C36 twin turbo engine question ..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL63, S400
C36 twin turbo engine question ..

Hello,

A local seller to me has this engine available for sale. He says it came out of a salvage C36. He mentioned the turbo kit was from Holland. Does anyone know who possibly made a twin turbo kit for the C36 way back, particularly if the manufctr. was in the Netherlands. Thanks in advance~!

Old 08-11-2012, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by m41a1
Hello,

A local seller to me has this engine available for sale. He says it came out of a salvage C36. He mentioned the turbo kit was from Holland. Does anyone know who possibly made a twin turbo kit for the C36 way back, particularly if the manufctr. was in the Netherlands. Thanks in advance~!

Original kits were built by Mosselamann when ***** Mosselmann owned the company.
They built kits for the M103-12V and M104-24V which the C36 is.
Boost was about 6-7 psi and enrichment controlled by a Mosselmann piggy back unit.
If the piggy back unit is not available with the motor then you'll need to resolve the enrichment control.

Company has changed hands years ago but considering once again building the "classic" kits if there is demand.

http://mosselmanturbo.com/bmw-merced...osselman-kits/

Ed A.

Last edited by RBYCC; 08-11-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:43 PM

CL63, S400
Original kits were built by Mosselamann when ***** Mosselmann owned the company.
They built kits for the M103-12V and M104-24V which the C36 is.
Boost was about 6-7 psi and enrichment controlled by a Mosselmann piggy back unit.
If the piggy back unit is not available with the motor then you'll need to resolve the enrichment control.

Company has changed hands years ago but considering once again building the "classic" kits if there is demand.

http://mosselmanturbo.com/bmw-merced...osselman-kits/
Hi, thanks for the link. I look at the page and surfed around the site and only saw turbos, intercooler, and piping. Do you know if this manufacturer sold kits with forged pistons and rods for turbo conversion ?

Because my seller knows nothing about the history of the salvage vehicle in that the motor comes w/o wiring or ECU .. we don't know what mods the engine had such as piston and rods for turbo conversion. Or whether it was just a straight bolt on of turbos and manifold.

The only thing we know is that the conversion cost about USD 10,000 originally, if that is an indication of the "stage" of modification.

I may stay away from this motor if latter was the case. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
I believe the 36 came with full forged internals.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:22 PM

CL63, S400
Oh, I think you're right. Thanks much. Think I will trade up with my stock motor for this unit. Thanks~1
Old 08-11-2012, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Looks like a monster. What is the rated output?
Old 08-11-2012, 09:45 PM

CL63, S400
No one knows ATM. I guess I will be the first to verify.

The motor comes with what you see plus the L/down pipes which hooks up to the standard AMG at the resonator/catalyst.

It does not have wiring harness or ECU, so mine will have to do.

The original piggy back unit is MIA. I will likely have to go with a Greddy Gold unit or similar then get a custom map written. At that point, we will run it on the dyno to find out.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Hi, thanks for the link. I look at the page and surfed around the site and only saw turbos, intercooler, and piping. Do you know if this manufacturer sold kits with forged pistons and rods for turbo conversion ?

Because my seller knows nothing about the history of the salvage vehicle in that the motor comes w/o wiring or ECU .. we don't know what mods the engine had such as piston and rods for turbo conversion. Or whether it was just a straight bolt on of turbos and manifold.

The only thing we know is that the conversion cost about USD 10,000 originally, if that is an indication of the "stage" of modification.

I may stay away from this motor if latter was the case. Thanks in advance!

There were two main manufacturers of twin turbo kits for the M103/M104 in the late eighties-early nineties..Mosselmann which used a piggy back fuel enrichment control and TurboTechnics which used a stand alone control firing additional injectors.

$10K is about correct and it was a straight bolt-on.
The TurboTechnics kit was commissioned by Hughes of Beaconsfield, a main U.K. Merc dealer, that installed the kits on new delivery 124's and gave a one year warranty. It was the dealers way to compete with AMG.
Hughes probably did about fifty installations with most in the U.K. achieving 150K miles without any problems.

Both kits used the stock internals but recommended lowering compression on the 10+:1 engines.

At .5bar boost the stock internals easily handle the power increase of the twin turbos.

I purchased one of the remaining new old stock TurboTechnics kits from Hughes in 2007.
Kit was installed by Willow Automotive in Chicago.
The owner of Willow was the main USA installer for Mosselmann in the 80's-90's.

