Considering a C55 AMG - pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 E320 cab
Considering a C55 AMG - pros and cons?

Hi,

I am considering getting a 05-07 C55 AMG. Probably under 70K miles.

I would appreciate any comments or advice. I am an experienced mechanic and longtime MB owner ('95 E320 Cab), however I am not looking to wrench on this car right off the bat!

Thanks in advance,

John
Old 11-26-2014, 04:27 AM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
C55 AMG T with Kleemann K2 and some stuff: 414 hp and 576Nm :-)
One of the most reliable AMG cars ever built!
Old 11-26-2014, 02:04 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Pro's- lots of fun in a practical package.

Con's- paying for gas and tires.

As mentioned the C55 and CLK55 are some of the most reliable AMG's around and if you can do your own maintenance then running costs are very reasonable.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
I would add to the above comments:

pros - the C55 still feels relatively modern despite being ~10 years old - ie. definitely feels a lot closer to the current range of Benzes than the ones from the 90s; 2/3 the car of a C63 at less than 1/3 the cost; no major mechanical concerns reported - engine is durable, transmission is durable-ish by all reports (contrast to the potential - but probably overblown - nightmare concerns with the 63 cars and their engines); front bumper is relatively low, and it and the front lower fender liner can crack easily (but replacement of the liners is pretty inexpensive and simple)

cons - it is getting older and will certainly only age, this issue is especially felt with the interior electronics - but you can add Bluetooth and iPod functionality easily with aftermarket modules; front suspension design apparently not as durable as the older cars, needing more frequent maintenance (ie. replacement of the control arms); twin spark heads means 16 spark plugs, so it's not cheap - but then it's not like you're changing plugs every weekend; not as easy to make more power, aftermarket support is minimal, and what is out there can be horridly expensive (but is this a huge concern anyway?); front seat heater bottoms have a nasty habit of dying really easily - if yours work, don't kneel on them ever! Some owners also report finicky issues with the amp, with it cutting out or just working intermittently. Possibly due to moisture in the area? It's happened to me a few times, but sometimes goes away if I stop the engine and fire it up again.

I've had my car for about three years, and it has proven to be a lovely daily driver. I wish I had a C63, but I am quite happy with my C55. Very rare car and drives very nicely. I have performed preventative maintenance on my own, and the car is not hugely complicated - passive suspension, no superchargers or turbos to worry about or maintain. Simple car, really - and I think generally speaking, the more simple a car is, the longer it will probably last.

In those three years, I've put on about 20-25,000 km. I've replaced one front lower fender liner (it was busted when I bought the car); engine mounts - one had started to leak; I have the front control arms ready to go onto the car, just need to find time; did the plugs and wires (watch the clips on the coil packs, they can crack and die very easily, but replacement is also fairly straightforward) also swapped out the ATF; put in aftermarket seat heater bottoms; and I think that's almost about it. The other stuff I've done has been for fun - wheels, 63 paddle shifters, CLK grille.

And don't be stupid like me - when you do the oil change, remember that there are TWO drain plugs! Took me a while to figure that one out...

Last edited by Saaboteur; 11-26-2014 at 03:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
WagonRocker (04-07-2020)
Old 11-26-2014, 08:31 PM

'95 E320 cab
Appreciate the replies. This forum is such a great resource. Thank you.

Yes I am also looking at C63's! I have just been reading about the whole head bolt thing. Very concerning.

Saaboteur, you are speaking my language when you mention passive suspension, and naturally aspirated. Less stuff to go wrong!

I do like the C63, but am also very tempted by the C55.

J
Old 11-27-2014, 12:37 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
If the head bolt issue happens it is very bad indeed but it is likely to be much much less than 1% of M156 vehicles suffering from it and of course you can always change the bolts as soon as you get the car or buy a mid 2011 or later. I believe there are 20 or so cases mentioned on the forums and assuming there are 5x that (or any other guess) out of the tens of thousands of engines made.... it wouldn't put me off anyway. Regardless, the C55 is definitely a safe bet.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, I think if you have the budget for a C63, just get one of those. It's a superior car, the engine and its noise are awesome, and the electronics are far better. And because they are so plentiful, finding a nice one will be much easier. The C55 production numbers were posted recently in another thread, but I know for Canada, there were less than 100 officially imported, ie. Canadian market cars. Some from the US have slipped through, privately imported, I'm sure. I think I've seen two other C55s on the road in the few years I've had my car, and one had plates from another province. By comparison, there must be close to 100 C63s in my city alone, or at least it seems like it.

