C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Front end noise when turning - only in HOT weather??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Front end noise when turning - only in HOT weather??

Since around June when the hot summer finally arrives in Chicago i've been noticing a very odd situation with the C32 with noises coming from my front end steering/suspension that has gotten worse the past few months.

when parked in my garage and starting up the car COLD it drives fine, no noises when turning the steering wheel and no noise when going over speed bumps for the first 30 mins of driving.

when the car gets HOT after 30 mins of driving, or if i parked it outside for several hours in the head you hear a very noticeable creaking sound when going over small bumps or speed bumps, plus hear a groaning noise immediately when starting to turn the car left or right.

i took it to a Firestone and they inspected everything and test drove it but couldnt recreate the noise and found all the obvious items looking ok aside from a strut that was showing some wear but not to the point of needing immediate replacement.

ive read a bunch of posts about front end noise creaks/groaning coming from thrust arm bushings being torn or leaking sway bar bushings and links, which i'll get checked - - but cant figure out why the sound is only present when the car is HOT and not there when COLD.

anyone ever experience this?

thx

Last edited by jvakos; 09-15-2015 at 10:49 AM. Reason: correcting title
Old 09-15-2015, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
one correction - the noise comes when the car warms up and gets fairly HOT which seems like it takes 30+ mins or longer. Noise situation is expedited if the weather outside is very HOT then the front end noise when turning or going over bumps will be noticeable after about 10 mins of driving.

Are there any front end steering/suspension components that if damaged or starting to degrade would make this kind of noise based on the front end being HOT after driven for a while??
Old 10-02-2015, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by jvakos
one correction - the noise comes when the car warms up and gets fairly HOT which seems like it takes 30+ mins or longer. Noise situation is expedited if the weather outside is very HOT then the front end noise when turning or going over bumps will be noticeable after about 10 mins of driving.

Are there any front end steering/suspension components that if damaged or starting to degrade would make this kind of noise based on the front end being HOT after driven for a while??
Still never figured out what this was, but definitely i had front end suspension and steering noise when the weather was really hot and the car was hot/been driven for a while.

Weather in chicago has been 50's and 60's this week and on a 4 hour drive i had to do there was zero noise and its magically gone. guess ill have to wait until next summer to sort this one out which isnt a bad thing
Old 10-05-2015, 12:46 AM

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts
2011 C63 AMG, 589hp
Top mounts on struts?
These are rubber against a 'cup' inside the strut tower.
And when suspension moves it might kuirk and squeek.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by swedepat
Top mounts on struts?
These are rubber against a 'cup' inside the strut tower.
And when suspension moves it might kuirk and squeek.

Swedepat - will have that checked good suggestion. Any idea if hot weather conditions (80 to 90 farenheit) would cause that rubber cup to make more noise compared to lower cold temps?

The weather has been 50 farenheit the past 2 weeks and ZERO noise from that situation which is driving me crazy trying to figure this out. thanks for input thought
Old 10-05-2015, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55, 2006 Ram 2500 MegaCab diesel, sold 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins, sold 87 190e-16v, sold 97 e420
I replaced my second set a few months ago. The second set were making the same sounds when they got hot.