C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Mother effing o2 sensors... help needed!

Old 07-10-2015, 08:03 AM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
'16 C63s
Angry Mother effing o2 sensors... help needed!

I need some assistance in resolving some o2 sensor related codes. My car has the Kleemann headers which, as you know, remove the primary cats. I installed some oxygen sensor spacers and they didn't work (2 codes kept coming back on after clearing - P0422 & P0432), so I switched to another kind and 2 days after the install the CEL went off and all was well. Well, last night on my drive home, the CEL comes back on but with 4 codes:

P0422 - Main Catalyst Below Threshhold (Bank 1)
P0432 - Main Catalyst Below Threshhold (Bank 2)
P0140 - O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0160 - O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 2 Sensor 2)

I highly doubt BOTH o2 sensors failed at the exact same time. If this spacer wasn't "the right one", I don't think the CEL would have ever cleaned itself 2 days after the install - that was 10 days ago.

Here is the spacer I currently have installed:
LINK
Old 07-10-2015, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
Which W203 AMG is it on? I have Kleemann mid length headers on my C32 without any issues. Using similar j-pipes. The issue may be the location of the J-pipes.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:31 AM

'16 C63s
Sorry, thought I had my car info on my profile... C55
Old 07-12-2015, 01:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 C55 RENNtech
Hey,
I was about to they those spacers as well
I called Cory at Kleemann and the problem you have is the result of the spacers.
Solution, Send your edu out to Kleemann and they will take care of it or you have to find someone with an unlocked star scanner and turn off the aft o2 on the scanner but call Cory while doing it if you are having problems he will walk you through it.
But not sure if you noticed the car sounds much smoother when the cel is cleared .
I cleared mine tonight and took it for a drive no cel and everything just feels so much better so I'll have to ask Cory by them turning of the cel would it adjust the ecu or is it just turning off the light? so that the engine does not recognize the aft o2
This is the only thing that puzzles me.
According to Cory the light on for the o2 does not affect the running of the car but I think differently.
I'm also looking in to do an extension and install the O2s after my high flow cats.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SRT-6
Added
Originally Posted by raphman
I need some assistance in resolving some o2 sensor related codes. My car has the Kleemann headers which, as you know, remove the primary cats. I installed some oxygen sensor spacers and they didn't work (2 codes kept coming back on after clearing - P0422 & P0432), so I switched to another kind and 2 days after the install the CEL went off and all was well. Well, last night on my drive home, the CEL comes back on but with 4 codes:

P0422 - Main Catalyst Below Threshhold (Bank 1)
P0432 - Main Catalyst Below Threshhold (Bank 2)
P0140 - O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0160 - O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 2 Sensor 2)

I highly doubt BOTH o2 sensors failed at the exact same time. If this spacer wasn't "the right one", I don't think the CEL would have ever cleaned itself 2 days after the install - that was 10 days ago.

Here is the spacer I currently have installed:
LINK
The orientation of the J tubes makes a difference. Mine face forward and slightly upward. (secondary sensor location) No problems with codes from my long tubes, ever.
Attached Thumbnails Mother effing o2 sensors... help needed!-headers.jpg  

Last edited by Velociabstract; 07-12-2015 at 08:33 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 07-12-2015, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by Velociabstract
The orientation of the J tubes makes a difference. Mine face forward and slightly upward. (secondary sensor location) No problems with codes from my long tubes, ever.
Exactly. Here is a picture. It is your Kleemann headers (minus 1 runner since I have a V6). Never had a problem. If you turn off the O2 sensors reporting back to the ECU which is what Kleemann does to get rid of the CEL, next time you go for a state inspection, you will have to turn it back on. Not a very practical solution for some.
Attached Thumbnails Mother effing o2 sensors... help needed!-2012-09-27_21-12-17_671.jpg  
Old 07-12-2015, 02:47 PM

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts
2011 C63 AMG, 589hp
http://www.exhausttuningparts.com/pu...N&id=62&cid=53

I got those,, no problems at all.
Try to reset ecu also.
cut the power for a couple of hours.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:46 AM

'16 C63s
Thanks guys, I'll adjust mine and see what happens. They're currently pointed up/forward (135° passenger side, 45° driver's side). Worst case scenario, I'll have the sensors turned off, which won't really be an issue since I'm moving to Florida very soon.

