C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 02:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
w215 - CL55 w/stage III
Exclamation retrofit

Has anyone attempted it or does anyone know if the W209 Halogen headlapms can be retrofitted?? If so, I'd like to take a stab at retrofitting my OEM halogen headlamps with a kit from The Retrofit Source ...
Old 09-13-2014, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
I'm a distributor for TRS. You can technically retrofit "anything", just depends on how you do it. I suggest their Mini D2S since it's easier to retrofit than some of the others.

After you get your HID kit, see if you can get someone to hop into Star for you to turn on the option "Xenon=present" so it doesn't throw bulb codes.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:03 PM

w215 - CL55 w/stage III
Originally Posted by Viper98912
I'm a distributor for TRS. You can technically retrofit "anything", just depends on how you do it. I suggest their Mini D2S since it's easier to retrofit than some of the others.

After you get your HID kit, see if you can get someone to hop into Star for you to turn on the option "Xenon=present" so it doesn't throw bulb codes.
some cannot be retrofitted - for instance the E39 BMW headlamps CANNOT be retrofitted because they can't be baked - just wondering if anyone has tried to do these - also, I didn't think you needed to turn on the "xenon" option in ECU if you have error canceling ballasts as those from TRS?
Old 09-13-2014, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mguerrero
some cannot be retrofitted - for instance the E39 BMW headlamps CANNOT be retrofitted because they can't be baked - just wondering if anyone has tried to do these - also, I didn't think you needed to turn on the "xenon" option in ECU if you have error canceling ballasts as those from TRS?
First google search? http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...-retrofit.html

Anyway, you don't have to turn on xenon=present if you have the error cancellers, that is true. But, if you have the option to, why wouldn't you? It'll save you an extra harness, PLUS I don't know if the standard halogen headlight turns off the low beam when you turn on the high beam. If it does, then I suspect that xenon=present will keep the low beam on during the high beam operation, which means that you could easily hook up the bi-xenon solenoid with a splitter harness to the high beam bulb. If not, you'll need another harness for the high beam low beam stay on function. Which then means you'll definitely have to use the separate relay harness instead of the factory wiring. Obviously I try to reduce the number of extra harnesses and prefer to use only the factory wiring. But I'm not sure how the standard halogen setup works on the W209.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:50 AM

w215 - CL55 w/stage III
First google search? http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...-retrofit.html

Anyway, you don't have to turn on xenon=present if you have the error cancellers, that is true. But, if you have the option to, why wouldn't you? It'll save you an extra harness, PLUS I don't know if the standard halogen headlight turns off the low beam when you turn on the high beam. If it does, then I suspect that xenon=present will keep the low beam on during the high beam operation, which means that you could easily hook up the bi-xenon solenoid with a splitter harness to the high beam bulb. If not, you'll need another harness for the high beam low beam stay on function. Which then means you'll definitely have to use the separate relay harness instead of the factory wiring. Obviously I try to reduce the number of extra harnesses and prefer to use only the factory wiring. But I'm not sure how the standard halogen setup works on the W209.
that link you sent, read #17 and #18 - I have a 2003 and at some point before 2003 they changed the type of glue they use and therefore it cannot be done ... :/
Old 09-14-2014, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bah! How bout that.

Anyway, back to your headlights, do you see what I mean about using the factory settings to make things easier rather than buying another set of harnesses/resistors?
Old 09-14-2014, 02:02 AM

w215 - CL55 w/stage III
Bah! How bout that.

Anyway, back to your headlights, do you see what I mean about using the factory settings to make things easier rather than buying another set of harnesses/resistors?
yeah I understand, but I don't know anyone who can do it other than the dealer and they wanna charge 1 hour shop charge - at 140$ thats pricey! :/