C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

2005 C55 AMG Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
2005 C55 AMG Coolant leak

Checked all over the forums and google and have found nothing like my problem.

I was returning home late at night and my "check coolant level" message came on. I got home and figured since it is very hot, I'd wait until the morning. Fast forward a few hours, it's 9am and about 78deg out side. I pop my hood and notice my coolant reservoir is pretty low, not completely empty but about 1/4 left in it. I top it off and let her sit the entire day. At around 8pm I hop in the car and back out and notice a puddle of liquid on the ground and the message has come on again (check coolant level). I check the reservoir again and it looks lower than where I topped it off at. How does it pull from my reservoir if the car is off? I figured its a bad sensor or something so I took her out for 20 mins or so to go to the store and back. The whole time, I was monitoring the temp and there was nothing irregular, car ran fine. I get home and park and still bugged by the message, I check the radiator and notice some liquid dripping on the ground again, looks like it is coming form the center hole of that plastic cover on the bottom of the car. This morning I checked her out again and noticed it is still dripping stuff on the ground. So I start looking at the radiator closer and notice that the left side (driver's side) of the radiator has some liquid rolling down. I follow it up and under the hose at the very top I see lots of liquid. How can it leak if it has been sitting all night? and leak from the top and drain the reservoir while car is off? bad hose? bad radiator? im puzzled. ohh, its a clear liquid.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 amg
Originally Posted by Chan C Saelee
Checked all over the forums and google and have found nothing like my problem.

I was returning home late at night and my "check coolant level" message came on. I got home and figured since it is very hot, I'd wait until the morning. Fast forward a few hours, it's 9am and about 78deg out side. I pop my hood and notice my coolant reservoir is pretty low, not completely empty but about 1/4 left in it. I top it off and let her sit the entire day. At around 8pm I hop in the car and back out and notice a puddle of liquid on the ground and the message has come on again (check coolant level). I check the reservoir again and it looks lower than where I topped it off at. How does it pull from my reservoir if the car is off? I figured its a bad sensor or something so I took her out for 20 mins or so to go to the store and back. The whole time, I was monitoring the temp and there was nothing irregular, car ran fine. I get home and park and still bugged by the message, I check the radiator and notice some liquid dripping on the ground again, looks like it is coming form the center hole of that plastic cover on the bottom of the car. This morning I checked her out again and noticed it is still dripping stuff on the ground. So I start looking at the radiator closer and notice that the left side (driver's side) of the radiator has some liquid rolling down. I follow it up and under the hose at the very top I see lots of liquid. How can it leak if it has been sitting all night? and leak from the top and drain the reservoir while car is off? bad hose? bad radiator? im puzzled. ohh, its a clear liquid.
I had the same problem and I had to change the heater hose and radiator. But It could be just one of those two in your case.
The following users liked this post:
Chan C Saelee (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mercedesamg5532
I had the same problem and I had to change the heater hose and radiator. But It could be just one of those two in your case.
Exactly as you stated. Thanks. Got them replaced. Hopefully thats the end of it haha. Thanks agian.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:03 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
03 E55
Originally Posted by Mercedesamg5532
My heater core and radiator fixed my solution. I had to pay $500 with labor and parts just for the hoses...then I find out my radiator was cashed also.......lol
Old 06-02-2016, 09:44 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
For future reference, it could also be the oring gasket on the radiator hose. DIY is easy.
You can pull the hose out by removing a clip at the radiator (slide it sideway actually). Drain the coolant down first or you'll be sorry.
The end of the hose has a metal band with an O ring gasket.
Replace the gasket, clean the fittings, pop it back together, put the coolant back in (use a coffee filter in a funnel). Should be less than $15 part.