Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 93 Posts
c43
Anybody Had This Problem

I bought two keys from dealer.
Both didn't work at first.
We left each one in the ignition over night.
After that only one of then started working. The other did not, took it back and dealer said they would order another one.

Next day the new key came in and it didn't work either...

Im in chicago, is it possible to get a new key that fast? I have a feeling they gave me my old one back. They asked me to leave the old one so now I'm wondering if they just handed me the old one...

Any ideas what i could do to make the car recognize the key?
Old 06-30-2014, 11:52 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 5.4, ML320CDI, Fords
There are two ways they can order a key. Either get a "replacement" or an "additional". If they get a replacement, that is when you need to leave it sit in the ignition for up to 90 minutes. Most of the parts people, at least mine, don't understand how this works even. I won't get into what the differences are it's too complicated for here.
It is possible to get keys overnight, they do all the key orders in TX and we overnight all the time if the order is in early enough.

I can't say exactly what you have without looking at the car and seeing what was ordered exactly. If you have 8 keys on one track then a replacement is necessary for sure.

Did you let the new key sit in ignition for 90 minutes?
Old 06-30-2014, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c43
Thanks for your reply.
I left the key overnight in the ignition.
It still didn't work.

Does the car have to be unlocked and have the key in? I put the bad key in and than i used the good key to lock the doors. I don't have a garage.

Also i bought the two keys as a replacement because the one that came with the car got messed up. The key that works at first the car didnt read it. I left the key overnight and it worked. I forgot if i locked the doors or not...

Btw, the dealer sales guy say he wont order another key because he thinks its the cars problem. They want to charge mr 120.00 to diagnose the car. I told him no way, the other key works fine there's nothing wrong with the car.

Deep inside i think he never ordered another key. I should have kept or marked the bad key to make sure i get a new one.

Is there a way for him to proof to me he actually ordered one?
Old 06-30-2014, 03:12 PM

C43 5.4, ML320CDI, Fords
I've never tried to lock the doors, I don't think that would matter though.

Replacement vs. additional, that is all just terminology used. There are different ways they can order a key.. in the customer's eyes they're all replacements but if you know how their key system worked it would make more sense. Either way leaving the key in should get it going no matter which way it was ordered.

The parts manager could show you the order I suppose, it would show their seperate order for the second time.

Without having my tester on it I cannot tell you anything for sure if it's the key or the car. You're right it is probably not the car, but the car can only have 8 keys on one track. Once there is 8 then a new track must be started. This doesn't make sense to you but I'm just saying it's not all black and white.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c43
Can the track be reset?
Old 06-30-2014, 04:34 PM

C43 5.4, ML320CDI, Fords
You can start a new one. 3 possible tracks with 8 keys each. I believe when parts dept orders keys it will get flagged if it's exceeded the 8 key limit.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C36 AMG
Angry

HELLO MATE,
I'M IN THE UK, AND WHEN I NEEDED A NEW KEY ,THE LOCAL MAIN DEALER
HAD TO ORDER IT IN FROM GERMANY, IT TOOK THREE DAYS, AND IT COST ME £225
Old 07-20-2014, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c43
speed431
Originally Posted by FOGLIGHT
HELLO MATE,
I'M IN THE UK, AND WHEN I NEEDED A NEW KEY ,THE LOCAL MAIN DEALER
HAD TO ORDER IT IN FROM GERMANY, IT TOOK THREE DAYS, AND IT COST ME £225
Thats what the first dealer told me as well. But this second dealer said he ordered it from texas.