C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Need Help! - EGR tube re-assembly problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 Mercedes C36 AMG
Thumbs up Problem Solved: Will write-up later: Need Help! - EGR tube re-assembly problem

Trying to solve the ol' Check Engine P0400 code - I jumped into two common DIY fixes I've crawled sites to research: replace dried/cracked vacuum tubes under engine cover and clean EGR tube. I'll provide a complete write-up when I solve the issue at hand:

Upon disconnecting my EGR tube from the top and lower and cleaning. NOTE: I could not get the one hex bolt by the oil filter loose because of angles/blockage by manifold, filter, etc. with Alan wrench or extension. I'm left with being unable to get the lower tube back into the intake hole. It's under tension and needs to be angled in a way I just cannot seem to achieve from top, front or bottom. Anyone out there who experienced and solve this?

This morning I got up and gave it a fresh go. I removed the oil filter, so I could remove the 5th hex retaining bolt and keep the vacuum end disconnected. This gave me enough movement to get the intake end back into the block and reduced the tension so I could squeeze together and start bolts. It's a PIA. I'll write-up my method, tools and contortions soon.

Feel pretty good about this DIY fix. Too soon to know if it solves the P0400 code or Check Engine. Will post after a couple drives.

Thanks!

CigarXO

Last edited by CigarXO; 03-10-2014 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Problem Solved.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:48 PM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CigarXO
Trying to solve the ol' Check Engine P0400 code - I jumped into two common DIY fixes I've crawled sites to research: replace dried/cracked vacuum tubes under engine cover and clean EGR tube. I'll provide a complete write-up when I solve the issue at hand:

Upon disconnecting my EGR tube from the top and lower and cleaning. NOTE: I could not get the one hex bolt by the oil filter loose because of angles/blockage by manifold, filter, etc. with Alan wrench or extension. I'm left with being unable to get the lower tube back into the intake hole. It's under tension and needs to be angled in a way I just cannot seem to achieve from top, front or bottom. Anyone out there who experienced and solve this?

Thanks in advance!

CigarXO
Sorry to hear about this, I hope you figure it out! This sounds to be a pia job!!

Was your tube clogged up? I also have a '95 w/ 135k miles that I think will need a clean soon.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:11 PM

1995 Mercedes C36 AMG
Yes RPB. I'll pull the "need help" for now and write-up the repair soon. Too soon to know if it solved by P0400 Check Engine code.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:13 AM

1995 Mercedes C36 AMG
It's been a month since I cleaned the EGR tube and my Engine Check light nor my P0400 code has returned. It was a PIA job and I still owe some pics - but I think it's the cause of many high mileage cars.