Running .5bar boost will double the stock power at the rear wheels and the engine will be very reliable providing you can maintain about 11.5AFR under boost.
Lean mixture is the primary cause of turbo engines coming apart quickly due to detonation.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:18 PM

CL63, S400
Originally Posted by RBYCC
There were two main manufacturers of twin turbo kits for the M103/M104 in the late eighties-early nineties..Mosselmann which used a piggy back fuel enrichment control and TurboTechnics which used a stand alone control firing additional injectors.

$10K is about correct and it was a straight bolt-on.
The TurboTechnics kit was commissioned by Hughes of Beaconsfield, a main U.K. Merc dealer, that installed the kits on new delivery 124's and gave a one year warranty. It was the dealers way to compete with AMG.
Hughes probably did about fifty installations with most in the U.K. achieving 150K miles without any problems.

Both kits used the stock internals but recommended lowering compression on the 10+:1 engines.

At .5bar boost the stock internals easily handle the power increase of the twin turbos.

I purchased one of the remaining new old stock TurboTechnics kits from Hughes in 2007.
Kit was installed by Willow Automotive in Chicago.
The owner of Willow was the main USA installer for Mosselmann in the 80's-90's.

Running .5bar boost will double the stock power at the rear wheels and the engine will be very reliable providing you can maintain about 11.5AFR under boost.
Lean mixture is the primary cause of turbo engines coming apart quickly due to detonation.
Thanks, buddy~! That's valuable info. given the non-existing history of this old unit.

The unit came from a salvage RHD C36 in Japan. So it wouldn't surprise me if it were installed in the UK. I don't know what happened to the piggy back unit for it would be not that useful to a non-turbo car.

It looks like the turbos have internal waste gate, so the boost pressure should be set by the springs used, correct ? I wouldn't up the boost in any event, on account that even it there is minimal HP gain from low boost, this engine has to push close to 400HP, making it more powerful than C43 or C55. A man has to be satisfy with that.

I wonder though - does the AMG front bumper allow enough space for a nice front mounted intercooler ? Or, would I have to go with an under-the-hood cooling unit ? Possibly air-water unit ?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carlsson CM60 EX:C36AMG'96
Thanks, buddy~! That's valuable info. given the non-existing history of this old unit.

The unit came from a salvage RHD C36 in Japan. So it wouldn't surprise me if it were installed in the UK. I don't know what happened to the piggy back unit for it would be not that useful to a non-turbo car.

It looks like the turbos have internal waste gate, so the boost pressure should be set by the springs used, correct ? I wouldn't up the boost in any event, on account that even it there is minimal HP gain from low boost, this engine has to push close to 400HP, making it more powerful than C43 or C55. A man has to be satisfy with that.

I wonder though - does the AMG front bumper allow enough space for a nice front mounted intercooler ? Or, would I have to go with an under-the-hood cooling unit ? Possibly air-water unit ?

it's hard to tell what kit this is there was a 500+hp kit back them, that carzyyyy I'll post some pics of the 500+kit

the engine we are looking at here should be atleast 350/400hp I assume it's the mosselman kit. nice found a beast to drive
Attached Thumbnails C36 twin turbo engine question ..-c36t2-448-x-600-.jpg   C36 twin turbo engine question ..-c36t5-429-x-600-.jpg  
Old 08-12-2012, 05:09 AM

CL63, S400
If I had to guess - 420hp (basing on a 50% increase). It's a used engine and aged, so who knows. We will find out once installed and dyno'ed.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think there may have been a controller for sale on another forum, maybe Peachparts?

I recall Mosselman used KKK K-16 with internal waste gate. Boost can be adjusted by changing the stroke of the threaded wastegate arm. The TurboTechnice used a similar design Garrett T2.
At 7PSI boost you'll more the match the numbers of a C55 and probably run faster.
My M103-12V TT at 7psi will run low five second 0-60's with not the best of traction !!

Good question..Mosselman used a top mounted intercooler which was not that efficient. TurboTechnics used a right side lower chassis rail mounted unit in a fiberglass duct plenum. Not sure..air-water may be best.
Also consider an inexpensive water/methanol injection which will preclude any detonation under boost and make more power due to a much colder discharge air temp.

