C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

PADDLE SHIFTERS,hopefully

Old 09-15-2015, 03:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c55 amg
Petar
they will go out at £120 sterling approximately $180us including postage and packing.Ihope that sounds ok
Gordon
Old 09-16-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55, 2008 E63
I will install C63 magnesium paddles onto any c55 wheel or steering wheel that already has the rocker switches for $350, have done a few including mine looks mint. Or i have the paddles avail and you can try it but it is pretty labor intensive. 4-5hrs

Old 09-17-2015, 04:43 PM

c55 amg
my system is 10 minutes max and no steering wheel removal
Old 09-18-2015, 02:44 AM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG W209
Gordon, will you post to South Africa? Though it would cost me R2000 plus shipping would be around R2400. I would love the new look as the std buttons behind are stupid and confuse any newbie driving my car. The pedals atleast would be visible.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:03 AM

c55 amg
Khan
yes i will post to South Africa and if you want and others they can contact me direct on
grw.21@btinternet.com
Khan are you going to be watching the World Cup
Old 09-18-2015, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
$180 for the OPs " snap-in solution is reasonable .... however, a similar solution (albeit, not as clean as this OPs) was tried years ago, but failed because the factory switch surround broke too easily during the installation of the paddle add on. (link) https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-shifters.html
Anyone considering this should have a line on an extra set of original buttons OR be prepared to do the full conversion with REAL AMG paddles once the buttons break (as described above).

As far as installing REAL AMG paddles in this wheel. It costs less than $300 (this includes the AMG paddles 171 267 0046). The last one I did for a C55 was $270 including Removal and Replacement of the steering wheel. As I have converted over 200 Mercedes wheels to paddle shift both directly with customers (and indirectly having done all of DCT motorsports paddle conversions for the last 3 plus years), I feel I know a thing or two about this.

The OPs solution may be as quick and easy as he says (no reason to think it's not), but history suggests that many installers will break and render their original buttons un-serviceable in the process ... so be prepared for the full AMG paddle conversion that may be required directly after.

Chris
Latemodel21 Products

Originally Posted by gorgonian
Petar
they will go out at £120 sterling approximately $180us including postage and packing.Ihope that sounds ok
Gordon
Originally Posted by mbguy949
I will install C63 magnesium paddles onto any c55 wheel or steering wheel that already has the rocker switches for $350, have done a few including mine looks mint. Or i have the paddles avail and you can try it but it is pretty labor intensive. 4-5hrs

Old 09-19-2015, 03:10 AM

c55 amg
Hi Chris
nobody is questioning your knowledge and experience, I've got a pretty good pedigree as
well but don't feel i need to advertise it.i know all the pitfalls regarding the switch holder and it will only crack or break on removal of the button.
each set of Paddles will go out with full instructions and telling the purchaser all about the cracking or breaking issue.Maybe you should purchase a pair and install them for a client.
regards Gordon
Old 09-19-2015, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Hi Chris
nobody is questioning your knowledge and experience, I've got a pretty good pedigree as
well but don't feel i need to advertise it.i know all the pitfalls regarding the switch holder and it will only crack or break on removal of the button.
each set of Paddles will go out with full instructions and telling the purchaser all about the cracking or breaking issue.Maybe you should purchase a pair and install them for a client.
regards Gordon
Hi Gordon,
On a forum that is sometimes overflowing with "experts" eager to publish their speculation about this or that topic (as if it were based on empirical data), I thought it proper to identify for any who haven't worked with me that this is an area that I am very very familiar with.

I think that if you look at the bottom page 19 of the thread that I linked https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post3021961... you will see where this approach fell down last time. The creator (vrus) eventually was banned and nobody got a refund. As mercedes does not sell those buttons (without buying a whole steering wheel), some customers were left way out in the cold being left with no recourse other than buying an entire new steering wheel. THIS is why I mentioned the prudence of lining up replacements.

If you have refined this process, that is good. I did notice that the picture you posted of an assembled unit HAS a broken switch surround as does the one shown in your video as well. Perhaps if you were to remove the assembly and warm it up some before prying it apart, you might have better (or some) success with this?

Old 09-19-2015, 08:14 AM

c55 amg
Hi CHRIS
I understand what you are saying and i did read the complete thread and very interesting.It would have been easy to ask for deposits but its not the done thing.Yes the holder is damaged as it is my car and all was a learning curve,but now i have solved that problem.Atleast we can be adult about it and agree to disagree.I hope we can chat some more or one day even meet,take a look at the link and give me your opinion.
regards Gordon.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:10 AM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
2013 c63 Magnuson SCed
Originally Posted by mbguy949

Maybe start your very own thread then and not spam this guy's? WTH?
Old 09-19-2015, 11:39 AM

c55 amg
OMG
and I thought this was a world wide community,how sad
Old 09-19-2015, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Hi CHRIS
I understand what you are saying and i did read the complete thread and very interesting.It would have been easy to ask for deposits but its not the done thing.Yes the holder is damaged as it is my car and all was a learning curve,but now i have solved that problem.Atleast we can be adult about it and agree to disagree.I hope we can chat some more or one day even meet,take a look at the link and give me your opinion.
regards Gordon.

Hi Gordon,
Relative to any need for us to "agree to disagree" I'm not so sure we disagree .... I think that WE AGREE on the main points here.
I think we both agree that it IS possible to change the factory switch actuator to your clever paddle WITHOUT breaking the switch surround (I tried, it's not easy, nor guaranteed, but it can be done) AND, I think we both agree that it is easy to inadvertently break the switch surround during this process (particularly during early attempts). And I am sure we agree that your part has a neat and professional fit and finish.

