C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Location to insert smoke into engine for smoke test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C32, 03 ML55
Location to insert smoke into engine for smoke test

I have a bit of a stumble at stop lights... the engine bobbles a bit and I believe it is a vacuum leak some where.

I built a smoke test machine and am not sure where to connect it to the C32 2002 engine.

Any recommendations on which tube or connector where I can input smoke into the engine looking for the vacuum leak?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2016, 09:34 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
C32 amg
[QUOTE=c32jet;6931327]I have a bit of a stumble at stop lights... the engine bobbles a bit and I believe it is a vacuum leak some where.

I built a smoke test machine and am not sure where to connect it to the C32 2002 engine.

Any recommendations on which tube or connector where I can input smoke into the engine looking for the vacuum leak?

Thanks[/QUOT
Im thinking vacuum lines,
Old 10-03-2016, 10:55 AM

02 C32, 03 ML55
[QUOTE=Morphh;6931779]
Originally Posted by c32jet
I have a bit of a stumble at stop lights... the engine bobbles a bit and I believe it is a vacuum leak some where.

Thanks[/QUOT
Im thinking vacuum lines,
Yes, but where? I tried pulling a few what I believe to be vacuum lines and hooked up a hose and tried to blow smoke in from a cigar... I couldn't blow 'any' air in. Either the thing is super air tight or I am not doing it right, hence the request to the experts on the forum.

I will find a map of the vacuum lines... and keep testing trial and error.

I am weekend mechanic (if that even) was hoping someone could point me to a specific location. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:16 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
C32 amg
[QUOTE=c32jet;6931861]
Originally Posted by Morphh

Yes, but where? I tried pulling a few what I believe to be vacuum lines and hooked up a hose and tried to blow smoke in from a cigar... I couldn't blow 'any' air in. Either the thing is super air tight or I am not doing it right, hence the request to the experts on the forum.

I am weekend mechanic (if that even) was hoping someone could point me to a specific location. Thanks.
Throwing any codes ?
Old 10-04-2016, 12:17 AM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
[QUOTE=c32jet;6931861]
Originally Posted by Morphh

With a real smoke machine I always pump it in the purge line, take it off purge valve and pump smoke in there. Not sure if a cigar will work though
Old 10-04-2016, 06:49 AM

02 C32, 03 ML55
Smoke into purge value idea for smoke test - thx

<<With a real smoke machine I always pump it in the purge line, take it off purge valve and pump smoke in there. Not sure if a cigar will work though>>

Not throwing any codes..

Thanks, understood.. I have a machine to do it now... the cigar was a bust (laughable now that I think about it - watching too many videos on youtube on how to solve the problem).

Thanks for the purge valve idea, I will give that a try.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 SL55
check your engine mounts...if put put the car in neutral at a complete stop if the engine stops shaking thats a good sign of a bad engine mount

also if you have someone look at the engine bay with hood open if the engine moves from left to right when accelerating that is another sign of a failed mount