C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Need to adjust Carlsson suspension on my C32, questions for suspension/exhaust pros

Old 10-26-2016, 11:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 AMG
Need to adjust Carlsson suspension on my C32, questions for suspension/exhaust pros

I bought my 04 C32 about a year ago and I've slowly, while doing some work here and there as work as I went, figured out there are quite a lot of great mods done by the previous owner (probably the 1st owner, I'm the 3rd), including a Renntech pully kit, Carlsson (virtual) quad exhaust, Carlsson X Bilstein struts, ect.
My struts/shocks look exactly like the set a previous forum member listed awhile back:
https://mbworld.org/forums/classifie...uspension.html

However, I've run into a bit of a problem. I bought it used and it was quite low to the ground; I left it that way because I love the way this thing handles and drives on the freeway but the time has come when I finally have to throw in the towel and raise it, at least until I move this summer. As I drive in and out of my apartment complex's garage, no matter the angle or speed I try, I scrape the downpipe of the exhaust (in the middle of the car close to where the front axle is). Well, this last time I did it, an awful clattering/rattling emanating from that same spot started. It sounds like the car is about to fall apart at any moment, when turning the wheel even slightly while in motion.

Here are my questions for some pros when it comes to suspension/exhaust upgrades:
1) I need to raise the car for now. Street parking is asking for trouble here where I'm at in LA. Is there a universal tool for adjusting the springs threading hat (I'm sure there is a better word for that, but hopefully you know what I mean)?

2) The front and rear struts/shocks mounts have probably never been replaced since the previous owner upgraded the suspension and is likely way over-due. (I can hear what sounds like metal rattling in the left rear when I have weight in the back and hit a dip in the road) Do I use stock Mercedes rubber mounts/bearings for that or are they specific to Bilstein/Carlsson?

3) Any chance this noise can be pinpointed? What should I look for when I get it up in the air?

Thanks in advance. These may be trivial questions, but other than swapping entire strut assemblies on past cars, I have no experience in this arena.
Attached Thumbnails Need to adjust Carlsson suspension on my C32, questions for suspension/exhaust pros-img_9482.jpg   Need to adjust Carlsson suspension on my C32, questions for suspension/exhaust pros-rear_angle_view.jpg  
Old 10-27-2016, 10:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 C55
you can order the spanner wrenches from Bilstein in Poway tell them you have there kit...call ask for Lisa in warranty tell her you lost them maybe she give you a free set
The following users liked this post:
purplecat001 (10-28-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 04:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 AMG
Thanks greekspec.
I called the 800 number yesterday before I saw your response and got nowhere. Called again today (but the Poway number that you mentioned) and they were able to pull up the spanners. Unfortunately warranty passed me over to sales, but that's ok. I was able to order the spanner wrenches (they were part #B4-XS1-Z001A00) and also the rear bushings (part #E4-AP3-Z005A01). The rest (like the mounts) seem to be Mercedes stock parts.

I do have another question. Can anyone with stock height on the C32, check their car and tell me what the height is in the front and rear (the distance from ground to the bottom of the bumpers). I want to make sure that I keep it the correct ratio of front to back and don't raise it too high.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:50 AM

2005 C55
Originally Posted by purplecat001
Thanks greekspec.
I called the 800 number yesterday before I saw your response and got nowhere. Called again today (but the Poway number that you mentioned) and they were able to pull up the spanners. Unfortunately warranty passed me over to sales, but that's ok. I was able to order the spanner wrenches (they were part #B4-XS1-Z001A00) and also the rear bushings (part #E4-AP3-Z005A01). The rest (like the mounts) seem to be Mercedes stock parts.

I do have another question. Can anyone with stock height on the C32, check their car and tell me what the height is in the front and rear (the distance from ground to the bottom of the bumpers). I want to make sure that I keep it the correct ratio of front to back and don't raise it too high.
here are the height specs for the coilovers.....look an page 7 that's the working range of the suspension

http://www.dvsegmbh.info/PDF/einbau/...M4-Y528A00.PDF
Old 10-29-2016, 12:56 AM

2005 C55
here's mine when I pulled it apart to trim the bump stop so I could get more bump travel than stock....

Need to adjust Carlsson suspension on my C32, questions for suspension/exhaust pros-img_20140817_192814_zpsbpqtwc9c.jpg