C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

1st gear part throttle = lurching

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32, c200k
1st gear part throttle = lurching

Guys I'm having a problem hoping you can help me with which I'm guessing is either ignition or fuel related but haven't ruled out transmission or sc clutch.
So coming out of a stop part throttle in 1st the car seems to begin lurching violently at mid-high rpms. Think of coming on and of the accelerator rapidly, one second there's heaps of power then not so much then heaps then not so much ... Etc. It goes on and off in .5s intervals. If I plant the accelerator the car powers out of the lurching. This only seems to happen in 1st gear.
I thought it was esp engaging at first but the problem persists even with esp disabled. It's a pain when going around a slow corner, feathering the throttle to maintain rpms just before you power out.
Any ideas?
Old 11-16-2014, 05:28 PM
mvr

2002 32 slk amg
my 32amg also lurches ahead but not to the same extent as yours does. From park, I put my foot on the gas pedal and nothing happens for a second or so, then it decides to lurch slightly. I've been living with it for some time, but have noticed that it doesn't seem to happen when I have it on the "w" mode. It mostly does it in "s" mode and cold start. After reading and researching, I tried one thing which seemed to help a bit, but I'm not sure if it was just wishful thinking. What I did was get in car, put key in ignition, turn it to the second position (engine off), then put foot on gas pedal for 30 secs, then turn key to off, wait 5 seconds, and start engine as per usual. Like I said, not sure if it was wishful thinking because it did seem to help the first couple of outings after that, but now it's doing it again. It'll be good to hear what others may say to help you out.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:29 PM

c32, c200k
Originally Posted by mvr
my 32amg also lurches ahead but not to the same extent as yours does. From park, I put my foot on the gas pedal and nothing happens for a second or so, then it decides to lurch slightly. I've been living with it for some time, but have noticed that it doesn't seem to happen when I have it on the "w" mode. It mostly does it in "s" mode and cold start. After reading and researching, I tried one thing which seemed to help a bit, but I'm not sure if it was just wishful thinking. What I did was get in car, put key in ignition, turn it to the second position (engine off), then put foot on gas pedal for 30 secs, then turn key to off, wait 5 seconds, and start engine as per usual. Like I said, not sure if it was wishful thinking because it did seem to help the first couple of outings after that, but now it's doing it again. It'll be good to hear what others may say to help you out.
From your description I'm guessing you have the transmission jerk which every c32 owner seems to have, caused by late/rough lockup of the torque converter. I swapped out the torque converter pwm solenoid as suggested by a few ppl here and it cleaned up the problem heaps. The solenoid is pretty cheap, but you'll need to factor labor and trans fluid into the fix.

What you performed was a ecu reset which clears all the transmission adaptations... Resulting in a more responsive transmission. I'm guessing because of this, you power past the lockup/jerk which only seems to manifest itself at part throttle under alight load. Over time you transmission will relearn your driving pattern and shifts will get lazy again, especially if you drive in heavy traffic... Which will likely see the jerk become more noticeable again.

And yes correct my issue is different, it is a pulsating lack of power as if the sc is disengaging and then reengaging again rapidly. I'm going to regap the sc pulley as it's currently hard up against the clutch (can't even get the smallest feeler gauge in) and replace all the spark wires (needs to be done anyway). See how I go.

Last edited by crembz; 11-16-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
b5 a4
Originally Posted by crembz
From your description I'm guessing you have the transmission jerk which every c32 owner seems to have, caused by late/rough lockup of the torque converter. I swapped out the torque converter pwm solenoid as suggested by a few ppl here and it cleaned up the problem heaps. The solenoid is pretty cheap, but you'll need to factor labor and trans fluid into the fix.

What you performed was a ecu reset which clears all the transmission adaptations... Resulting in a more responsive transmission. I'm guessing because of this, you power past the lockup/jerk which only seems to manifest itself at part throttle under alight load. Over time you transmission will relearn your driving pattern and shifts will get lazy again, especially if you drive in heavy traffic... Which will likely see the jerk become more noticeable again.

And yes correct my issue is different, it is a pulsating lack of power as if the sc is disengaging and then reengaging again rapidly. I'm going to regap the sc pulley as it's currently hard up against the clutch (can't even get the smallest feeler gauge in) and replace all the spark wires (needs to be done anyway). See how I go.
I have this issue as well. It happens at partial throttle in cruising gears. When I go wot at low gears it usually isn't as bad. Its like I can hear the supercharger hiccupping. You can feel and hear it disengage and reengage very quickly. Like a pulsing type thing. I had a 61 not gapped and it did it. I have since switched to a stock pullry with a 178 crank and it still does it. I thought it may be belt slip. My tensioner is most likely bad, thinking about trying that out. Let me know what you get with new wires. I have magcores now but I don't see any misfire codes
Old 11-17-2014, 12:52 AM

c32, c200k
I'm just getting stock bosch wires and doing the regap. Funny you should mention the tensioner, I've been almost convinced mine is getting slack, my indie insists it's fine but I'm also getting a rapping sound from inside the cabin coming from the same side as the tensioner. If the tensioner is going bad it could explain both symptoms.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:02 AM

b5 a4
Let me know what you find out. This had been bugging me for a long time
Old 12-21-2014, 09:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
04 C32 AMG (sadly sold), 05 CLK55 Cab, 08 R350 4Matic, 15 GLA250 (sadly bought), 75 VW Westfalia
Everything in this thread points to the PWM solenoid in the valve body; chased the TC jerk in mine for years: tranny flush, replaced valve body conductor plate, ecu resets - replacing that solenoid was without doubt the root-cause solution. Mine shifts perfectly smoothly now, except when starting cold and the outside temp is below say 25F and then I have an issue with shifting down from 2nd to 1st until the car warms up a little. Having the shift solenoids (3 of them) in the valve body replaced over the holidays to hopefully eliminate this.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:29 AM

b5 a4
No its not the same. Its almost like the car is misfiring. And it may actually be. It doesn't throw codes though. It doesn't do it until your like 40% on the throttle. Then it starts bucking or misfiring or belt slipping. I haven't figured it out yet as I have enough time with holidays
Old 12-22-2014, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Sounds to me like the throttle body. Have someone check your codes.

I have a code reader too, but there's hidden stored codes that my mechanic was able to read. My code reader didn't see them.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:11 AM

b5 a4
really? throttle body? did you have this same issue?
Old 01-02-2015, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by scboost
really? throttle body? did you have this same issue?
I did, but only way to really tell is to pull those codes, otherwise everyone here including me is just guessing.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:46 PM

c32, c200k
Thanks mate I'll ask my indie to pull the codes next time I'm down. I can easily replicate the symptom now, part throttle to around 4k rpm in 1st or 2nd and the suddenly go to 80% throttle. Funny thing is if I got wot it seems to pull through without lurching.