C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 at the track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 08:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
C55 at the track

Helped a friend find an 05 C55 last month... first thing he does is take it to the track. He was definitely not disappointed and was able to beat the time he pulled in his 86 911.

After the lap, stick around for a little exhaust ****... simple secondary cat delete.

https://youtu.be/rWv2EwRKFLY

Last edited by RenC55AMG; 07-06-2015 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Hyperlink didn't post
Old 07-06-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG
Sounds great, and looks like a lot of fun. What kind of tires were you using? Quite a bit of understeer but its a characteristic of the car.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 C55
Love the soundtrack
Old 07-07-2015, 07:20 PM

2005 C55 AMG
He's only had it a month so I suspect more seat time would fix a lot of the understeer... or at least better control it ;-)

He's not running Jesus tires for sure, maybe a set of Kumho's? I think that's what was on it when he bought it.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:03 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
2013 c63 Magnuson SCed
Originally Posted by RenC55AMG
He's only had it a month so I suspect more seat time would fix a lot of the understeer... or at least better control it ;-)

He's not running Jesus tires for sure, maybe a set of Kumho's? I think that's what was on it when he bought it.
More seat time and better hand placement couldn't hurt either. I'm looking for a bit more front camber to lessen this baby's tendency to push/understeer. Looks like he easily drives aggressive enough to justify the same. I figure I roll the fronts to the outside enough it may also even-up treadwear too.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:32 AM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by Supgee
Sounds great, and looks like a lot of fun. What kind of tires were you using? Quite a bit of understeer but its a characteristic of the car.

KEEP IN MIND THERE IS ONLY FRONT AND REAR TOE ADJUSTMENT OEM!

CAMBER – Allows to actually change the tire contact angle, improving wear/ traction

CASTER –Resolves steering pull, increases steering response. With better turn in and high speed directional control, along with improved anti dive/lift under brake and acceleration.

AT K-MAC WE SAW THE NEED AND MANUFACTURE PRECISELY ADJUSTABLE (SINGLE WRENCH, ON CAR) FRONT CAMBER AND CASTER AND REAR CAMBER (WITH EXTRA TOE) KITS.

For the front (only) -there are available fluted Camber bolts. But these are inaccurate (one only position) bolts offering a minimal .3 of one degree (1/8”/ 3mm) and require labour intensive disassembly each time. While the K-MAC unique patented design provides precise/ongoing adjustment capability – on car, accurately (underload) direct on alignment rack.

With 4 times the adjustment range of these one position fluted bolts. It means you fix it right the 1st time - no more ongoing visits to dealers or alignment shops or constantly changing tire brands because of lack of full/precise adjustment.

On track days you can dial in more front negative Camber and track width for increased traction/grip/less understeer – allowing to go deeper into the corners and hit corner apexes every time in the pursuit of pole setting laptimes.

For the Rear – again single wrench precise adjustment on car of Camber for maximum traction, tire wear with extra adjustment to compensate for the new Camber facility.

W203K-MAC Front Camber and Caster kit #502216K $480

W203 K-MAC Rear Camber (and extra Toe) 04-07 #501926J $380
(51mm lower arm/inner bush)

00-04 #502026H $320
(33mm Lower arm/inner bush)

Current promotion for MB World members USA/Canada delivery - $30 one kit or $40 front and rear (normally $70 one kit, $80 front and rear).

See link for latest 2015 Catalog (World’s largest range AUDI to Volvo) http://K-mac.com/mercedes
Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2015, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55
Hey, that's me!

I'm normally an autocrosser - I like being able to drive to and beyond 100% with minimal risk. I back off quite a bit on a track, especially in my DD. Note I brake early and leave plenty of runoff room on all corner exits.

Tires are Federal 595 RS-R. They're inexpensive and very sticky summer only rubber. Not quite on par with the latest Jesus tires, closer to a Falken 615k. There were some crappy Kumho no-season on the car when I bought it, but I don't like driving a car on mediocre tires.

Some front camber wouldn't hurt, but what would help a lot more is some front wheel. The OE front ones are a piddly 7" wide. The similar weight Mustang GT gets 9" of wheel up front, 9.5" rear. Hell, I run 9" front wheels on my 1000lb less 911.

But overall I was pleasantly surprised with the car on track. I was expecting a family sedan with a little more motor, the car is a rather well sorted complete package.

