C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

M113 and w203 goodies for sale

Old 12-27-2016, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by latemodel21
Andrew ... it has been done before (using an ebay 2 channel wireless) ...
...but it is nice that you are doing it too. keep up the good work.

I think the first car I did it in was a 2002 E55 (in 2012) . Since then I have supplied kits for nearly 70 Mercedes based cars (that came without steering wheel shifters) and personally converted over 200 Mercedes steering wheels to paddle shift.

send me a note sometime, I would be happy to share info with you.

Cheers,
Chris
Hi Chris,
Glad to see that you still visit the W203 AMG forum. Happy New Year!
Old 12-27-2016, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by Lenin
Hi Chris,
Glad to see that you still visit the W203 AMG forum. Happy New Year!
Hi Robert,
I'm never to far from a good forum and never too busy to talk to an old friend . Hope you and your family are having a great holiday season and have the happiest of new years !

Cheers,
Chris
Old 01-03-2017, 04:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 S65 AMG
Hi Chris, I know many have installed paddles, however there are no examples of anyone I could find anywhere who has figured out how to put them on the W220 chassis except myself. The other videos I have seen all use shifter boxes with relays piggybacked to the contact switches that function via a mechanical and physical contact style switch which closes a circuit when the shifter is moved in either the + or - directions. This is not the case in W220 shifter boxes, as there are no switches at all and no contact points to solder leads to...they use optical sensors and moving the shifter in either direction simply causes a small blade to interrupt an IR light's transmission to its corresponding IR receiver. This signal is read by the car's TCU and is not on the Canbus system either. I have found the same method to be used on the CLK models as well.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Hi Andrew, I hope it did not seem like I was calling you out on this. it was just a little over the top when you wrote. "So....in that respect, you can go take your seat back in class and I'll be across the hall by myself...because I assure you, other members in this forum wouldn't be driving across the country to see little old me in Vegas if I wasn't the only one who could...."

Again, I applaud your cracking this nut in a vacuum (without knowledge that is has already been cracked), but optical couplers (for "up", "down" function) are used in many models (CL, S, SL, C are models that use them that I have supplied paddle solutions for in the past). I think that the service that you provide these enthusiasts is great (and have no interest in competing). I don't think there is much written on this as those who have done it don't want to give the solution away for free. In my case, I have always sought to create hard-wired solutions (like my most popular designs, a system that encodes the paddles on the horn wire under the air bag and then decodes it near the shifter where it is added, in parallel, to the exiting up/down function of the shifter .... or the popular "paddle converter module" that makes (digital) paddles plug and play in all early amgs that came with the analog shift button configuration).

I look forward to talking with you about this sometime (got your PM) and am happy to share some info.

Cheers and happy holidays,
Chris

Originally Posted by Andrew Pempek
Hi Chris, I know many have installed paddles, however there are no examples of anyone I could find anywhere who has figured out how to put them on the W220 chassis except myself. The other videos I have seen all use shifter boxes with relays piggybacked to the contact switches that function via a mechanical and physical contact style switch which closes a circuit when the shifter is moved in either the + or - directions. This is not the case in W220 shifter boxes, as there are no switches at all and no contact points to solder leads to...they use optical sensors and moving the shifter in either direction simply causes a small blade to interrupt an IR light's transmission to its corresponding IR receiver. This signal is read by the car's TCU and is not on the Canbus system either. I have found the same method to be used on the CLK models as well.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 S65 AMG
Thanks Chris, yes I am aware of the other models using the optical system as well, but I thought it best to stick to the W220 chassis in the discussion as to not broaden the petty arguments to include other models as well. I'd be interested in the software tech used to encode and decode a signal along the horn wire....very interesting! I will send you a PM with my cell number. Cheers!