C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Decision: 2005 C55AMG vs 2009 C300 4matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audi a4 3.2L
Decision: 2005 C55AMG vs 2009 C300 4matic

Hey guys, I just joined the forum being that I am looking to switch over to a Mercedes. I have always owned Audis but I am looking to try something new. My wife has a C320 4matic, so I am familiar with the W203 line. I am trying to decide between getting a C55AMG or a newer C300 4matic since they are in the same price range currently. I like the updated look of the C300 but I am definitely missing having a V8 (previous car was an S4 4.2). So, basically I was looking for opinions on performance vs modern looks. Do you guys who own C55's ever feel like they are outdated? Thanks for your help.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:27 AM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
'16 C63s
Hey GNAMG, welcome to the boards!

Well, I went with my C55 because of the performance and also because of the looks. I had looked at some C350s as well, but I feel like the W203 is the best looking C-class. Once MB changed over to that HUGE star in the center grille, I felt it was too flashy and in-your-face for me. Also, please remember the exclusivity factor of the C55 - there were only about 1400 brought to the states in 2 productions years combined! If you want AWD for driveability and and updated look, go with the C300. If you want a rare and cleaner look plus a hand-built V8, go C55.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:42 AM

audi a4 3.2L
Thanks for the reply. Im leaning towards the C55 so this definitely helps!
Old 10-30-2014, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
I'd reiterate what raphman has posted - if you can only have a single car and live in an area with a need for AWD, then you should probably lean towards the 204. I have the luxury and good fortune of owning a few cars, including a B6 A4 - 1.8L Quattro Avant, so I appreciate the AWD for winter. I did drive my C55 the first winter I had it, and obviously I had to have winter tires, but after driving AWD in the winter I'm not sure I want to go back.

I haven't driven any 204 C-Classes at length, only short stints and passenger rides in another (actually thinking back, both times were in C63s). However, the electronics even in the earlier, pre-facelifted 204s are much better than the 203s. The iPod and Bluetooth integration is much better, as is the nav. Certainly you can add those to a 203 - I did, by adding factory COMAND and then a mObridge Bluetooth and iPod unit.

Also, if it matters to you, it may cost a bit more to maintain a C55 versus a C300. But if you budget right, then you'll be okay. I mean there are 16 spark plugs because it's a twin spark engine, and I believe it has much larger front brakes (345mm vs ?), and will chew through rear tires more quickly. And I'm certain it will drink more fuel too. But that's the cost of ownership and if you go in knowing these facts, then you'll be prepared. All of those issues disappear in your head when you hit the throttle. I find the car is very easy to drive in the city because of the abundance of torque and still relatively small size.

I'd actually like to replace my A4 with an S4 Avant, preferably a B7. Just have to find one and the cash for one too (and convince my wife!). Was your S4 a B6 or B7? Why did you get rid of it?

Last edited by Saaboteur; 10-30-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
To add to the other two replies, if you get a C55 you will not regret it as soon as you floor that throttle the first time.

Also, IMO I like the w203 body style better. But Saaboteur has an excellent point about the electronics, nav, etc.

What it comes down to is your priorities: if you want a more up to date car with better electronics, nav, and things like that, and if you need the AWD in winter, go with the C300.

If you want the speed, power, prestige and rarity of the C55, and willing to sacrifice the newer electronics, go with the C55. You can upgrade the interior head unit/NAV if you wish, it won't be the cheapest thing in the world but it can be done.

IMO, the C55 is going to end up keeping a lot of value in the coming years due to the reason raphman stated: only 1650 brought to the US. You can probably count on about 500 or so totaled and another 500 or so disappearing due to some old rich guys who just bought them cuz they were a Mercedes and don't really use the car for what it's made for and will probably just eventually drive it til it dies and get rid of it.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:35 PM

audi a4 3.2L
Saaboteur: Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. To answer your questions, I had a B7 DTM edition S4 6MT a couple years ago. I loved the car, but I was 23 years old and just purchased my first house. I renovated the whole house and needed to free up some money, so unfortunately I sold it and bought a cheap a4 to get me around. Its been a couple years since then, so I am itching to get back into a performance car. I live in NJ so I will need to purchase a winter beater if I go with the C55. Thats the only reason I looked into the c300 4matic to begin with. Being that Ive always owned Audis I never had to worry about not having AWD for the winter. My ultimate goal in a couple years is to get the C63AMG, but I dont want to have big payments at this point. Again, thanks for all of your opinions.

Last edited by GNAMG; 10-30-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 262 Likes on 125 Posts
05 SL55, 10 C63, 12 SLK350, 20 S560, 08 Bentley, 14 Porsche Cayman S
You are asking the wrong guys. This is the AMG forum.

