C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

please help. loud and rapid clicking noise from front

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by K3nD
Uhmm.. I might have spoken a little too soon. Shortly after writing my last post above I was sitting in my living room looking at my bank account trying to figure out how I can afford this transmission rebuild and gave up not long after..lol since I couldnt find anyone in this forum that has similar issues to mine - I did a google search out of boredom, "tiptronic transmission grinding". One of the first things the popped up from the search was a Porsche forum. Looks like somebody with an expensive 911 is having similar issues with his tranny. This person took the car back it to the dealership for diagnosis and it turns out that the fix was a simple ecu reset and all grinds are gone. At this very moment I remember something that happened my car as soon as I picked it up from the mechanic earlier today. The throttle response was a lot sharper than what I was used to and the transmission actually shifted a lot smoother and more crisp. Almost like what everyone here described after a successful ecu reset. So I'm sitting on my couch thinking the mechanic this morning might have reseted my ecu while working on the car and could it be that my issue could possible have gone away just like the Porsche guy? I said no way a simple ecu reset could could fix anything mechanical. Well let's just say that curiosity got the better of me and I decided to take the car out for a spin. I put the car on manual I tried downshifting at from 3rd to 2nd at 2.5k rmp (where I would previously experience the grinding noise) and it downshifted PERFECTLY with no grinding noise whatsoever. I said this can't be true - so I tried downshifting at a even higher rmp 3.5k (previously this would also trigger the grinding noise) no grinding noise - just crisp gear change and sharp throttle response. So I drove around block a few times downshifting and up shifting aggressively at different gears trying to recreate this grinding noise that has haunted me for while but the only noise I heard was the rumble of the 5.4l v8 under the hood. Went back home, sat on the couch and pondered on what just happened the last 15 mins. I still couldn't believe it so I got back in the car and took her for a spin for a second time and I still can't replicate the grinding noise no matter How shift manually...... I still have my doubts about this simple and unintentional fix but for now everything seems to be working good and I guess only time will tell. I'll call the shop tomorrow and ask them exactly what it was they did to my car when they had it and I'll keep y'all's posted.
Glad to hear it worked out for you at a very minimal cost!
Old 07-30-2014, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
That's a hell-of-a lot better than a rebuilt trans cost
Old 07-30-2014, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
Fingers crossed man! Let us know
Old 07-30-2014, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C63 Coupe P31
on a different note that ecu reset the mechanic did yesterday via the star diagnostic brought the beast back in the car. Holy cow! I haven't been this excited to drive the car a while. I get the goosebumps again every time I press the throttle. I just came back from lunch and im literally still shaking and adrenaline pumping from the freeway ride back to work. LOL.. now if i can only figure out how to reset the ecu without taking it to the mechanic all time (gas pedal procedure doesn't work for me).
Old 07-30-2014, 08:22 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Sorry to hear of your transmissions death. I'm surprised, the 722.6 is very durable and reliable. Your transmission must have been ran low on fluid or something at some point in its life. I have an ML55 amg with high mileage and the transmission shifts like a dream. I also work for benz and have seen this transmission with more than 500,000 kilometers on them... (seen cases where the pilot bushing leaks forever and the owner doesn't realize and ends up driving the transmission low on fluid and ultimately killing it, this is a big problem with the 722.6 but the part is cheap and takes 5 minutes to replace)

Last edited by Supgee; 07-30-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:58 PM

2013 C63 Coupe P31
update - as suspected the ECU reset only worked as a temporary fix - grinding noise is back on manual downshifts . Disconnected the battery for a couple of hours this morning and grinding is gone again.

Let me know if I'm talking out of my *** here but logic is saying that somehow the computer is sending the right message to the transmission when its on "learning mode" and once it learns my driving pattern then somehow it send a corrupted message to the tranny creating the problem again. there's no doubt in my mind this tranny needs a overhaul regardless if the grinding noise goes away or not - who knows kind of damage this has already caused inside.

question - before I get this thing rebuild is there some sort of software update for our transmission that I should know about to prevent damaging the newly rebuilt tranny?

Any input is appreciated.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:02 PM

2003 C32 AMG
K3nD there is actually a software update on the 203 body for the ME (motor electronics) and I'm not sure but I think there is an update for the TCU as well. It really doesn't do anything that the end user (driver) cares about though. Your transmission is definitely toasted.

I'm just spitballing, but in my mind it makes sense that the grinding goes way when the TCU reset is performed. The torque converter is probably not locking up as harsh during the re-learn period. These cars actually have a lockup clutch in each gear, it's possible the transmission is not working as hard during the relearn procedure. (just an idea?)
Old 07-31-2014, 08:53 PM

2013 C63 Coupe P31
Originally Posted by Supgee
Your transmission is definitely toasted.
Thanks for the vote of confidence man.. Lol - I know it's toast and I will have it rebuild. Just weird that this never had the tell tale sign of a transmission going bad. I bet if I had you drive car the on s or c mode you would never guess there was such a big issue with the tranny. No slipping no delayed engagement no stalling, transmission fluid good no burn smell no weird vibration - even when it's making the grinding noise you can't feel anything unusual in the car. And if you tell me that it will eventually go out in a big white smoke - I've notice this grinding noise about 8 months ago. Believe it or not I actually forgot it had this issue since I don't drive the car in manual mode at all. And the issue doesn't seem to get any worse. Just weird.