Plenty of power, plenty of brakes. This is my first car with an automatic transmission and it worked pretty seamlessly. Turn in and feedback really, really good. Just a bit of mid-corner push. I was concerned that the ESP off isn't really "off," but I didn't feel the nannies were holding me back at all. I felt comfortable pushing the car a little harder throughout the day.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Burglar
Hey, that's me!

I'm normally an autocrosser - I like being able to drive to and beyond 100% with minimal risk. I back off quite a bit on a track, especially in my DD. Note I brake early and leave plenty of runoff room on all corner exits.

Tires are Federal 595 RS-R. They're inexpensive and very sticky summer only rubber. Not quite on par with the latest Jesus tires, closer to a Falken 615k. There were some crappy Kumho no-season on the car when I bought it, but I don't like driving a car on mediocre tires.

Some front camber wouldn't hurt, but what would help a lot more is some front wheel. The OE front ones are a piddly 7" wide. The similar weight Mustang GT gets 9" of wheel up front, 9.5" rear. Hell, I run 9" front wheels on my 1000lb less 911.

But overall I was pleasantly surprised with the car on track. I was expecting a family sedan with a little more motor, the car is a rather well sorted complete package.

Plenty of power, plenty of brakes. This is my first car with an automatic transmission and it worked pretty seamlessly. Turn in and feedback really, really good. Just a bit of mid-corner push. I was concerned that the ESP off isn't really "off," but I didn't feel the nannies were holding me back at all. I felt comfortable pushing the car a little harder throughout the day.
Hello, If you are concerned about the ESP intervention there is a dynamometer mode you can put the vehicle in through a series of button presses on the steering wheel and it will disable the ESP system, ABS, BAS, and literally leave the computer out of it entirely.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...day-325-a.html

Back in the day we had a few hard core track guys running 32s and 55s. Some are still friends but like me moved on dedicated race cars. Lots of info on the thread but I will say the kmacs were great.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:29 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
2013 c63 Magnuson SCed
Originally Posted by AWDman
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...day-325-a.html

Back in the day we had a few hard core track guys running 32s and 55s. Some are still friends but like me moved on dedicated race cars. Lots of info on the thread but I will say the kmacs were great.
I searched, but how is the kmac install? Seems to be exactly what's needed.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:23 PM

2005 C55, 2006 Ram 2500 MegaCab diesel, sold 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins, sold 87 190e-16v, sold 97 e420
Understeer can be dialed out with tire pressure and more importantly camber.

I had the KMAC bushings installed for 30K and then the one side sheered, I am not that happy with them plus the installation was a nightmare. Unless KMAC is willing to compensate me for those, I would suggest going to a good Benz shop and using the stock offset alignment bolts for $10, I was able to get 1.5 degrees negative camber which is the same as the KMAC.

What we really need like all the other cars is camber plates!

Shame, my Porsche 944 has 3 degrees negative camber from stock adjustment bolts and my tire wear at the track is excellent. I might also suggest HedgeHog Motorsports as he has a lot of parts that he manufactures.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
50 cents worth of washers and you can get a couple of degrees of negative camber. You just need 3/8" of clearance between the strut and inside of the tire/rim which the stock wheels allow. Search for posts on this back in the 2004-2007 range.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:51 AM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by kent426
Understeer can be dialed out with tire pressure and more importantly camber.

I had the KMAC bushings installed for 30K and then the one side sheered, I am not that happy with them plus the installation was a nightmare. Unless KMAC is willing to compensate me for those, I would suggest going to a good Benz shop and using the stock offset alignment bolts for $10, I was able to get 1.5 degrees negative camber which is the same as the KMAC.

What we really need like all the other cars is camber plates!

Shame, my Porsche 944 has 3 degrees negative camber from stock adjustment bolts and my tire wear at the track is excellent. I might also suggest HedgeHog Motorsports as he has a lot of parts that he manufactures.

1. Re one side sheered after 30,000 miles. Bushings are designed to have twice the load bearing area of OEM and we do all our research, proving on the race track. All out 10/10th’s competition. Big heavy V8’s - airborne after hitting race curbs end of main straights and slamming down lap after lap, situations where race safety scrutineers rule for strength, reliability only K-MAC adjuster kits allowed to be used. So yes, please advise name, address and exactly what happened!

2. Re installation (front) Camber and Caster kit – single wrench, precise adjustment. Does require removal of the 4 alloy arms. Forum member HeissRod https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-airmatic.html has kindly provided pics of step by step procedure of how to use the tubes supplied and a bench press to remove and replace these 4 bushes.

