I have the factory Bluetooth installed and it downloads my contacts into COMAND every time I get in the car. It'll even upload the recent calls list.

I also have the iPod integration kit from MB. While you can listen to Spotify, it requires plugging it into the iPod cable. I replaced my AUX port for the MB iPod integration kit. There are Bluetooth options out there as well such as a Bluetooth dongle you can plug into the existing iPod kit. I just went this route because I wanted to keep everything OEM/Factory.

I have a 2006 which has been great so far except it's minor electrical issues such as faulty sensors for the 'windshield washer fluid level' and 'coolant level'. Other than that it's a beautiful car (apparently my car doesn't like to be left sitting around longer than 2 weeks)