C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 Intercooler Woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 10:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 ///AMG
C32 Intercooler Woes

I'm glad to see that it seems there is still a relatively active w203 C32/55 community here on the MBworld forums.

I have come to the sad realization that all C32's will eventually have the dreaded intercooler leak and that mine has just started. As of right now, I put in only 1/3cup of MB specific coolant when my car displays "low coolant" because I am trying to see how bad the leak is. It seems that my leak is very very slow, the low coolant light has only come on twice in 2500 miles. (Part of me just wants to fill the reservoir up to the top, as MB recommends and forget about it).

Anyway Im a mechanical engineering undergrad and I want to fix my car the right way.

I just purchased the Needswings intercooler cooling circuit separation kit and I plan to install it. When I install it I want to find either a small reservoir, or just some clear tubing so I can monitor the levels in the I/C circuit (as it will not longer be able to replenish coolant).

If it is still using coolant after being separated from the high-temp and high-pressure engine coolant system, I plan to add some "high quality" (or I guess the best I can find) STOP-LEAK to ONLY the intercooler circuit. This way, if the stop-leak does reek havoc on my cooling system it will be limited to the I/C circuit (pump, tubing, and the I/C).

If it is still leaking then I plan to purchase a new I/C. I came here to ask you fellas what your opinions are on replacement I/C's. There is an OEM available on PARTS.com for $750 (the best deal I can find so far). But I have heard these can still be prone to premature failure just like the ones that originally came bolted to our cars. I found this thread (http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...-got-real.html) and the links still seem good to purchase a newly built one from this fellow.

My question to you all, is it worth the extra money for this home fabricated intercooler? Is anyone running one and can comment on performance and reliability ?

Lastly, I have searched a few times, but I usually end up at broken links. Does anyone have any info on DIY supercharger and I/C removal?

Sorry for this lengthy post, but I'm looking forward to some great advice.

Thanks,

Nicholas

Last edited by nicks158; 01-24-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SRT-6
Speedriven makes the intercooler referenced in the Crossfire forum. I haven't read much real world experience with it but if my newish I/C springs a leak I'd buy it over the stock one.

Les
Old 01-25-2016, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c32
Eurocharged manufactures a good intercooler replacement. Its larger and cools more. The intercooler replacement is pretty straight forward just remove your front bumper and a couple lines plumbed into the side of it and your done. While your there you may want to look into a new intercooler pump. For the pump I've had good luck with the Johnson CM30. The only real difference youll notice will be if you had a tune done after you upgrade your cooler and add a pulley. Other than that it will basically just help keep your air charge nice and consistently cool. You may want to make sure your radiator isn't cracked and leaking glycol into your transmission though. The 2002 year is prone for failure. Just look up "valio radiator" and you should find a picture that you can compare your radiator to to see if its one of the baddies.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by kuneefay
Eurocharged manufactures a good intercooler replacement. Its larger and cools more. The intercooler replacement is pretty straight forward just remove your front bumper and a couple lines plumbed into the side of it and your done. While your there you may want to look into a new intercooler pump. For the pump I've had good luck with the Johnson CM30. The only real difference youll notice will be if you had a tune done after you upgrade your cooler and add a pulley. Other than that it will basically just help keep your air charge nice and consistently cool. You may want to make sure your radiator isn't cracked and leaking glycol into your transmission though. The 2002 year is prone for failure. Just look up "valio radiator" and you should find a picture that you can compare your radiator to to see if its one of the baddies.

Eurocharged does not manufacturer an intercooler, they make a hear exchanger.
Also, my car has an newer updated radiator as a known fact.
Lastly, ill update my pump when I do the intercooler. I'll likely do a Speedriven intercooler since they are down the street from me.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
While I support all EC products, thats the heat exchanger, not an Intercooler.

Originally Posted by kuneefay
Old 01-25-2016, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
AS far as the intercooler, I can say I bought a new OEM one and it failed on me after a year. I am now running one of Rudy's fabricated IC's and no problems yet after a year. I can say that it definitely looked beefier and much better quality than OEM.

My advice, yes, it's a little more than OEM but knowing that the OEM is prone to failure, I'd just go with the aftermarket one.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by Velociabstract
Speedriven makes the intercooler referenced in the Crossfire forum. I haven't read much real world experience with it but if my newish I/C springs a leak I'd buy it over the stock one.

Les
It's significantly more efficient than the factory setup. With an aftermarket pump (like the Pierburg, for example) there's definitely a seat-of-the-pants noticeable difference.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes Benz C32 AMG
Did any of you guys find black /dark brown cake gunk inside the intercooler and in the AMG manifolds? If that also because of a leaking I/C?
Old 04-13-2016, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32, 2012 S550
Typically, yes.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes Benz C32 AMG
I guess its new intercooler time.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:25 AM
Banned

Speedriven
We're 10% off this month, with free shipping! Seems like timing could have been worse, if it *had* to go bad.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes CL600 2003
intercooler kit upgrade

Does anybody know what happens, or what one does, to all the sensors that attach to the air pipe body between the two intercoolers when you upgrade the intercoolers? What do they do? I brought Speedriven intercoolers for my 2003 CL600 and we don't know what to do with the superfluous sensors. Any advice on what it means removing these sensors would be much appreciated.
Also after test fitting, the starboard side intake pipe from the intercooler rubs against the small black reservoir. How did we get around this?

Roger down under
Old 08-23-2016, 10:14 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Hi, Roger- thanks for reaching out. I just responded to the other thread you posted in and re-emailed you the install guide. Let's get this resolved.