I think the headbolt issue is way overblown, amplified by car forums. You could probably get into an early C63 and never come across the issue, and 08s are getting cheaper and cheaper all the time. But I'd take mine as a MY10+, with LSD and performance package please! I prefer the exterior look of the earlier cars, front end is a bit more aggressive; but the interior of the facelifted cars is much nicer.

When I bought the front control arms for my C55, the part numbers cross referenced to updated 204 part numbers. I've looked under a C63 before and it doesn't look markedly different from my C55, front or rear. It even seems to me that the rear isn't much different from the 202 chassis either. What I'm getting at is that aside from the engine, I don't think a C63 drives particularly differently from a C55, although my time in the driver's seat of a C63 has been limited. There is probably a marked difference from the 204 to 205 though, you'd think, with a lot more complicated stuff in there like the air suspension and different wheelbase and such.

Last edited by Saaboteur; 11-27-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:39 PM

'95 E320 cab
Thanks Saaboteur,

That's interesting about the control arm P/N's, I had read that the C63 had different suspension from the C55, but I guess not.

I see you are in Canada. By coincidence, I am working in Toronto at the moment, returning to the US (CT) early Dec.

Do you drive your C55 in the winter?
Old 11-27-2014, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm in Edmonton, faaaar away from Toronto. I drove my C55 the first winter I had it, but then I decided I wanted AWD and more of 'beater' car for winter time. I got sick of seeing the car blasted with the winter road detritus and trying to keep it clean. While it was fine for driving in the winter in the city, where the roads are generally plowed, the car had basically zero traction at times when there was a lot of snow or when starting from a stop. I got sick of that and went for AWD, and that's how I got my Audi. No more worries about traction or seeing the car dirty all the time. But I still would like a B7 S4 Avant...but then I'd just be worried about keeping it clean all the time.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 C55
C63s are getting cheaper. If you can wait another year, I think you can jump in one for 25K for sure. Hell I've seen them in the high 20s now, who knows what they are selling for.

I don't want to start a C55 vs C63 thing, the C55 is a GREAT car. I just miss the updated interior on the C63, the exhaust note, and the aftermarket support.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by Saaboteur
I would add to the above comments:

pros - the C55 still feels relatively modern despite being ~10 years old - ie. definitely feels a lot closer to the current range of Benzes than the ones from the 90s; 2/3 the car of a C63 at less than 1/3 the cost; no major mechanical concerns reported - engine is durable, transmission is durable-ish by all reports (contrast to the potential - but probably overblown - nightmare concerns with the 63 cars and their engines); front bumper is relatively low, and it and the front lower fender liner can crack easily (but replacement of the liners is pretty inexpensive and simple)

cons - it is getting older and will certainly only age, this issue is especially felt with the interior electronics - but you can add Bluetooth and iPod functionality easily with aftermarket modules; front suspension design apparently not as durable as the older cars, needing more frequent maintenance (ie. replacement of the control arms); twin spark heads means 16 spark plugs, so it's not cheap - but then it's not like you're changing plugs every weekend; not as easy to make more power, aftermarket support is minimal, and what is out there can be horridly expensive (but is this a huge concern anyway?); front seat heater bottoms have a nasty habit of dying really easily - if yours work, don't kneel on them ever! Some owners also report finicky issues with the amp, with it cutting out or just working intermittently. Possibly due to moisture in the area? It's happened to me a few times, but sometimes goes away if I stop the engine and fire it up again.

I've had my car for about three years, and it has proven to be a lovely daily driver. I wish I had a C63, but I am quite happy with my C55. Very rare car and drives very nicely. I have performed preventative maintenance on my own, and the car is not hugely complicated - passive suspension, no superchargers or turbos to worry about or maintain. Simple car, really - and I think generally speaking, the more simple a car is, the longer it will probably last.

