Climate control unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
Climate control unit

My climate control unit has the LCD problem where it won't show everything, is there some sort of fix for this or do I just have to buy a new unit?
Old 06-22-2010, 04:51 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
My climate control unit has the LCD problem where it won't show everything, is there some sort of fix for this or do I just have to buy a new unit?
you've got the same cancer rot as the most c43 owners here on this forum!
tap the glas carefylly with your finger and the digits should come back!
this is what I do.

buying a new unit is a biage!
if your digits are burned out and they never come back then you have to get it fixed if possible or buy a new deck from autohaus or another cheap internet vendor.

these Climate head unit decks are crap.
they all suffer from losing their digits when they get old.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hurry jhon
Small black vac line coming from firewall most likly pass side it runs to a vac canister thain to the intake manifold good luck.
what are you saying?
vac line can't cause the digits fading out?
digits gone is from the plastic film between screen and the connectors in the HU losing contact.
At least what I heard.
On some SAAB cars with digital display from 98 and onwards, cheap fix was to take the iron and apply an owen paper to the back of the film and apply heat from the iron, this way it's back in contact again.
I dunno for how long this helps but it might help?
Old 06-22-2010, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Small black vac line coming from firewall most likly pass side it runs to a vac canister thain to the intake manifold good luck.
Not the first time this guy makes bizarre comments...
Old 06-22-2010, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43

BAN THE BOT MODERATOR
Old 06-22-2010, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
I have the same problem with my C240T but not seen it (yet) on the C43. Gently tap the screen on the side (not onto the crystal screen) and the numbers should come back alive. Sometimes the screen shows humidity inside. In this case, try to increase or decrease the temp and the humidity should also disappear.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:21 PM

C43
Some place can fix these I found online. Located in Taunton, MA. They wanted $300.00

I found slight pressure in the center of mine (top of the frame of the LCD) will hold it. I am going to try to wedge a business car size piece in the center and see if that holds it.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:37 PM

C43
For what its worth I tried the card board wedge and so far 3 days it works for mine well. No LCD going blank. Not sure if its a solution to your troubles but it is working for mine so far.

I used a thicker piece about the width of a cereal box card board. I trimmed it down so its flush with the frame and used a black marker on the exposed side. Its not noticeable.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Frank Castle
For what its worth I tried the card board wedge and so far 3 days it works for mine well. No LCD going blank. Not sure if its a solution to your troubles but it is working for mine so far.

I used a thicker piece about the width of a cereal box card board. I trimmed it down so its flush with the frame and used a black marker on the exposed side. Its not noticeable.

I tried pushing all around my face and it didn't really work. If I tap the actual face it will work for short periods of time but I do not consider this a fix..... I am probably going to get mine fixed or a new one but that will be at the bottom of my list as the unit does still work just fine I just can't see temps and such.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Banned

I tried pushing all around my face and it didn't really work. If I tap the actual face it will work for short periods of time but I do not consider this a fix..... I am probably going to get mine fixed or a new one but that will be at the bottom of my list as the unit does still work just fine I just can't see temps and such.
i guess your display is even more fuuuuuked upp than mine if you can't see the digits!
when I tap the glass display digits come back for long time I mean during I drive my car.
this is a good way to waste money on a half working part!
I want a new deck but it still works, buying new just to see the digits perfect?
I dunno now?
I guess that these digits are failing is because our cars are using stiff suspenson and all the vibrating fuuuks up the electronic boards
Old 06-24-2010, 07:48 PM

C43
Sorry I couldn't offer all a easy fix. I do know they pull off easy as the radios. Maybe a dead 202 in Junk Yard could offer a cheap replacement vs a $300- repair. I got a wiper control unit for $20-
Old 06-24-2010, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry I couldn't offer all a easy fix. I do know they pull off easy as the radios. Maybe a dead 202 in Junk Yard could offer a cheap replacement vs a $300- repair. I got a wiper control unit for $20-
Wish I could find a junk yard that had mercedes, don't know why but I can't seem to find one close or that has any parts that I need.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:33 PM

C43
Its luck of the draw with them. I have one locally that I would check in with. Get some local numbers and call em once in a while?

Potomac German Auto is a Huge MB graveyard and will have things you can't find. I scored a replacement for my dimming side view mirror for less than new. They are not cheap cause they kind of know what they have. The local guy here I find does not care so much. They want to move the biggy parts ya know?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its luck of the draw with them. I have one locally that I would check in with. Get some local numbers and call em once in a while?

Potomac German Auto is a Huge MB graveyard and will have things you can't find. I scored a replacement for my dimming side view mirror for less than new. They are not cheap cause they kind of know what they have. The local guy here I find does not care so much. They want to move the biggy parts ya know?
Funny story.... today my LCD on my climate control unit was almost flawless. I could read it all!!! It's almost as if my climate control unit knew I was looking to replace it and it decided to snap to......
Old 06-25-2010, 06:33 AM
Banned

Funny story.... today my LCD on my climate control unit was almost flawless. I could read it all!!! It's almost as if my climate control unit knew I was looking to replace it and it decided to snap to......
Hey Mr.Trunkmat.
so it happens with the LCD display that it works perfect on and off, looking like new.
it's a sneeky bugger!
but it's damaged and needs a fix or replacement.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mind tonight decided to join the club of faulties. Gave a gentle tap and all worked again!
Old 06-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
Mind tonight decided to join the club of faulties. Gave a gentle tap and all worked again!
you had it all the time but you haven't noticed it yet until now!
merda
scheize verdamt!