There are Mercedes and then there is AMG

I have owned several Mercedes and three AMG cars.

The AMG cars are soooo much better than the regular Mercedes cars.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:32 PM

audi a4 3.2L
Originally Posted by Gene Gorman
You are asking the wrong guys. This is the AMG forum.

There are Mercedes and then there is AMG

I have owned several Mercedes and three AMG cars.

The AMG cars are soooo much better than the regular Mercedes cars.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How am I asking the wrong guys, if I am asking about a C55 AMG?
Old 10-30-2014, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOL, perhaps if you just want to keep one car, you should get back into an S4!!

Once I bought my 911, I actually thought pretty hard about consolidating my C55 and A4 into a single car, as I don't want to daily my 911. But I love my C55 so much I'll keep it, and other than some maintenance stuff, it's basically modified perfectly for my taste now. It's just a nice, lovely car. The only problem is that I basically just drive it in the summer months as my daily, and then have the A4 as a winter daily. But as simple as the 1.8T is, I'm used to the V8, hence the desire to get a B7 S4. Just has to be a wagon again, I think the wagons look better than the sedans.

And I too was wondering why you were asking the wrong people about the C55 AMG as this is the C55 AMG forum...lol.

Originally Posted by GNAMG
Saaboteur: Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. To answer your questions, I had a B7 DTM edition S4 6MT a couple years ago. I loved the car, but I was 23 years old and just purchased my first house. I renovated the whole house and needed to free up some money, so unfortunately I sold it and bought a cheap a4 to get me around. Its been a couple years since then, so I am itching to get back into a performance car. I live in NJ so I will need to purchase a winter beater if I go with the C55. Thats the only reason I looked into the c300 4matic to begin with. Being that Ive always owned Audis I never had to worry about not having AWD for the winter. My ultimate goal in a couple years is to get the C63AMG, but I dont want to have big payments at this point. Again, thanks for all of your opinions.

Last edited by Saaboteur; 10-30-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:48 AM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
'16 C63s
GNAMG, I don't blame you for coming here and asking at all; you're doing your research. Of course you knew our opinions were going to be a little biased, but I hope we've been able to assist and give you some solid feedback.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
Yes, you should get a for doing your research. If you have any specific questions about repair costs, feel free to ask. Or check out my reliability thread in my sig. I've done about EVERYTHING to this thing lol

But yours will likely be more reliable as mine was a salvage title.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:32 AM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
2013 c63 Magnuson SCed
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How am I asking the wrong guys, if I am asking about a C55 AMG?
Because we all love these cars and are extremely biased.

My car was in the shop2x this year for problems I caused and each time I got a C300 4-matic loaner. Hated them both. Especially the white one. Only thing I liked over the 203 was the smaller sterring wheel. Maybe the 205 will make me want something new, but the 204 doesn't.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:19 PM

LADA 1600
Hey guys, I just joined the forum being that I am looking to switch over to a Mercedes. I have always owned Audis but I am looking to try something new. My wife has a C320 4matic, so I am familiar with the W203 line. I am trying to decide between getting a C55AMG or a newer C300 4matic since they are in the same price range currently. I like the updated look of the C300 but I am definitely missing having a V8 (previous car was an S4 4.2). So, basically I was looking for opinions on performance vs modern looks. Do you guys who own C55's ever feel like they are outdated? Thanks for your help.
I actually have both, a C55 and a W204 C350 4Matic. Both are very, very different. The C55 is a fun sports car. The 4Matic is a comfortable and practical car. The fit and finish of the W204s is of much higher quality, and considering popularity, probably a better value too.

The C55 is not all that practical. If you care about its rarity, you will be much more weary of where you drive it and who you drive it around. It has low profile tires, it's stiff, but faster than most cars, and bound to get you into trouble .

If you intend to drive in the winter, the 4Matic is a much better choice. It's very comfortable, doesn't have the rare factor, and has much better gizmos in the interior.

If you want a fun summer car, C55. If you want practical W204 4Matic.

On the other hand a C55 gains you entry into the world of AMG, and that can be very exciting if you start attending the events!
Old 10-31-2014, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's cool you have both, you can really give a good opinion to the question posted.

But I have to disagree that the C55 is a sports car. By definition (at least in my mind, but commonly accepted) it isn't a sports car because it's not a two-seater. I see the C55 as what it is - a small sports sedan, which at the time was the top offering by Mercedes in that class.

I think it's quite a practical car too. I've used mine for groceries and Costco runs plenty of times. It is as practical as, say, a minivan, SUV or a wagon? No, but it still has a pretty decently sized trunk, basically similar to the 204's trunk, right?