In those three years, I've put on about 20-25,000 km. I've replaced one front lower fender liner (it was busted when I bought the car); engine mounts - one had started to leak; I have the front control arms ready to go onto the car, just need to find time; did the plugs and wires (watch the clips on the coil packs, they can crack and die very easily, but replacement is also fairly straightforward) also swapped out the ATF; put in aftermarket seat heater bottoms; and I think that's almost about it. The other stuff I've done has been for fun - wheels, 63 paddle shifters, CLK grille.

And don't be stupid like me - when you do the oil change, remember that there are TWO drain plugs! Took me a while to figure that one out...
Nice quick summary!
Old 11-29-2014, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, CLK550
Originally Posted by tw2
Pro's- lots of fun in a practical package.

Con's- paying for gas and tires.

As mentioned the C55 and CLK55 are some of the most reliable AMG's around and if you can do your own maintenance then running costs are very reasonable.

Absolutely spot on!

It's not the fastest thing on the road but it's very enjoyable to drive.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C55 AMG
Reliable daily driver

I have had mine for 2 going on 3 years now. No winters. A great summer car, reliable too. Also, having fewer around, you don't see yourself going and coming everywhere. And most of all, it is a sleeper. Everybody else knows the C63 and what it is. The C55 is almost indistinguishable from a C320 when it comes up from behind.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:44 AM

C55 AMG
Does great in the snow and ice with some Blizzak tires
Attached Thumbnails Considering a C55 AMG - pros and cons?-image-585957679.jpg  
Old 03-15-2015, 07:56 AM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
C55 AMG T with Kleemann K2 and some stuff: 414 hp and 576Nm :-)
Had mine for almost 6 years now, nice years!

Was recently in a bit of a hurry in central Europe for a long strech,
had to go 100 - 150 mph for some time.
-What a car!! It transforms when you go faster, what it´s built to do.
The sound, the feeling of it...
The following users liked this post:
WagonRocker (04-07-2020)
Old 03-17-2015, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
Had mine for about 3 years now as well and I have loved every minute. All service done myself and gas was nice about a month ago when it was $2.50 for premium lol but im doing about $200 a month on gas. And tires it eats like breakfast due to the aggressive camber and lack of rotation. I get about 15k miles. had since 50k miles and have about 98k now. No major issues. Most expensive repair was to the front suspension bushings that ran me about $800 for both.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
also upgrade to the 6/4 brake setup! looks awesome and great stopping power!
Old 03-18-2015, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
Originally Posted by maverik259
Yeah, those brakes are sexy as hell
Old 03-18-2015, 03:14 PM

none... for now
Originally Posted by maverik259
I love me some brake ****.

However, with 99% of people only running 235 front and, 255/265 rear tires, aside from feel, is there any improvement? Tires are the first and formost limiting factor, so do the 6/4 help with braking, or just fade? It's no heavy weight, but the C55/32 are so under tired.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:08 AM

S210274
Hi there,
in my way finding the best C55 for me, I discovered a special one
out there in Europe.

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat...ries=EstateCar

Can someone tell me if the AMG - Performance Package was available also in the US ?

Ron
Old 04-01-2015, 12:33 PM

none... for now
No, very unfortunately.

From what I understand it recieved a suede steering wheel/shifter, side vented front bumper, 6/4 piston brakes, and the same motor upgrades as the(again, Euro only) SLK55 black series making over 390bhp.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:39 PM

2006 c55 amg, 2006 clk 500 convertible and 2000 ml55 amg
Originally Posted by johnrdm
Hi,

I am considering getting a 05-07 C55 AMG. Probably under 70K miles.

I would appreciate any comments or advice. I am an experienced mechanic and longtime MB owner ('95 E320 Cab), however I am not looking to wrench on this car right off the bat!

Thanks in advance,

John
I own a 06 c55 amg, only 451 made
and i think the only year was available is 05&06!
Love the car, fast enough and really strong and stylish