Sold my C32 but what the buyer did irritated me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang
Sold my C32 but what the buyer did irritated me

Backstory:
I had my C32 up for sale on craigslist and a couple other sites for the last 3 months. I didn't really get too many hits on the car (probably because its an older Benz with over a 100k on it) This car has kinda been a thorn in my side because there was a lot of little things it needed. Being OCD I fixed the majority of them and did some little things along the way to make it a much better ride from when I acquired it. I had a guy call me up that was really interested, we talked for like 40 mins about the car. He liked what he heard and wanted to come check out the car. The next day when we agreed on the time to meet up I never heard a word from him. I was a bit irritated because no call no text nothing, I decided to text him the next day and asked what was up. He said he had a truck he needed to sell first in order to get the money to buy the car so since the truck didn't sell he couldn't buy the car. I told him to just let me know if he sold the truck and was still interested. Fast forward 2 weeks later he calls and wants to check out the car. He sees the car drives it and likes it. So now onto the fun part of negotiations. I thought I was dealing with Richard Rawlings for a minute, this guy was just the biggest penny pincher I have ever dealt with. But since he was nice guy and was very interested I shaved off a decent amount off the price for him and we finally agreed to terms. Done deal sent him on his merry way. This all went down the weekend before last, so I get a text from my brother with a craigslist link in it. Open it up and what do you know the guy is relisting the car not even a week later and trying to turn a couple thousand dollar profit.

So heres what bugs me, I understand he bought the car and we agreed on the price and such so he can sell it and do it whatever he wants with the car. But I always try to be upfront and honest whenever I sell a car or anything for that matter. The way he has the ad listed its just generic as hell and states no issues or anything at all. I know it probably sounds stupid but I don't want him turning a profit off lies and deception. I wouldn't care as long as he was honest and upfront with at least the same info I had provided him. I Thought about shooting him a text and telling him to amend the ad or I would put up another ad stating the info that was left out. Or should I just let it ride out and let the Karma train catch up with him later down the road, because the car is wildly overpriced and there isn't a chance in hell he will ever get what he thinks he will out of the car.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:30 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2002 C32AMG
you agreed on a price and sold the car...done deal. Get over it and move on.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:39 AM

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts
2011 C63 AMG, 589hp
Yes..
Life´s a *****, but you sold the car, deal with it.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
Yeah sorry, can't help ya here. It explains why he was such a penny pincher, he's one of those guys that tries to get cars as low as possible under value and just flips them. Some people make a living on the side doing this, nothing you can do about it.

Only word of advice I would say is just be more patient next time and don't give in to a lower price. You have to stand firm when you negotiate.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Bottom line is that you wanted to sell your car, you had no bites and that buyer wouldn't have paid you more for the car because he needed to flip it. Now you know why he needed to sell that truck first.
He is trying to make money, not many greedy people out there that will be 100% honest. If he had told you he was going to flip it you wouldn't have sold it to him.
Next time just lower the price on CL first.

Lesson learned.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:07 AM

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts
2011 C63 AMG, 589hp
Yup,, 'those people' scan sites for those who lower their prices and 'attacks them'. 'lol*

A couple of years ago i sold my C36 AMG
I set the price highest in the site i advertised in, i was the one who got it sold.
The other guys panic´ed and lowered and lowered and some of them still had their cars left over a year after i sold mine.
I got ~80k(Skr) and the others got around 35k Skr.

Huge difference.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:31 PM
SD1

2002 C32
I do this all the time, you took the money, essentially you are complaining that the guy "coerced" you into selling the car for less than you wanted to when in fact he probably did you a favor. I do try to correct any deficiencies I find in cars I flip, (I am doing that now with a C32) but its my experience that most do not. Not your problem. I find that most people who buy cars from me are pretty diligent, they do vin checks, sometimes have mechanics look at them and 9 out of 10 ask for a better price, and I negotiate when appropriate. Its like going to the store and buying a case of beer for $25 and going back the next day and its only $22, do you stop going to the store or drinking beer? Of course not. You have sellers remorse and the guy paid you a price you agreed to and he can resell or drive it off a cliff if he wants.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG
Agreed with everyone, but believe me I know how you feel and I personally probably would have been irritated myself. I am in the process of trying to find a new home for my C32, and I've denied sales to people who have said they plan to winter drive it. I'm sorry, I understand that once I sell it you can do whatever you want... but I would rather see it off to a good home and am in no rush to sell it.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:00 PM
SD1

2002 C32
That is just silly. You make it sound like you feel towards your car like you would a small puppy. Its a tin can full of wires. Lol

who in their right mind would ever buy a car that couldn't be driven in the snow anyway.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:46 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I would guess a lot of the negative feelings are because you thought you were selling it to an enthusiast but turned out he didn't give a crap. Or maybe he changed his mind. Either way, try and forget about it and enjoy your new car.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:42 PM

Mustang
Sorry for the delay, I have been out of town and just got back. I honestly don't really care about the money. As said earlier I know he might have done me a favor by buying it. The thing that irks me was his negotiating tactics. "I really want the car but I only have this much" then he relisted it without disclosing any problems. Hindsight 20/20 he won't get the asking price or even make money on the car probably. But I just hate the fact he will more than likely sell the car and not disclose any info about it. Oh well I was irritated but life goes on. Just wanted to see what other ppl thought