C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Is it worth buying these rear Toe links?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Is it worth buying these rear Toe links?

Anyone use these 2gether with their rear camber arms from MB Arts?

http://mbartsperformance.com/MBA-202-ARTL.html

Is it worth buying toe link arms?

What kind of performance does improve on the car with these toe links?

It's alot of money, question is is it worth buying them?

I did put on my adjustable camber arms, but I notice a slight imperfection @ speeds from 140KM/H, don't know how much it is in miles, for instance when I overtake trucks, the airstream between my car and the truck makes my car feel like a snake, it feels like being pushed sideways, somehow there's an instability which I don't like!
Don't know how to explain it!
When a snake crawls on sand you see the circulation from the body of the snake, maybe this is a good explanation of how it feels when the wind pushes my car sideways.
I never noticed this when I had my solid factory camber arms, my car felt more solid with them.

I had my car for a 4 wheel align for perfect tire wear and put on 4 new tires from Continetal Sport contact 3.
@ normal speed there is no instability noticed but after 140 KM/H I can feel a slight instability, my mechanic told me the old style steering system on w124 and w202 makes these cars a bit unstable @ high speeds???
Is this true?
He also told me this is a construction flaw from factory and can not be fixed.

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 08-02-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
Originally Posted by kowalski
Anyone use these 2gether with their rear camber arms from MB Arts?

http://mbartsperformance.com/MBA-202-ARTL.html

Is it worth buying toe link arms?

What kind of performance does improve on the car with these toe links?

It's alot of money, question is is it worth buying them?

I did put on my adjustable camber arms, but I notice a slight imperfection @ speeds from 140KM/H, don't know how much it is in miles, for instance when I overtake trucks, the airstream between my car and the truck makes my car feel like a snake, it feels like being pushed sideways, somehow there's an instability which I don't like!
Don't know how to explain it!
When a snake crawls on sand you see the circulation from the body of the snake, maybe this is a good explanation of how it feels when the wind pushes my car sideways.
I never noticed this when I had my solid factory camber arms, my car felt more solid with them.

I had my car for a 4 wheel align for perfect tire wear and put on 4 new tires from Continetal Sport contact 3.
@ normal speed there is no instability noticed but after 140 KM/H I can feel a slight instability, my mechanic told me the old style steering system on w124 and w202 makes these cars a bit unstable @ high speeds???
Is this true?
He also told me this is a construction flaw from factory and can not be fixed.
I have the same camber arms as you but I do not feel the sensation you are describing.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
I have the camber arms and toe links, and do not experience any high speed instability.

I have ran triple digits for more than an hour at a time, and have 0 problems/instability.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
Man why did you have to show these to me !!!??!?!!?!? Somehow I have overlooked these as I have never seen them on the website and now I MUST HAVE THEM!!!

DAMN YOU DENIS
Old 08-02-2011, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
If I remember right, the factory toe arm is already adjustable - but with an eccentric bolt. The aftermarket bits will give more adjustment range I imagine. That said, if you put in a bunch more toe in or out than as called from the factory, you will wear the rear tires at a higher rate.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by justinwrock
I have the camber arms and toe links, and do not experience any high speed instability.

I have ran triple digits for more than an hour at a time, and have 0 problems/instability.
maybe it was windy that day, throwing my car sideways, at least what it felt like?
or maybe I have to get used to it it's a new 4 wheel align on my car including adjustable camber arms???
I bought new tires Continental Sportcontact 3, some of these tires are marked MO = Mercedes originals when being delivered to MB plant and the same tires from Conti SPC3 w/o MO stamp which I bought are made for the aftermarket.
I bought them cheaper versions w/o MO stamp.
Can this be the culprit for sensing instability @ higher speed?

Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
Man why did you have to show these to me !!!??!?!!?!? Somehow I have overlooked these as I have never seen them on the website and now I MUST HAVE THEM!!!

DAMN YOU DENIS
I'm sooooooooooooooooooo soooooooooorry you have to waste more money on your AMG.
Give me slap on the head.

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
If I remember right, the factory toe arm is already adjustable - but with an eccentric bolt. The aftermarket bits will give more adjustment range I imagine. That said, if you put in a bunch more toe in or out than as called from the factory, you will wear the rear tires at a higher rate.