"take a look at the link and give me your opinion"
I'm not sure what sort of an opinion you are soliciting on the video of the rotating solid model. It looks nice. It looks strong. It would have been a good design for the original manufacturer to use when they made the factory shift buttons (instead they chose a crappy feeling buttons AND chose to design the switch surround for assembly-only giving no consideration to possible future disassembly). I'm not sure how I feel (aesthetically) about the open pockets (facing towards the driver); it's different, perhaps it will grow on me.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 09-20-2015, 04:19 AM

c55 amg
Chris it was only to show that i have looked at manufacturing the whole switch assembly.yes do agree
Old 09-22-2015, 07:23 AM

2004 CLK55 AMG W209
Khan
yes i will post to South Africa and if you want and others they can contact me direct on
grw.21@btinternet.com
Khan are you going to be watching the World Cup
Yeah I did. Clowns I tell ya. I actual went against them in the final couple minutes and supported the Japs. Everyone at work was pissed off on Monday. The newspaper headlines read something like, "SA shamed by Boks"
Well I heard the guys in the Jap team aint your average Joe nor is their coach who has promised them quarters if not semi finals.

I will keep in mind your product, later when I can start changing the car's looks then I will order a set.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:15 AM

c55 amg
no problem re the paddles
now its Scotlands turn to face Japan,should be interesting
Old 09-25-2015, 08:50 AM

2004 CLK55 AMG W209
caught a solid hiding. Now we definitely look like the laughing stock
Old 10-30-2015, 05:25 AM

c55 amg
paddle shift upgrade

Its been a while since I put a post up on the paddle shifters I developed because I felt there were some issues with the installation that a few people brought to my attention and I thank them for that.I have put out 20 pairs around the world to SLK55 owners and all have installed them with no issues,If anybody is still interested in the paddles use gpaddles@gmail.com or look in ebay under mercedes benz amg paddle gear shifters
regards Gordon
Attached Thumbnails PADDLE SHIFTERS,hopefully-p1000511.jpg   PADDLE SHIFTERS,hopefully-screenshot_2015-08-01-11-55-17_zpshachbis5.jpg  
Old 02-01-2016, 04:25 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
SL63, GTR
Any further updates on these? Will they fit on a 2003 SL55? Your website and eBay listings state 2004-2007.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:10 PM

c55 amg
HI Feelgod
If you have the buttons on your 2003 SL55 then yes they will fit,contact gpaddles@gmail.com and the team will help you with any questions you have.
regards Gordon
Old 03-14-2016, 01:30 AM

2006 SLK55 AMG
I happen to be one of the early adopters of these gpaddles; in fact I've had them since late September last year. They work great on my 2006 SLK55 AMG! Having had an unbelievably mild winter (maybe the warmest ever?) I've been able to drive the car every month since installation so they've received a pretty good workout too.

Also, having scanned this thread I suppose I should offer some thoughts regarding what seems to be the most common concern here - a cracked surround as a result of the installation process:
  • First, if a crack should happen it really is not the end of the world. For instance, one of mine cracked upon insertion of the paddle into the surround, but once installed back in the wheel you'd never know it. It is impossible to see, and impossible to feel. After it happened I took a good long look at things, and decided to simply put it back together and test it out. That was all those months ago and it is as good now as then.
  • Second, if I felt the need I know could repair it with glue and maybe a thin piece of carbon fiber laminate, but there really is no need. I've pried on that paddle from the very end to maximize forces (top and bottom) and its feel is indistinguishable from it's (un-cracked) mate. I believe the reasons for this are:
    • the pocket the switch fits into supports the cracked area, and
    • the forces involved with using the paddle are not applied to the specific area where the crack forms.
FWIW I did offer immediate feedback to Gordon on how to minimize the likelihood of a cracked surround for his production pieces and Gordon implemented the suggestion shortly thereafter.

Anyway, I guess the bottom line is (1) I'm a very satisfied user, and (2) I have no affiliations to Gordon's product. Just an early tester.

Hope this is helpful!

tn

Its been a while since I put a post up on the paddle shifters I developed because I felt there were some issues with the installation that a few people brought to my attention and I thank them for that.I have put out 20 pairs around the world to SLK55 owners and all have installed them with no issues,If anybody is still interested in the paddles use gpaddles@gmail.com or look in ebay under mercedes benz amg paddle gear shifters
regards Gordon
Attached Thumbnails PADDLE SHIFTERS,hopefully-img_2551.jpg  
Old 03-14-2016, 03:54 AM

c55 amg
Hey Thomas
WOW what kind words to say about the paddles shifters you had on trial for me,it sounds as though they are performing really well and of course I am very pleased.your comments are always very constructive and helpful and I thank you for great endorsement.
That is a fantastic photo of your car and the view is awesome it will go on the website.
regards Gordon
The following users liked this post:
Thomas Nelson (10-07-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
C 32 AMG & FG2 Civic Si
just out of curiosity... can the c55 steering wheel be fitted to the c32, and then paddles installed onto the c55 wheel?
Old 03-24-2016, 02:37 AM

2004 CLK55 AMG W209
The paddles can fit to the C55 wheel I am sure as they look the same as the CLK55 from behind. Only the design differs on the appearance I suppose. However adapting the steering in a C32. That I cannot comment on as I believe there are other different controls that are integrated in the C55 wheel as opposed to the C32 wheel not so?
Old 03-24-2016, 06:19 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
The electronic signal between the two is different for the paddles. If you use the internals from the C55 or a C32 or CLK55 car you can get a converter box but it isn't cheap.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:23 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Totally agree with Thomas. Installed my paddle shifters in 5 minutes and they work great. Another satisfied customer.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PADDLE SHIFTERS,hopefully