I use my C55 daily in the summer and think it's a great proposition for a daily driver. It has enough space for me to get groceries or whatever if I need to do that after work but still small enough to not be a huge pain to park in the city. But perhaps most importantly, I don't think I've ever gotten bored of the V8 rumble and torque when putzing around. It's still got more power and torque than most other pedestrian cars around, and that makes it a breeze to find gaps in traffic. But I personally don't value or see it as a sports car. I appreciate its rarity (less than 100 officially imported to Canada) but I find its AMG attributes (big engine yet relatively comfy ride) make it a great daily driver in the warmer months. I posted earlier and in other threads that I drove mine in the winter too. It was fine, but not great, and since I've gotten my Audi, I'm not sure I want to driving without AWD in the winter months. Certainly if I lived in a warmer place without the possibility of snow, I'd probably drive the C55 year round.

Those are my opinions, anyway. One last thought - the C55 represents quite decent value right now. I think of it as 2/3 the car of the C63, but at about 1/3 of the cost (but the earlier C63 prices are heading down steadily, so that equation may not last much longer!).

Originally Posted by masterianvii
I actually have both, a C55 and a W204 C350 4Matic. Both are very, very different. The C55 is a fun sports car. The 4Matic is a comfortable and practical car. The fit and finish of the W204s is of much higher quality, and considering popularity, probably a better value too.

The C55 is not all that practical. If you care about its rarity, you will be much more weary of where you drive it and who you drive it around. It has low profile tires, it's stiff, but faster than most cars, and bound to get you into trouble .

If you intend to drive in the winter, the 4Matic is a much better choice. It's very comfortable, doesn't have the rare factor, and has much better gizmos in the interior.

If you want a fun summer car, C55. If you want practical W204 4Matic.

On the other hand a C55 gains you entry into the world of AMG, and that can be very exciting if you start attending the events!
Old 10-31-2014, 08:03 PM

audi a4 3.2L
Originally Posted by Saaboteur
It's cool you have both, you can really give a good opinion to the question posted.

But I have to disagree that the C55 is a sports car. By definition (at least in my mind, but commonly accepted) it isn't a sports car because it's not a two-seater. I see the C55 as what it is - a small sports sedan, which at the time was the top offering by Mercedes in that class.

I think it's quite a practical car too. I've used mine for groceries and Costco runs plenty of times. It is as practical as, say, a minivan, SUV or a wagon? No, but it still has a pretty decently sized trunk, basically similar to the 204's trunk, right?

I use my C55 daily in the summer and think it's a great proposition for a daily driver. It has enough space for me to get groceries or whatever if I need to do that after work but still small enough to not be a huge pain to park in the city. But perhaps most importantly, I don't think I've ever gotten bored of the V8 rumble and torque when putzing around. It's still got more power and torque than most other pedestrian cars around, and that makes it a breeze to find gaps in traffic. But I personally don't value or see it as a sports car. I appreciate its rarity (less than 100 officially imported to Canada) but I find its AMG attributes (big engine yet relatively comfy ride) make it a great daily driver in the warmer months. I posted earlier and in other threads that I drove mine in the winter too. It was fine, but not great, and since I've gotten my Audi, I'm not sure I want to driving without AWD in the winter months. Certainly if I lived in a warmer place without the possibility of snow, I'd probably drive the C55 year round.

Those are my opinions, anyway. One last thought - the C55 represents quite decent value right now. I think of it as 2/3 the car of the C63, but at about 1/3 of the cost (but the earlier C63 prices are heading down steadily, so that equation may not last much longer!).
-—--------------------------------------------------
Awsome stuff guys, thanks again for all of your input.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:32 AM

C55 amg
I've had mine around a year now and I've been very impressed with the car. It's great that your on the forms already because I've been here for almost a year and haven't posted anything yet so I thought why not help out someone with my first post. I drive mine daily all year long and I live in Iowa but during the winter it is a must to have snow tires. However i find its grip in the snow to be great and I live in an area that doesn't get plowed and yet the car was able to get through foot if not more of snow fine.
What I really love about the car is how much info is out there for help. These guys have really gotten through most of the problems that will come up or will help you out with any other problems.
Lastly now the car is relatively cheap and parts aren't overly expensive for the most part. With this I don't feel scared to work on the car and take stuff apart. There are also quite a few physical upgrades that can change the car from a sleeper to a more newer sporty looking mercedes. The best part however is that the car can go from a comfy sedan to a growling monster in second.
Good luck with the search and I hope you find a car you are happy with but my vote is for the c55.