Vincent are you saying if I use toe in links these will give more abnormal tire wear on my rear tires?
Is it better to stick with factory arms?

Are you sure about eccentric bolts being used for rear toe link arms?

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 08-03-2011 at 05:23 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
maybe it was windy that day, throwing my car sideways, at least what it felt like?
What Denis is forgetting it was a gale force 8 wind blowing and thought that a 43 should be stable It is normal for a car to wander when you have strong head or side wind, but doing a "snake dance", I've never heard that one before Was it a cobra, python or anaconda
Old 08-03-2011, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
Vincent are you saying if I use toe in links these will give more abnormal tire wear on my rear tires?
Is it better to stick with factory arms?

Are you sure about eccentric bolts being used for rear toe link arms?
I'm saying that the aftermarket toe links likely give much more adjustment than the factory pieces. If you adjust the toe very far outside the factory parameters, then you will more than likely get more tire wear.

After looking at the EPC again, I'm certain about the factory eccentric bolts for rear toe adjustment.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
What Denis is forgetting it was a gale force 8 wind blowing and thought that a 43 should be stable It is normal for a car to wander when you have strong head or side wind, but doing a "snake dance", I've never heard that one before Was it a cobra, python or anaconda

It felt like the car was wandering sideways, can't explain it better.
there is always an airstream in between when you overtake a large vehicle, it was when I passed the truck.

When you have a meeting with a truck comming @ you and it's a small road, sometimes you can notice the lift forces from the wind in between vehicles.

The snake was Marion Cobretti aka Cobra.
He's coming to bite you in da azz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c-G3s71FfE

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
I'm saying that the aftermarket toe links likely give much more adjustment than the factory pieces. If you adjust the toe very far outside the factory parameters, then you will more than likely get more tire wear.

After looking at the EPC again, I'm certain about the factory eccentric bolts for rear toe adjustment.
Ok thanx good to know
Old 08-03-2011, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
The Conti Sport 3s could be your problem.

I have them on my C and cannot wait to change them out to something stickier.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
Do you have a printout from the wheel alignment you can post?

How are the thrust arm bushes looking? (forward facing diagonal link on rear suspension).

Have you have the rose joint in the rear wheel carrier replaced in the last few yrs?

How level is the car sitting? Is it nose or tail down? (compairing the tail to fender gaps)

What size tyres are you using?

Forget your wheel alignment guy saying it's a flaw from factory, far from it. These cars were designed for high speed stability.

Last edited by Ausmbtech; 08-03-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55
When you meet a truck at speed on a narrow road, you will feel movment due to the ammout of air the large flat surface of the truck, it pushes a lot of air to one side. Will also be some affect even when passing a large truck going the same way as yourself.

Try it out on a motorway with little traffic.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by justinwrock
The Conti Sport 3s could be your problem.

I have them on my C and cannot wait to change them out to something stickier.
I thought Conti's were the best for MB?
They are originally fitted to AMG cars.
I like them although they were not MO stamped= Mercedes Original supplied
They are very quiet compared to my previous junk tires GY F1 GSD3 V-tread.
I hated the GY they were nasty on road noise, in Sweden our roads are made of noisy tarmac, killing your ears!
V tread tires suck hard on these roads!

Originally Posted by Ausmbtech
Do you have a printout from the wheel alignment you can post?

How are the thrust arm bushes looking? (forward facing diagonal link on rear suspension).

Have you have the rose joint in the rear wheel carrier replaced in the last few yrs?

How level is the car sitting? Is it nose or tail down? (compairing the tail to fender gaps)

What size tyres are you using?

Forget your wheel alignment guy saying it's a flaw from factory, far from it. These cars were designed for high speed stability.
I don't have the 4 wheel align sheet.
My friendly mekanik did the align at another trusted shop, I don't doubt him.
He set the camber to get perfect tire wear.

My car has only covered 98000KM, I have only replaced the rear camber arms on rear axle.
On front axle I have replaced: LCA, UCA, balljoints, swaybar bushes, steering damper,tie rod ends, spring pads #1=5mm.

Actually my car raised a tad with the new spring pad, WTF! = raised 1cm up front than before with old spring pad.
Original wheel gap height was 3 cm upfront with old spring pads, now it is 4 cm high with new front spring pads.
Rear wheel gap is 4 cm gap with old pads.
Now my car sits more even level than before when the front was lower and the rear a tad higher.
Before with old spring pad it was a 1½ half finger gap, now it's a 2 finger gap.
And the rear arches are 2 finger gap but with old spring pads, my mekanik didn't change rear pads he said it would have screwed up the stance.