Pix of a slightly modified Mosselman install, a stock install, my Turbotechnics install...
Attached Thumbnails C36 twin turbo engine question ..-mosselmanm104-1.jpg   C36 twin turbo engine question ..-mosselmanm104-2.jpg   C36 twin turbo engine question ..-ttcm23.jpg  
Old 08-13-2012, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by w202mylove
it's hard to tell what kit this is there was a 500+hp kit back them, that carzyyyy I'll post some pics of the 500+kit

the engine we are looking at here should be atleast 350/400hp I assume it's the mosselman kit. nice found a beast to drive
I personally know the guy that purchased and owns that black TT C36. He lives in NY.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by ProjectC55
I personally know the guy that purchased and owns that black TT C36. He lives in NY.
nice so he still has it after all those years? must be an insane car lol
Old 08-13-2012, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by w202mylove
nice so he still has it after all those years? must be an insane car lol
After many blown head gaskets he is now using a stroked 3.2 engine(using 3.6L crank) which now is a 3.5 because the cylinder walls on the 3.6 are too close to each other when you look at the top of the block. If he went for like say 15 psi boost he would always blow head gaskets.
There is not alot of meat between cylinders. Our other friend with a TT36 is having that same exact problem. Ideally if they were able to find the MB turbo diesel straight six block that would be perfect but its hard to find.

Both motors now have rods and pistons the one we are talking about in the article now has one huge monster turbo,3.5L built bottom end,the original standalone,front mount intercooler,custom built exh mani,custom exh,black-series front calipers(6piston I believe but huge),all in a silver body C36 now because he totaled the original and swapped everything out. The car is built 100x better than the original turbo setup. Believe it puts out over 550 plus whp@ 15+psi. Kind of reminds me of a supra the way it sounds.

The car is a beast. If he allows I will take pics of the engine bay.

V12godspeed may have pics of the motors of both C36's pm him. The owner of the Turbo C36 is the same guy who dropped the TTV12 in his W211E55 article right here about v12 godspeed car click below on link:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/373559-ev12.html

This V12 E55 is a complete beast we were all together last week.

He also put the 5.5L in my car and another members C43.

In another member here he put an SLK32 motor in his W203 C320.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 08-13-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by ProjectC55
After many blown head gaskets he is now using a stroked 3.2 engine(using 3.6L crank) which now is a 3.5 because the cylinder walls on the 3.6 are too close to each other when you look at the top of the block. If he went for like say 15 psi boost he would always blow head gaskets.
There is not alot of meat between cylinders. Our other friend with a TT36 is having that same exact problem. Ideally if they were able to find the MB turbo diesel straight six block that would be perfect but its hard to find.

Both motors now have rods and pistons the one we are talking about in the article now has one huge monster turbo,3.5L built bottom end,the original standalone,front mount intercooler,custom built exh mani,custom exh,black-series front calipers(6piston I believe but huge),all in a silver body C36 now because he totaled the original and swapped everything out. The car is built 100x better than the original turbo setup. Believe it puts out over 550 plus whp@ 15+psi. Kind of reminds me of a supra the way it sounds.

The car is a beast. If he allows I will take pics of the engine bay.
thanks for this, would be nice to see some pics. the blown headgaskets seems quite logical as you explained.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:53 AM

CL63, S400
Yes I would like to see some photos of C36 turbo customs too to get some ideas. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2012, 11:43 AM

CL63, S400
Also, to run high boost pressure, I'd imagine it would be wise to replace the stock C36 pistons with a compression ratio lowering forged set (from CP or one of the better known brands, or custom made ?) and stronger head bolts. I would think in order to run 15 pounds of boost, one best lower the c/r to something like 8.5:1 or lower, larger injectors, better fuel pump, install some very large frontal air/air intercooler, or air/water intercooler, plus custom mapping the ECU's piggy back unit.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Also, to run high boost pressure, I'd imagine it would be wise to replace the stock C36 pistons with a compression ratio lowering forged set (from CP or one of the better known brands, or custom made ?) and stronger head bolts. I would think in order to run 15 pounds of boost, one best lower the c/r to something like 8.5:1 or lower, larger injectors, better fuel pump, install some very large frontal air/air intercooler, or air/water intercooler, plus custom mapping the ECU's piggy back unit.
You described exactly what he did forged CP pistons and all!