Last edited by K3nD; 07-31-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:33 PM

2002 C320
I would advise you to get more than just a couple of opinions on this. I had a 1994 2wd S10 truck back several years ago. All of a sudden out of the blue the transmission, when in D, would go from 1st to OD by the time I would get to 10 miles an hour. No shifting in between. Just straight from 1st to OD. If I manually shifted the tranny it did fine. A couple of tranny shops said it needed to be rebuilt to the tune of $850. I finally went to Mr. Transmission and they said they got a TSB on these transmissions and when they looked it up, the ECU on the 2wd and 4wd was the same ECU. And on some the ECU would think the truck was in 4LOW out of nowhere. They clipped one wire going into the ECU and all was well. Cost me $75 to fix it. They said that even if I had rebuilt the tranny that it would not have fixed the issue.

Moral of that long winded response...

Get MANY opinions. That is just my uneducated opinion on the matter.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:39 AM

2006 C55 AMG, 2000 C280 Sport, 2010 GLK350 4Matic
Originally Posted by K3nD
update - as suspected the ECU reset only worked as a temporary fix - grinding noise is back on manual downshifts . Disconnected the battery for a couple of hours this morning and grinding is gone again.

I heard the same thing a week ago. But I forgot gear changes made the noise. Experienced this while in manual mode.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:34 AM

2013 C63 Coupe P31
Originally Posted by SamIam43vr
I heard the same thing a week ago. But I forgot gear changes made the noise. Experienced this while in manual mode.
Your having the same issue as mine? Having you taken your car in for for a diagnosis?
Old 08-01-2014, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
So, does this only occur while shifting in manual mode? Can you replicate it in S or C? If its only in M mode, there may be a shift solenoid or something that only operates while you shift yourself that is the problem. I can't image it not grinding in other modes if it is a terminal mechanical problem...
Old 08-01-2014, 04:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203

Last edited by Design4111; 08-01-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:52 PM

2005 C55
K3nd, what happened to your transmission difficulty in the end? Was there a solution?
Old 06-20-2016, 10:28 PM

2013 C63 Coupe P31
Originally Posted by Naugamanator
K3nd, what happened to your transmission difficulty in the end? Was there a solution?
Weirdly enough I haven't been able to replicate the issue. It's been about 2 years since I last had the grinding symptoms. I haven't done anything to address the issue except a recent tranny flush and pwm solenoid replacement. Besides that I've been disconnecting the battery once every couple months to reset the ECU. I highly doubt any of those fixed the issue, but as I said I haven't had the problem in 2 years/15k miles. Know anyone with similar problem?
Old 06-21-2016, 08:56 AM

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG W209
Yoh that is some hectic experience for this car. Oh well as they mentioned it is like a manual shift gone bad. None the less I checked some videos on the net earlier. There is a guy named Gary I think who has stripped the entire box down and inspected the parts and mentioned their functions. So you could probably use that as a guide along with a WIS to rebuild this tranny yourself.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG
CLK55 AMG clunking when holding gears.

So basically the transmission to my 2004 CLK55 AMG (108k miles) clunks when the car is at high rpm and holding a gear. For example I will do a 1-2 pull and it will clunk as the rpms drop when I am off the gas. It does not happen when on throttle. It typically only happens in first or second gear. I have seen some threads on this that have now died off for years so I wanted to see if anyone who has experienced this sound what the issue was and how it was resolved.

Last edited by Gbarr; 11-24-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:17 PM

2013 C63 Coupe P31
Originally Posted by Gbarr
So basically the transmission to my 2004 CLK55 AMG (108k miles) clunks when the car is at high rpm and holding a gear. For example I will do a 1-2 pull and it will clunk as the rpms drop when I am off the gas. It does not happen when on throttle. It typically only happens in first or second gear. I have seen some threads on this that have now died off for years so I wanted to see if anyone who has experienced this sound what the issue was and how it was resolved.

https://youtu.be/swY-PA3xSK0
i started this tread back in 2014 about a year into my ownership of the c55. Five years/40k miles later I still have the car and it’s my current my DD.

Looking back at it, when I had my PWM solenoid replaced I also had my rear crank shaft seal AKA rear main seal replaced (that’s a fully tranny out job). And I recall the mechanic saying that my old seal was really lose - he was able to remove the bolts holding it just by hand. Wonder if that was causing my issue back then. But since that service (4+ years ago) I haven’t had the issue.

Your’s seems identical to what mine was doing.