C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
92 300zx, 96 Tacoma, 99 ML320
exhaust leak

ok guys i've been battling this exhaust leak for a while now and i'm not sure what the problem is. It's on the passenger side where the manifold connects to the cats. It's just a press fitted joint but no matter how many times i fool with it, tighten it in different ways it always leaks or comes loose. I've had it pretty secure before to where it didn't leak at all and after a few days of driving it the leak comes back. I've also checked it before and the bolts were loose, yet i tighten them down a good amount but don't want to risk breaking them This time i put locks on it for the hell of it and yet i can't even get it to stop leaking. I see no cracks or anything weird going on. I've pulled it all off and started over to make sure it seats well but it still leaks.

what exactly am i missing here? It's highly annoying for such an easy concept. I would assume the manifold is cracked but like i've said i've managed to make it go away, yet it comes back.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
When you say "manifold connects to the cats" are you talking about where the manifold connects to the headers, or where the headers connect to the cats?

It sounds like one of the gaskets at one of those connections is bad maybe.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203
I assume this is the original bolts that you still have in the exhaust system. If it is not a OEM one than I would say buy a new set at the dealers (not the hardware shop). These are not ordinary mild steel bolts.

These bolts also needs to be torqued to the right spec's as over tightening with the excessive heat generated by the gasses will result in elongation of the bolt. I would probable say that the bolts already has some signs of elongation (this might not been easily visible with the naked eye).

Also, make sure that the flanges and nuts on the manifold are clean and clear of all debris (also inside the nuts). The nuts on the manifold has a self locking effect, but if the bolts are elongated (even with a small amount) the decreasing in thickness will effect the locking function.

Just check the nuts on the manifold, with over tightening the treads could have been damaged.

I assume you are talking about item 50 in the photo attached.