Last edited by raphman; 07-13-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 C55 RENNtech
Update ,
Ok After speaking with Kleemann today
I'm sending my ecu out for programming
By turning off the mode on the ecu it has that feature for countries that does not have emission laws but the sensor still to be on the system
and it is designed so that in emission countries if you were to do a scan
No fault will be thrown as for the car running any different Cory said it does not affect the car with the light on .its only for emission.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:37 PM

'16 C63s
Update here as well

Also got my ECU coded and no longer have to worry about the CEL (regarding the secondary o2 sensors, at least). Cory from Kleemann, who is an INCREDIBLY nice and helpful guy btw, explained to me how finicky the emissions system of a Mercedes is and how, in many cases, defoulers/spacers can't properly "fool" the ECU.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:13 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Very interesting information above! Thanks for sharing. Glad you got the issue resolved raphman.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:23 AM

'16 C63s
Thanks!
Here's what he had to say about defoulers/spacers:

"Regarding spacers- I’ve had very little luck with those- in fact, I’ve never been able to get them to work reliably. The ECU will self-test the diagnostic sensors (post cat) every 6 minutes (roughly) by momentarily making the fuel mixture either lean or rich. The ECU then expects to see a signal fluctuation from both the primary AND secondary O2 sensor during this self-test phase. Not only that, but the ECU wants to see that the diagnostic sensor reacts in a specific time period after the primary sensor does. Spacers often do not allow the diagnostic sensor to ‘see’ this change in mixture, and even if they do, the change in signal will often come too long after the reaction from the primary sensor, so you can get fault codes that say “aging/correction variable exceeded, delay time too long” or even “open circuit’ codes on the diagnostic sensor."
Old 07-17-2015, 11:25 AM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
It's always so interesting to see how different brands of cars react differently with things like these. Whereas, for comparison sake, other makes that successfully use spacers have no issues like these. MB's are very advanced in their technology. Sounds like you can learn a lot from him! Appreciate you sharing! I definitely learned something new.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2005 C55 AMG
Hello, I just purchased a c55 with no catalysts. It has been tuned by euro charged (by the previous owner) and thought everything was fine until now I keep getting this fault (P207F) Left O2 sensor (G3/3), before TWC (KAT) Ageing, correction variable exceeded Delay time too long. only on the driver's side. I've replaced both sensors(bosh sensors) hoping that would help but has not. hoping anyone could help. I was considering j tubes by now reading seems like it won't do a thing unless I put cats back in. Thanks, Andrew
Old 01-11-2022, 11:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BerubeC55
Hello, I just purchased a c55 with no catalysts. It has been tuned by euro charged (by the previous owner) and thought everything was fine until now I keep getting this fault (P207F) Left O2 sensor (G3/3), before TWC (KAT) Ageing, correction variable exceeded Delay time too long. only on the driver's side. I've replaced both sensors(bosh sensors) hoping that would help but has not. hoping anyone could help. I was considering j tubes by now reading seems like it won't do a thing unless I put cats back in. Thanks, Andrew
Were you able to figure this out?
Old 01-12-2022, 10:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2005 C55 AMG
Yes after messing around with live data on the scan tool and confirming the lambda is correct in all operating conditions. I condemned the tune that was on it. I contacted Kleemann USA and they put their performance tune on it with coding out the rear oxygen sensors. Once that was done everything has been running perfectly. The reason is that Mercedes will slightly change the A/F ratio and see how fast the front to rear sensor reaction is and will determine if the oxygen sensors are reacting fast enough. Unless you code out the rear sensors it will think the sensors are faulty with no OEM cats in it. Long story short I highly recommend Kleenmann USA very respectful company and priced very appropriately. This is something I can not say about eurocharged (stay away from them)