C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

can a/c be turned off with one button?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GL550
can a/c be turned off with one button?

WHats the fastest way to turn off the a/c. I always find myself pressing the "-" button until it goes to 0. Is there a way to turn it off with a push of a button? I get tired of having to press the "-" button repeatedly until it shuts off.

For those who encounter a lot of races when they are driving. Do you guys shut off the a/c before you try and race? Cause pressing that "-" button many times to shut it off would take awhile. It seems like with a/c on, the car feels a little bit weaker.

Juss curious. =)
Old 10-21-2004, 04:04 AM

2002 C 32
You can try the "REST" button. I think that should shut off the A/C. One of the reasons I bought the C32 is that you should be able to win most of the races without having to shut off the A/C and still keep cool at the same time. I think that's the bascis of what a luxury sports sedan must offer.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
on a warm day the ac makes a fairly large difference in the C32's performance.

The only way to turn it off is by pressing that - button and yes that design is not great. The rest button is for use when the car is off and it circulates left over engine heat to keep the driver slightly warm.

try hitting the EC or AC off button (EC on earlier cars and AC off on later cars) to turn off the AC compressor. That button does not shut it off all together but it gives back most the power the compressor zaps when on in full force.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:16 AM

2012 GL550
On a 2002 C32, I don't think theres an AC button. Do you mean the EC/Rest button?

I guess the best option is to press the EC/rest button if I want to get back most of the power quickly.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:34 AM

C32AMG
Originally Posted by bnz616
For those who encounter a lot of races when they are driving. Do you guys shut off the a/c before you try and race? Cause pressing that "-" button many times to shut it off would take awhile. It seems like with a/c on, the car feels a little bit weaker.

Juss curious. =)
I have run my car at the track out of curiosity with the AC on and with it off and there is almost no difference in my 1/4 mile times, the difference was 0.06 I ran with the AC on first and ran it without the AC about 45 minutes later. I was quite surprised given other variables like change in temperature consistency of launch etc if AC zapped that much power I would think it would be a larger differnce. But then as with refrigeration units the AC pump cycles on and off may have caught it when it was cycling off.

According to the owners manual I remember it saying the EC button turns off the AC, pressing the - button down to 0 just turns off the fan, if the AC is on then pressing the - to 0 turns off the fan and the AC

The c32 AC units are pretty efficient, in my brothers 97 1.8T audi you know when the AC switch is on, it totally drags the car down especially on slight hills when you start off the car wants to stall. With the C32 I honestly cannot tell the difference when the AC is on or off.

T

Last edited by TC32AMG; 10-22-2004 at 02:37 AM.