C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Pulley Failure! My C32 Left Me Stranded

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Magma Red C32 AMG, 2003 Silver C32 AMG
Pulley Failure! My C32 Left Me Stranded

Yesterday I woke up and started my journey to a car show with my girlfriend in my Silver Track C32. Half way there and a hour away from home, my alternator message popped up in red and my power steering went out so I immediately pulled over because I new it was something with the belt and the car was no longer being cooled.

After popping the hood I noticed the belt was off but not destroyed? So then I assumed it was a stuck pulled. I began to rotate all the pulleys and then when I got to the Idler pulley, It burned the crap out of me! I took my phone and examined it, and quickly realized I was stranded. The belt also got wedged and stuck when I was trying to see if I could get it out of the way. It had to be cut.

When I got home I removed it and It looks like it destroyed its self and the thing it bolts too...

I managed to record it all for my YouTube and so I could get your opinion. Do you think I need a new water pump?
Here it is:

Pulley isn't stock. I've attached a couple pictures of the failure.
Attached Thumbnails Pulley Failure! My C32 Left Me Stranded-img_2313.jpg   Pulley Failure! My C32 Left Me Stranded-img_2312.jpg  
Old 10-10-2016, 03:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 C300
Originally Posted by ImMax
Yesterday I woke up and started my journey to a car show with my girlfriend in my Silver Track C32. Half way there and a hour away from home, my alternator message popped up in red and my power steering went out so I immediately pulled over because I new it was something with the belt and the car was no longer being cooled.

After popping the hood I noticed the belt was off but not destroyed? So then I assumed it was a stuck pulled. I began to rotate all the pulleys and then when I got to the Idler pulley, It burned the crap out of me! I took my phone and examined it, and quickly realized I was stranded. The belt also got wedged and stuck when I was trying to see if I could get it out of the way. It had to be cut.

When I got home I removed it and It looks like it destroyed its self and the thing it bolts too...

I managed to record it all for my YouTube and so I could get your opinion. Do you think I need a new water pump?
Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaOSuEnviio

Pulley isn't stock. I've attached a couple pictures of the failure.
how many miles on the pulley ? You can check the other pulleys by spinning them and listening for noise - unless water pump is leaking or bearing is making noise of leave it . Change idler and tensioner plus belt ....
Old 10-10-2016, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
This is a common failure. It appears to have damaged the mount so I would replace the water pump. It is a pain but probably about time if it hasn't been done anyway. To help avoid this in the future you can get a pulley saver/ belt wrap kit from needswings. It has a larger idler pulley to slow down the rotation.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:56 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. This is a costly tow for a pretty cheap part.

One of the first things I do with a used car is to go through all systems and moving parts to check for wear, as well as replacing all fluids and filters. I spent about a month getting my C32 in working order, and well over $2000 in parts, all DIY. The list of failures on the posts here gives the items to inspect.

In this case, I pull the belt off and wiggle / spin these pulleys. I've replaced 3 already as preventative measures, and wrote a list of suspect items to keep an eye on. I bought a stethoscope to listen to them also (<$10).

As a pilot I need to make sure an airplane is airworthy before every flight, as I can't just pull over to fix something. I treat my cars the same way. I've yet to be stranded (knock on wood) in the last 30 years, but have had 2 alternator failures that allowed me to limp home as the batteries slowly drained.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by insame1
This is a common failure. It appears to have damaged the mount so I would replace the water pump. It is a pain but probably about time if it hasn't been done anyway. To help avoid this in the future you can get a pulley saver/ belt wrap kit from needswings. It has a larger idler pulley to slow down the rotation.
What he said
Old 10-10-2016, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Magma Red C32 AMG, 2003 Silver C32 AMG
Originally Posted by kbob999
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. This is a costly tow for a pretty cheap part.

One of the first things I do with a used car is to go through all systems and moving parts to check for wear, as well as replacing all fluids and filters. I spent about a month getting my C32 in working order, and well over $2000 in parts, all DIY. The list of failures on the posts here gives the items to inspect.

In this case, I pull the belt off and wiggle / spin these pulleys. I've replaced 3 already as preventative measures, and wrote a list of suspect items to keep an eye on. I bought a stethoscope to listen to them also (<$10).

As a pilot I need to make sure an airplane is airworthy before every flight, as I can't just pull over to fix something. I treat my cars the same way. I've yet to be stranded (knock on wood) in the last 30 years, but have had 2 alternator failures that allowed me to limp home as the batteries slowly drained.
I now know not to underlook my pulleys. I should have checked... I'll be buying the NeedsWings Pulley saver kit.

Last edited by ImMax; 10-10-2016 at 06:17 PM.