While the K-MAC rear adjuster – Camber (and extra Toe) can be carried out on vehicle using the bush extraction tool provided.

3. Re the front (only) single position stock offset alignment bolts (from the existing setting) they only allow .3 of one degree which equates to 1/8 of an inch. While the K-MAC W203 kit provides 4 times this amount (1/2”).

4. Re Camber plates (front replacement upper strut mounts). Currently we manufacture for all below models. Available in Stage 2 – Street/Race and Stage 3 – Full race.

K-MAC patented design provides the biggest (and quickest) adjustment system. No mods to fit and highest 7075 grade (not soft billet) alloy.

Currently working on developing kit for the W203 - but unlike below models there is no 3 bolt mounting. Instead the strut shaft itself is the actual mount retainer. To make things more difficult the upper mount is contained in a integral metal cup inside the tower. So it is a challenge. But at K-MAC that is what it is all about. We have been manufacturing adjuster kits longer than anyone else (with more patents on innovative design breakthroughs than all other companies combined). We plan to have a W203 adjuster kit with additional 3 extra degrees by end of August.

• W204, X204, C207 A207 including AMG, Black Series
• C209 Black Series
• W212, 218 including AMG
• W176 (A), W246 (B), C117 (CLA), X156 (GLA), AMG
• C124, R129
Old 08-27-2015, 03:07 PM

C55
Took the car out for a little autocross action a couple of weeks ago. The lot / course was on the small side, not the most room to stretch the legs out. Ran it in both normal "ESP off" and the cheat code dyno mode.

I preferred the ESP off. While it does prevent you from doing full on tail out drifts, it's unobtrusive when the car is driven right to or slightly beyond the limit. Plus, the e-lsd and ABS are nice to have at your disposal.

I had a little trouble getting to the apexes early on, but recalibrated my driving ok enough to take a win in FS, though the competition was admittedly a little thin that day.

The car does continue to surprise me, performs a "sport" role better than anticipated. Had several people mention how good the car looked out there, which always gives you the warm / fuzzies.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:51 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
2006 C55
Awesome ^
Old 08-28-2015, 09:33 PM

2005 C55, 2006 Ram 2500 MegaCab diesel, sold 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins, sold 87 190e-16v, sold 97 e420
Any update KMAC on the added camber adjustment kit for the w203?

Originally Posted by K-Mac
1. Re one side sheered after 30,000 miles. Bushings are designed to have twice the load bearing area of OEM and we do all our research, proving on the race track. All out 10/10th’s competition. Big heavy V8’s - airborne after hitting race curbs end of main straights and slamming down lap after lap, situations where race safety scrutineers rule for strength, reliability only K-MAC adjuster kits allowed to be used. So yes, please advise name, address and exactly what happened!

2. Re installation (front) Camber and Caster kit – single wrench, precise adjustment. Does require removal of the 4 alloy arms. Forum member HeissRod https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-airmatic.html has kindly provided pics of step by step procedure of how to use the tubes supplied and a bench press to remove and replace these 4 bushes.

While the K-MAC rear adjuster – Camber (and extra Toe) can be carried out on vehicle using the bush extraction tool provided.

3. Re the front (only) single position stock offset alignment bolts (from the existing setting) they only allow .3 of one degree which equates to 1/8 of an inch. While the K-MAC W203 kit provides 4 times this amount (1/2”).

4. Re Camber plates (front replacement upper strut mounts). Currently we manufacture for all below models. Available in Stage 2 – Street/Race and Stage 3 – Full race.

K-MAC patented design provides the biggest (and quickest) adjustment system. No mods to fit and highest 7075 grade (not soft billet) alloy.

Currently working on developing kit for the W203 - but unlike below models there is no 3 bolt mounting. Instead the strut shaft itself is the actual mount retainer. To make things more difficult the upper mount is contained in a integral metal cup inside the tower. So it is a challenge. But at K-MAC that is what it is all about. We have been manufacturing adjuster kits longer than anyone else (with more patents on innovative design breakthroughs than all other companies combined). We plan to have a W203 adjuster kit with additional 3 extra degrees by end of August.

• W204, X204, C207 A207 including AMG, Black Series
• C209 Black Series
• W212, 218 including AMG
• W176 (A), W246 (B), C117 (CLA), X156 (GLA), AMG
• C124, R129
Old 08-28-2015, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Fun vid to watch, thx
Old 09-01-2015, 03:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts