C32 AMG power steering fluid leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
C32 AMG power steering fluid leak

Hello everyone.
You were of great help for my intercooler pump issue, so here I am creating a topic regarding my power steering.

Let me start off by saying that I have already read most of the topics discussing this, however a few questions remain.

Anyway, to sum things up, car stayed in my closed garage for 2 weeks.
Prior to that, I hadn't noticed any problems.
When I started it for the first time in 2 weeks, 3 days ago, I could hear the power steering pump while turning and going slow.
Checked the fluid level, it was very low (didn't even wet the dipstick).

Refilled it with about 120 mL yesterday, then did the hard left-hard right turn manoeuver to purge the system. This morning, the pump was whining again.
Adding some more fluid made the whining go away.

Upon inspection, my power steering pump looks quite oily, as if there was a leak directly surrounding it, which brings us to my questions:
-Are there any pump gaskets in this power steering system?
-If not, in your experience, which are the most frequent leak sources for this particular car model?

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated and if you need more info I will be happy to provide it.

Thanks a lot
Old 08-20-2016, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
The power steering fluid reservoir has a small rubber o-ring. This is probably the simplest thing to check first.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:48 AM

2002 C32 AMG
I looked closer at the pump while adding some oil, and it seems like the link between reservoir and pump is perfectly clean.
The leak seems to come from the part I circled in red on this picture :
(credits for the pic go to this topic http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w203...ring-pump.html )

Does anybody know what this part is, and if there's a seal to change?
Old 08-21-2016, 12:21 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
A copy of the WIS would help determine if parts are available for that connection. Sorry but I don't know the answer.

I'd advise pressure cleaning everything of all oil, then finding the leak.
If it is that connection shown, go ahead and pull it off to see how it's sealed, then fix it.
My guess is an o ring, or gasket.

A trip to the parts counter at a dealer might also yield the diagrams and parts required.
Let us know what fixes it.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:34 PM

2002 C32 AMG
I'll be going to the dealer tomorrow, to let them check it out and tell me where the leak is.
That way, I'll know exactly what to fix.

Of course, there is a possibility that the dealer will over evaluate the problem and try to sell me a pump and a steering rack, in which case I'll just refuse and stop going to them.

I will also be pressure washing the pump tonight, in order to try and find the leak spot tomorrow hopefully

Last edited by 91nb; 08-21-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 91nb
I looked closer at the pump while adding some oil, and it seems like the link between reservoir and pump is perfectly clean.
The leak seems to come from the part I circled in red on this picture :
(credits for the pic go to this topic http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w203...ring-pump.html )

Does anybody know what this part is, and if there's a seal to change?
This looks like the a delivery line from pump to steering. There is a seal ring MB part number N007603016105. There should be a banjo bolt holding the hose and the seal ring sits on that banjo bolt.
The following users liked this post:
C3Duece (08-23-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 04:30 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Thanks a lot man, I'll look into that this afternoon after work.

Will keep you posted
Old 08-23-2016, 05:23 AM

2002 C32 AMG
I'm back with some news.
Before doing anything, I decided to go and pressure wash the pump and reservoir, and to me the leak seemed to start from the O ring between reservoir and pump.

Took it to the dealership, they examined the car then quoted me 1754€(almost 1900 dollars) to replace the pump, which is absolutely ridiculous, especially since I'm almost sure the pump doesn't need to be replaced. Never going there anymore.

That being said, they did give me the part number on their written document (which was free), as well as the part numbers for the seals (I would be happy to share them with you guys if this is useful to anyone).
And I now know for sure that my steering rack is intact, which is very good to know.

Last edited by 91nb; 08-23-2016 at 05:25 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 C55 AMG
The red circled component is NOT part of your power steering! That is the AC discharge hose that goes to the AC condenser. I just replaced this hose due to the serpentine belt shredding causing a leak where the rubber hose is crimped to the fitting. There is a standard Viton O-ring underneath. It is under pressure if your AC is working normally. It looks like your power steering pump has been removed. If you decide to fix that red circled AC leak, then you'll have to evacuate the R-134a, replace the leaking O-ring, pump the system down under vacuum and recharge with R-134a.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MoE55
The red circled component is NOT part of your power steering! That is the AC discharge hose that goes to the AC condenser. I just replaced this hose due to the serpentine belt shredding causing a leak where the rubber hose is crimped to the fitting. There is a standard Viton O-ring underneath. It is under pressure if your AC is working normally. It looks like your power steering pump has been removed. If you decide to fix that red circled AC leak, then you'll have to evacuate the R-134a, replace the leaking O-ring, pump the system down under vacuum and recharge with R-134a.
Yep, looking at it again, it does look like an AC hose. But what I said about the PS hose and the O-ring still stands.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 amg, 2002 ML320
If you replace the o-ring, replace the retainer clip as well.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:52 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Back with some news. I know an independant mechanic, located in Geneva, that I trust. So I will be taking the c32 to him, in order for him to do the necessary repairs.
He charges me almost nothing (20€ per labor hour), and from past experience has been excellent with repairs on other amgs owned by the family.

I will be taking all of the parts that might be needed with me.

I ordered a new pump. The original bosch pump is unfortunately unavailable in Europe (unless I wait for a month)..
Here is the pump I ordered, it is certified compatible by the site, and has a 2 year warranty. In case my pump doesn't need to be replaced, I'll just return this one.
https://www.oscaro.com/pompe-de-dire...9-6587362-12-p

I also bought the O-ring and copper rings needed for this replacement, and will be ordering a reservoir shortly.

Costs a lot but hey, I wanted an AMG, it's only fair that repairs will cost more than other cars

On another topic, the MB tech also told me this part is starting to fall apart and should be replaced.
Should I stick with OEM (a bit more expensive) or order this one?
https://www.oscaro.com/joint-arbre-l...-370452-1427-p

Last edited by 91nb; 08-27-2016 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:01 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
The pump you ordered should be fine. They are pretty simple devices that either work, or don't work. Or leak, or don't leak. Not sure you need a new reservoir...maybe just the O ring to seal it to the pump. Again it is a simple part, like a coffee cup.

The flex disk should be replaced at any sign of stress. Febi Bilstien is a name I would trust, as well as Lemforder for engine mounts and bushings. Should have your car back in a day as soon as the parts come in.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:46 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Hello everyone!
The powersteering problem has finally been solved, after about 30 minutes of DIY!

Since the pump ended up not being in stock, I decided to re start from scratch and identify the source of the leak (hoping the pump was still OK). And since the leak had gotten worse, it was easier for me to locate it, exactly at the link between the reservoir and pump.

I ended up purchasing a new reservoir and O-ring from the dealership.
Changed the reservoir myself this morning, and then purged the system following the great advice I could find on the forum (raised the car on a jack, had a friend turn the wheel from lock to lock with the engine off while I added some pentosin CHF 11S, then turned the engine on and kept going).

The leak is gone, the noise is gone, and now the steering feels better than ever. Thank you all for the time you gave me.