C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Replacing Serpentine Belt?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 C36 AMG
Replacing Serpentine Belt?

Just replaced water pump on my 95 C36 (ugh!) and am trying to get the *&%$###!! serpentine belt back on. My online service manual says to loosen the tensioner device, which in their diagrams looks like a bolt sticking up beside the water pump I just put in. Okay....not one there. Any suggestions?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:10 PM

you need to put the belt on as best as you can w/ the top pulley not being fitted and you need to pull the belt up as far as you can so you can reset the pulley..... chances are ur gonna need a tensioner, those are junk.... im suprised you didn't get a new one since you had the old one off..... water pump on the 104 engine is a pain in the ***.....
Old 11-13-2007, 08:05 PM

95 C36 AMG
Originally Posted by MBHustla858
water pump on the 104 engine is a pain in the ***.....

You said it! I felt like I was birthing a calf, up to my elbows in the engine! I haven't ever seen such! If anybody is considering doing it....keep a cooler nearby! And hope that you have small hands. The bolts on that booger were incredibly hard to locate, and then next to impossible to get the tool in a position to remove them.

I actually didn't take the tensioner off - just got the water pump out and the serpentine belt - that was all I was willing to take on at one time.

As an update - I found some info online that there are two possible belts that can be purchased. It appears that I may have the smaller of the two. Ugh.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1995 AMG C36
Where is the info can you post a link? I'm trying to change my belt also.