What's a rose joint on the rear wheel carrier?
What does it look like?
Do you have a parts number?

I use 225/40/18 front and rear 255/35/18 Continental Sport Contact 3

My mekanik told me these cars w124 and w202 use the old style steering is it rack and pinion or the other name recurcating ball can't remember the exact name, he said that with MB old style steering these cars are not 100% ok when it's windy outside if you drive on a tall bridge and it's blowing a strong wind from the side of the car, these cars are sensitive to side winds making the car wander from left to right like tramlining.

Originally Posted by cherokee94nz
When you meet a truck at speed on a narrow road, you will feel movment due to the ammout of air the large flat surface of the truck, it pushes a lot of air to one side. Will also be some affect even when passing a large truck going the same way as yourself.

Try it out on a motorway with little traffic.
I will test my car with less traffic on the road and see if I notice anything.
Maybe I only have a vivid imagination about the after mod instability?

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 08-04-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:09 AM

C43
I thought Conti's were the best for MB?
They are originally fitted to AMG cars.
I like them although they were not MO stamped= Mercedes Original
Contis are a good tire, but i would recomend sport contact 5 for AMG cars. they are a bit softer than 3...

What's a rose joint on the rear wheel carrier?
What does it look like?
Do you have a parts number?
I think he means these

number 8 on the picture
A2203520227

Last edited by d5vikast; 08-04-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by d5vikast
Contis are a good tire, but i would recomend sport contact 5 for AMG cars. they are a bit softer than 3...

I think he means these

number 8 on the picture
A2203520227
small punk bushing No.8 can it cause any instability?
my car is a low mileage C43, how can a bushing wear out less than 100.000KM?

tjena mannen, det var en liten bussning numero 8.
kan den göra att bilen beter sig konstigt?
var har du bilder på C43an?
Old 08-04-2011, 02:45 PM

C43
Yes, if it is very poor the wheel can move in and out (a little hard to explain), but this bush is also called squeak bush, becuse it sounds when it starts to weaken and you run over a speed bump so that should you have noticed.
Rubber is not forever, it dries out ...

tja!
Ja om den är väldigt dålig så kan hjulet röra sig in och ut (lite svårt att förklara) men denna bussning kallas även knarr bussning då det låter om den när den börjar bli dålig och du kör över ett fartgupp så det borde du märkt.
gummi håller inte för alltid, det torkar ut...

bilder kommer i morgon kväll... måste tvätta den och hitta en snygg plats att knäppa kortet på=)
Old 08-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by d5vikast
Yes, if it is very poor the wheel can move in and out (a little hard to explain), but this bush is also called squeak bush, becuse it sounds when it starts to weaken and you run over a speed bump so that should you have noticed.
Rubber is not forever, it dries out ...

tja!
Ja om den är väldigt dålig så kan hjulet röra sig in och ut (lite svårt att förklara) men denna bussning kallas även knarr bussning då det låter om den när den börjar bli dålig och du kör över ett fartgupp så det borde du märkt.
gummi håller inte för alltid, det torkar ut...

bilder kommer i morgon kväll... måste tvätta den och hitta en snygg plats att knäppa kortet på=)
My car doesn't squeek or make any noises at all when mounting a speed bump, she's a tight and quiet little bit-h
I don't have any issues besides that corny feeling if I speed up and it feels like my car is a bit unstable after I had my adjustable camber arms installed?
I have to test drive a bit more in various weather conditions

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 08-04-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:29 PM

There is another option. This is not mine, but was originally posted by 202brabus on another forum. If there is no objection, here is the post in full:

Originally Posted by 202brabus
Save money by making your own with the help of a member on another forum

www.speedwaymotors.com
Parts list:
QTY:2 91008001-STR Forged Steel-4 Bar End - 11 Degree Shank
$12.99 $25.98
STYLE: Str

QTY:2 91008002 Forged Steel 4-Bar End - Straight Shank/LH Thread
$14.99 $29.98

QTY:2 1750246 Jam Nut 5/8 Inch RH Raw
$0.99 $1.98

QTY:2 1750446 Jam Nut 5/8" LH Raw
$0.99 $1.98

Make sure to get 9" long links maximum, 10" is too long.
2 91034158-9 ALUMINUM TIE ROD SLEEVE, 5/8"
$7.99 $15.98
LENGTH: 9

