C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Behr radiator problem with C32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203 C32
Behr radiator problem with C32

Hi. I am completely new to Mercedes. I recently bought a new Behr radiator from eeuroparts to replace my 'potentially' leaking Valeo radiator. After replacement, I noticed that my operating temperature went up to ~95C. It used to be go up to ~85C and stayed there, and now after the replacement, it went all the way up to ~95C, it will go back down to 85C only if I drive faster on highway.

FYI, I am living in Vancouver, BC (current temp is around 20C day, and 15C at night).

My concern is that if the non-amg models have small radiators? I found that the C32 has different oem part numbers vs the c230K....
Old 05-28-2015, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
Did you buy a radiator specced for a c32? Did you bleed the system properly?
Old 05-28-2015, 12:52 PM

2008 CLK550
Does it go past 95 when sitting still? Overheating?
Old 05-28-2015, 05:24 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Use this tech article as a reference and make sure you did everything properly during install. Sounds like there could possibly be a leak in the system (check all radiator caps) or you didn't get all the air out of it. Might try burping the system.

-Luccia
Old 05-29-2015, 01:42 AM

W203 C32
Originally Posted by insame1
Did you buy a radiator specced for a c32? Did you bleed the system properly?
I selected the C32 in eeuroparts site, so I assume they sent me the proper parts. I filled it up with distilled water and let it idled for more like 45mins to burp the air out, I know there are some coolant from in the engine itself, so I am not so worried about the mixture yet, because I am trying to dilute the old coolant now.

Originally Posted by JakeMS3
Does it go past 95 when sitting still? Overheating?
Nop. It seems to go up to 95C when sitting still. Fan seems to work properly, as I do hear it go on and off. I am driving to and from work now (which is 3km or 2 miles), and do find that if I drive faster than 70KM/H with like throttle, it seems to slowly cool it down a bit.

Originally Posted by PelicanParts
as a reference and make sure you did everything properly during install. Sounds like there could possibly be a leak in the system (check all radiator caps) or you didn't get all the air out of it. Might try burping the system.

-Luccia

I do not see any leak in the system. as for burping the system. Can't I just leave engine at idle for 45mins with the cap on? I found this site saying how to properly burp the system by pinching a hose (doesn't sound like sth I like to do).

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ed-system.html

Another thing I found out is that at the top of the radiator near the coolant return hose, there are couple rows of 4-5" zic-zac fins seems to be squeezed by a quarter. I assume it will not make such big affect right?

Sorry for asking lots of questions, I am relatively new to European cars (mainly JDMs, and a Saab 93ss), and completely new to Mercedes. However, I want to know my car inside out and get the potential hazard dealt with before worst things happen.

Thanks for all your input.

Last edited by kuroi_tuki; 05-29-2015 at 01:44 AM. Reason: wrong name
Old 05-29-2015, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Your I/c pump could be going bad as well ( very common) , but that typically causes loss of power too. I'd change that out with a new Johnson pump. Search and there's many threads on that. I replaced mine and also thermostat and car always ran cool.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:30 PM

W203 C32
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Your I/c pump could be going bad as well ( very common) , but that typically causes loss of power too. I'd change that out with a new Johnson pump. Search and there's many threads on that. I replaced mine and also thermostat and car always ran cool.

I put 12V into the IC pump and it seems to be running fine.

However, I have a question regarding coolant mixtures. When I replaced the radiator, I also wanted to flush out the 11yrs old coolant that is in the car, so I just put water into the system wanted to dilute the old coolant as much as possible. Would this decrease cooling efficiency? I thought the coolant only used as anti-corrosion agent to prevent rust.... Please fire at me if I am wrong.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
It does have an effect on the cooling but it should make it more efficient. Water is actually a better conductor of heat. The mixture lubricates things and will keep the water from freezing.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Something Slow
I recently replaced my original leaking Behr with another Behr and so far car runs normal. you should have done a complete flush and replace.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:19 PM

W203 C32
I think things are getting worst..... Since around 6pm last nite til now, the car had been popping up messages say "Coolant, Visit Shop!" randomly, it happened almost every time I started the car last night and today, but the messages also didn't show up for couple times. Based on research, people say it could be the IC pump that cause it?

Another question, is it ok to remove to unplug the little pump beside reservoir; and hoses connected to the reservoir. what I wanted to do is to take it out and clean the inside, it is very dirty (sorry, I have a mild OCD with my cars).

da*n, this thing is going crazy, and driving me nuts.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:34 AM

C32AMG
Your message for "coolant" means that you need to add coolant in the expansion reservoar. Its normal after the radiator exchange, there are some bubbles left here and there, and after few days of driving you need to refil the expansion tank.

My car came from Germany few years ago with BEHR radiator, someone else exchange the crappy Valeo for me
And in summer days it stays at 95* noting more, nothing less! This is for 5 years now. Don't know if with the Valeo radiator it will be few degrees cooler, but apparently with BEHR the normal operating temperature is 95*
Old 06-03-2015, 09:53 PM

W203 C32
Originally Posted by husqvarna
Your message for "coolant" means that you need to add coolant in the expansion reservoar. Its normal after the radiator exchange, there are some bubbles left here and there, and after few days of driving you need to refil the expansion tank.

My car came from Germany few years ago with BEHR radiator, someone else exchange the crappy Valeo for me
And in summer days it stays at 95* noting more, nothing less! This is for 5 years now. Don't know if with the Valeo radiator it will be few degrees cooler, but apparently with BEHR the normal operating temperature is 95*

Thanks for the input. I did a search and found that we are suppose to fill it up to the top black part of the reservoir. So I did another drain and fill with 50/50 mix of new greenish/blue coolant, and did the crossfire coolant burp method as well, and now for some reason the fan does not come on anymore. Not even with a/c on....no turbine sound, no nothing. I tried to look for the fuse, but found that the fuse covers do not tell you which fuse is for what. Please help, the engine temperature gauge stops at 95C, but when I use inferred temp gauge on the thermostat housing, it should 101C...... Now, what should i do? Lucky enough, my work is only 3 KM from my home with minimal traffic.