C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Buying c32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 12:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
C32 amg
Buying c32

Hi I'm new here going to buy a 2003 c32, I have read a lot about the rad issues, and that concerns me. What should I look for if there is no trans dip stick how to check trans fluid? Is there anything else to look for when buying c32 thanks... Problems
Old 09-08-2014, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32 amg
Firstly I would check the rad to see if it is indeed a valeo as they might have upgraded the rads in 2003. If it is then I would get it to a merc garage to test for glyco contamination.Shouldn't take long to get the results as it's a simple test..

Other things to look out for are rusty wheel arches,common with w203's. Stepper motor,noisy SCbearings plus many more.

These are great cars and can be pushed to over 400hp for reasonable money,but can be high maintenance.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:55 PM

C32 amg
The cars build date is 07/02 if that means anything
Old 09-08-2014, 08:07 PM

c32, c200k
Hey mate,

I just bought one a few months back. Get a glycol test to begin with. If the glycol level is safe (<1%) the radiator is fine. However if it is the original valeo maybe get it replaced for piece of mind. I'm about to do mine to be on the safe side.

Other things I'd check:

Transmission jerk @ 1500rpm ... manifests itself when driving slowly in traffic. Put the gearbox in 'w' and accelerate gently up an incline. If you feel a thump at 1500rpm it has the problem. Feels like a rough gearshift but it's not shifting gear. Cheap fix, replace the tcc/pwm solenoid ($60parts - about 2 hours labout) and transmission flush (coolant cost).

Check your pulleys for noise (raspy, grinding, rattling, wobbling). Common things to look for here are:
supercharger pulley
groved and smooth idler
tensioner pulley

Check the tensioner has not worn out and is still applying correct tension on the s-belt. Should only wobble a little bit.

Check the supercharger clutch

intercooler pump often dies on these. It will cause the sc to cut off due to high intake temps. replacement is ~$150 + 45minutes diy

intercooler leak - you'll notice coolant being lost and get low coolant errors. Hard to detect before buying, you need to pull off the intake manifold covers and check for residue. big $$$ to replace

apart from that general checks you do with any car ... shocks, tyres, bushes oil leaks etc.

All in all the motor and transmission on these seem bullet proof. It's maintaining all the 'other' stuff hanging off them that can be a pain.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:01 PM

C32 amg
Thanks for info, it's got 86,432 kms on it and never winter driven, Toronto Canada.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:57 AM

C32 amg
How do u check the tensioner ?
Old 09-09-2014, 05:13 PM

c32, c200k
To be honest I'd take my indie with me. You can visually check for belt wobble and excessive movement of the tensioner. Might even make a taping noise you could hear. Best way is to remove the s belt and check the tensioner by hand.

Anyone else got any ideas?
Old 09-17-2014, 08:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C32
Hi Guys
As you guys can see im a newb on the forum BUT have been watching and learning for some years now untill i get my own benz. Finally was able to afford a c32. now i would really appreciate a little help. The Motor is very quite and no funny noises from the engine side.

1. How do i know my supercharger is actually working? what will give the indication? the whine on mine is barely audible or non existent, the car had some major work done on it with regards to seals and belts etc before i bought it. ( i Suppose the fact that i can hit 210 within like 12 seconds a good enough indication?)

2. I dont have the transmission jerk at 1500rpm, but sometime if im driving slowly (like most of the time) maybe 60km\h it feels as if the gears change up too quickly and when in the higher gear i press gas pedal to maybe 50% i get this HUH HUH HUH sensation till the revs climb and then she rockets forward. Like the transmission is confused or something. Could there be something wrong with my gearbox? I have tried the TCU reset that is on this forum also but dunno if it worked or not as there is no indication if it really did reset. This might be happening in third gear i think. I also noticed that happens more so when the car is nice and hot. Sometimes i also think that this has something to do with the charger? maybe not engaging till a certain point or something?

3.To the south african forum users. Did anybody see or hear about a c32 with plates SEELEN ZN. id like to get in touch with someone if possible to get some history on the car.

Apart from the usual small electronic quirks etc i am absolutely smitten with the car.

Any help from the gurus will be highly appreciated.
Thanks