C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 serious transmission problems, need your help!! C55 TCU?

Old 12-11-2014, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63, C55 (sold), 2002 C32 (sold)
C55 serious transmission problems, need your help!! C55 TCU?

Hey everyone,

My C55 has been giving me some transmission problems. I know I have a small transmission leak but recently my car would shift very rough and get stuck in gear sometimes. When it would get stuck in gear, I would not be able to shift through the gear numbers or even change from C to S to M mode. This morning was the worst, my transmission got stuck in 1st gear and would not shift at all. Tried turning the car on and off but nothing would fix it. Ended up taking it to the dealer (45 min trip @ 15mph on 1st the whole way) and they said I need a new TCU because there's water in mine, and a new trans connector plate/connector....lets just say the bill is huge!!

First, i'd like to know if this diagnoses and suggested repair is accurate? And second, does anyone have a C55 TCU I can buy? Or can a TCU from another AMG model work on a C55? Please let me know your feedback and thoughts, I am in serious need of some help here...much appreciated guys..
Old 12-11-2014, 08:59 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Hello,
I have seen this issue multiple times. Yes they're diagnosis is more than likely very accurate. The pilot bushing leaks fluid and if you neglect it, it eventually contaminates the TCU and requires replacement. They are likely wanting to replace the transmission connector plate and conductor plate due to probably having a speed sensor fault code stored in the transmission computer. The plate is known to go bad and cause the shifting issues you are describing.
You are able to find the work for cheaper though, trust me. Replacing the conductor plate is not a difficult job for any experienced Mercedes tech. Good luck
Old 12-12-2014, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32AMG
Supgee is right, check tis video:

Actually oil migration to the TCU box is common issue, Recently i checked my TCU and oil was just to the plug! Luckily the TCU itself was dry.
Immediately changed the gearbox plug
Old 12-13-2014, 07:41 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Sounds like a faulty gear shifter, try this first. The TCU could of failed too due to the faulty gear shifter, you will know by plugging into STAR.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:08 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 CLS63 S AMG
Not sure if the C32 is the same as the C55 but it sounds like you got stuck in Electrical Limp mode. Mine did this to me when my Transmission electronics pack went bad and I had to replace it as well as the TCU electrical connector. Might wanna check into this about $300 before getting a new TCU.