Current Charge Summary
Sub Total: $75.90

Add another $10 or so for shipping. Not too shabby, just saved $200.
Then go to the hardware store and get eight thin 7/16" inner diameter fender washers for the sides of the nylon bushings to have a nice smooth plated surface to slide on. Use some petroleum jelly on the nylon bushings in the bore that slides on the center sleeve, and on the sides against the washers, so far they work great, no squeaking or anything, and the suspension feels nice and smooth.

You can use the stock bolts, inboard and outboard, and kept the stock safety retaining washer on the end outside of the fender washer and rod end sandwich on the outboard end, so that the new fender washer stays nice and flat.

202brabus
Old 08-05-2011, 06:52 AM
Banned

nhmercracer

Yeah, I red that thread on Club202.com, make your own camber arms.
Although they might not be so safe in long turn longetivity?
What ya think?
Old 08-06-2011, 01:48 AM

Hi Kowalski,

I think those are as good, or better than anything you can buy already assembled. The ends pictured are forged. I believe the bushings are Nylon. The manufacturer states no lubricant is necessary. I plan to use a synthetic polymer grease on the bushing pivot bushings. As long as the jam nuts are tight, you should not have an issue. This is the setup I will use when I get my springs.

Last edited by nhmercracer; 08-06-2011 at 01:57 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nhmercracer
Hi Kowalski,

I think those are as good, or better than anything you can buy already assembled. The ends pictured are forged. I believe the bushings are Nylon. The manufacturer states no lubricant is necessary. I plan to use a synthetic polymer grease on the bushing pivot bushings. As long as the jam nuts are tight, you should not have an issue. This is the setup I will use when I get my springs.
thanks for the input buddy
I might try these soon
Old 08-06-2011, 08:45 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
W210 DRFT BNZ
Was going to say: How are so many people comfortable putting crappy ball joints into their camber arms.

I did the 202brabus method described above and have my own pictures to show:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jumph4x...57623222462932
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jumph4x...7623222462932/

This is a much better approach. The longevity cannot compare, not to mention that the comfort levels and vibration will be preserved for decades.

Metal ball joints shown in the original product are a racing style design and wear way quick, causing noise issues way too soon. A number of people with imports I knew used them with the above results.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jumph4x
Was going to say: How are so many people comfortable putting crappy ball joints into their camber arms.

I did the 202brabus method described above and have my own pictures to show:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jumph4x...57623222462932
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jumph4x...7623222462932/

This is a much better approach. The longevity cannot compare, not to mention that the comfort levels and vibration will be preserved for decades.

Metal ball joints shown in the original product are a racing style design and wear way quick, causing noise issues way too soon. A number of people with imports I knew used them with the above results.
you're saying MB Arts metal ball joints are less good compared to balljoints you have on your car?
I have no issues about squeeks or other noises.

I was out driving last night 3 AM in the morning, I did some high speed driving up to 170 KM/H a little less than 120 miles/hr I felt no weird behaviour driving straight line my car didn't give me any tramline feelings.
I have to do some high speed overtaking to see if this really happens or it only was a missunderstanding?
Old 08-07-2011, 05:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Rose joints are very track and race related. They will probably wear out faster than the ones with rubber bushings, specially if used in rain, winter, etc.. The rubber bushing type should be more than sufficient for "normal" road use and have the advantage of fine tuning the camber settings. Also the rose joints will transmit more noise and vibration to the chassis.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
Rose joints are very track and race related. They will probably wear out faster than the ones with rubber bushings, specially if used in rain, winter, etc.. The rubber bushing type should be more than sufficient for "normal" road use and have the advantage of fine tuning the camber settings. Also the rose joints will transmit more noise and vibration to the chassis.
why is seller from MB Arts using rose joints if they are inferior to above full rubber joints?

DRBC43AMG when you bought your camber arms from SpeedyB... you have the same rosejoints I have on my MBArts camber arms?

I only use my car for normal driving conditions, these rosejoints must last longer?
A little Jekyll n' Hyde driving on and off, but that's nothing.
What ya think?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it worth buying these rear Toe links?