C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 AMG worn strut bearings (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
C32 AMG worn strut bearings (with pictures)

Hello everyone
I have been having cluncks and cracks coming from the front of the car (started on the left corner, and now can also be audible on the right).
I checked out the sticky related to suspension noises, and I think it's my strut bearings.
Opened the hood today, and turned the wheel, the strut moves from front to back, the bearing seems loose and there is a distance between the top of the bearing and the bottom. Is this normal?

I had the lower control arms and steering rack checked, mechanic said they were all ok, so as far as I know struts and strut bearings are the only things left to check...

Pictures below, your help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 91nb; 09-30-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 ///AMG
Hello 91nb, I had a similar problem with my C32. I replaced nearly every front end suspension component and still could not get rid of the clunk. I found out that this clunk is most likely coming from the front macpherson strut assembly. Due to its construction the clunk cannot be reproduced in any test aside from road tests. I replaced all of my suspension with H&R springs and Bilstein B8 struts and it has solved all of my problems. Also note that the gap between the hat and your bushing is normal.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
C32 amg
Originally Posted by nicks158
Hello 91nb, I had a similar problem with my C32. I replaced nearly every front end suspension component and still could not get rid of the clunk. I found out that this clunk is most likely coming from the front macpherson strut assembly. Due to its construction the clunk cannot be reproduced in any test aside from road tests. I replaced all of my suspension with H&R springs and Bilstein B8 struts and it has solved all of my problems. Also note that the gap between the hat and your bushing is normal.
i had noises, I replaced sway bar bushings and links and everything is fine now.