Bad motor mounts causing noise???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Bad motor mounts causing noise???

Just replaced my trans mount due to excess vibration while in gear and very low speeds and for about a day the car drove smooth.

2 days after the new trans mount i get this "clunking" noise over every bump and whenever turning all the way left or all the way right, which i tested by driving in a empty parking lot doing slow speed circles.

i suspect bad motor mounts and took a video of the engine movement while in gear and foot on brake with slight acceleration and you can see some engine movement in this video.

I'm now confused as after doing this engine vibration "test" for 7-10 times I took the car out for a drive and the clunking noise is almost gone, nothing over bumps or when turning.

Before screwing around with sway bar bushings as the cause of the clunk, it is my "guess" that bad motor mounts are the culprit and causing the clunking but why would that noise go away after doing my engine vibration "test" described above???

any guesses?? Will get the mounts inspected and probably replace is my guess....

thx in advance for any insights
Old 07-06-2016, 08:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
C32 amg
Originally Posted by jvakos
Just replaced my trans mount due to excess vibration while in gear and very low speeds and for about a day the car drove smooth.

2 days after the new trans mount i get this "clunking" noise over every bump and whenever turning all the way left or all the way right, which i tested by driving in a empty parking lot doing slow speed circles.

i suspect bad motor mounts and took a video of the engine movement while in gear and foot on brake with slight acceleration and you can see some engine movement in this video.

2003 C32 AMG - bad motor mount? - YouTube

I'm now confused as after doing this engine vibration "test" for 7-10 times I took the car out for a drive and the clunking noise is almost gone, nothing over bumps or when turning.

Before screwing around with sway bar bushings as the cause of the clunk, it is my "guess" that bad motor mounts are the culprit and causing the clunking but why would that noise go away after doing my engine vibration "test" described above???

any guesses?? Will get the mounts inspected and probably replace is my guess....

thx in advance for any insights
I have seen motor mounts 10x worst then that, flex disc or suspension parts.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Morphh -think you're right about being the suspension. sway bar bushings or control arm. i havent replaced any front end suspension parts for about 4-5 years so will have my indy shop take a look there.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:06 PM

C32 amg
Originally Posted by jvakos
Morphh -think you're right about being the suspension. sway bar bushings or control arm. i havent replaced any front end suspension parts for about 4-5 years so will have my indy shop take a look there.
I know thrust arms or lower control arms, sway bar end links or sway bar bushings
Old 07-07-2016, 12:08 PM

C32 amg
Originally Posted by Morphh
I know thrust arms or lower control arms, sway bar end links or sway bar bushings
Go on YouTube if u want to see bad motor mount for cars it moves like 2 feet,