I think it's the killer suspension fuuukin the display!
Old 06-30-2010, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kowalski
you had it all the time but you haven't noticed it yet until now!
merda
scheize verdamt!

I think it's the killer suspension fuuukin the display!
So I have had enough of my faulty LCD display...... I am picking up some of the radio removal keys tomorrow and I am pulling my climate control unit. I found a thread that discussed what the cause of the faulty LCD is and I am going to see if the thread is right. I will post results tomorrow.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:02 AM
Banned

So I have had enough of my faulty LCD display...... I am picking up some of the radio removal keys tomorrow and I am pulling my climate control unit. I found a thread that discussed what the cause of the faulty LCD is and I am going to see if the thread is right. I will post results tomorrow.
gut luck
Old 06-30-2010, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
AC control unit

They're for sale on the 'bay' ALL the time - as of this morning 06/30/2010 there's one for sale for $159 Verify the P/N on this unit LINK
Old 06-30-2010, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
When you take it apart it might be a zebra connector LCD setup. These are little plastic rubber strips that conduct from the PC board to the actual LCD. If the rubber deteriorates and distorts these contacts no longer press against the LCD and PC board contacts sufficiently thus why pressing on the screen helps the problem. Try to clean them up, or best case try to find replacement LCD zebras.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE... LCD FIXED!!!

So I tore the climate control unit apart today and put it all back together and BOOOOOOOOOM!!!! IT WORKS!!!!! Here is what I did.....

1.) Bought the radio removal keys from the dealership for $10.50, these are used to pull the radio AND climate control unit

2.) pulled the Climate control unit out of my car using the radio removal keys. You slide the keys in and you will hear a click, the keys have a handle and you just pull out the unit. There are 2 connectors on the unit which you have to push down on a little tab and slide the weird gray plastic "hinge" thingy all the way which will pop out the connectors. Hard to explain but if you pull it out you will see exactly what I am talking about.
Climate control unit-climate-control-unit-1.jpg

3.) I opened the unit by lifting 4 tabs on the top and putting in some small metal shims to keep them from popping back in (you could use almost anything like paper or whatever I just had these metal things that worked perfectly) then you depress the 3 tabs on the bottom of the unit (I was prying it open as I depressed the tabs to keep them from popping back in)
Climate control unit-climate-control-unit-2.jpg
Climate control unit-climate-control-unit-3.jpg

4.) you will need to remove the light bulb on the bottom of the unit (simply twist and pull, I used needle nose pliers) as well as the security locking tabs (again I used needle nose pliers as they just pull out) after these are removed you can pull out the circuit board form the main housing. The face will still be attached to the circuit board.
Climate control unit-climate-control-unit-4.jpg

5.) you need to remove 6 screws that have a star pattern from the circuit board, these hold the face onto the board (you will need a special screwdriver for this, I believe the size is SD10, whatever that means)and then you will need to lift the tabs you had used earlier to remove the main housing as they have a notch that holds the circuit board in place. Again this is hard to explain but once you get to this step you will see what I mean.

6.) You will now be able to remove the face (the black part with the
buttons on it) form the circuit board and LCD screen.
Climate control unit-climate-control-unit-5.jpg

7.) You should be able to see the ribbon cable that goes from the board to the LCD screen. I disconnected the LCD from the ribbon cable at the LCD screen connector (I tried to remove it from the circuit board as well but it was stuck or it's not meant to come off either way I left it on) and cleaned the connections.
Climate control unit-climate-control-unit-7.jpg

8.) There is a white piece of plastic with rubber on the ends of it ( It looks similar to what appatula posted as a "zebra board" but mine looked a little different as it had small rubber pieces that came off the side and held onto the LCD screen.) It appeared to me that this was only used to locate and mount the screen. I made sure it was on there tight and then I put it all back together by reversing everything I just did. I made sure to tighten the star screws REAL well....

Immediately I noticed that my button action was WAY more crisp and I could clearly hear a loud CLICK every time I pushed a button.

So I went out to my car and put the climate control unit back in and .......
Old 06-30-2010, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IT WORKS!!!!!!
Climate control unit-climate-control-unit-8.jpg

Here is a pic of the radio removal keys I got for $10.50 from the dealership
Climate control unit-radio-removal-keys.jpg

Here is a pic (crappy I know) of the light bulb located on the under side of the unit
Climate control unit-climate-control-unit-bulb.jpg

Any of you guys have any questions let me know.... This was pretty easy and took about 30 minutes. We will see how long it lasts.....
Old 07-01-2010, 04:25 AM
Banned

IT WORKS!!!!!!
Attachment 186203

Here is a pic of the radio removal keys I got for $10.50 from the dealership
Attachment 186205

Here is a pic (crappy I know) of the light bulb located on the under side of the unit
Attachment 186204

Any of you guys have any questions let me know.... This was pretty easy and took about 30 minutes. We will see how long it lasts.....
hey Dr. Doogie Houser eh. I mean Mcgyver.
i like the write ups you make about your problems with your car.
BOM! BOM! BOM!
keep us posted how the homebrew remedy worked out.

eyes on the road and eyes on the lcd panel on n off!
hands ontop on the blanket!

so your tapedeck display is f----d up too?
it looks like a huge inkspot!
get your self another deck like the one I recommended you the APS 30 or something better!

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 07-01-2010 at 04:29 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Great write up! As I couldn't find the radio removal keys I have somewhere in a dark corner, I used one of the thicker feeler gages you use to adjust valve tappet clearances. Works great to push out the spring retainer even if you can't use them to pull out the unit. You have to prise out on of the sides then the other and disconnect the plug.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Climate control unit