C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Intake manifold and Wiring Harness removal???

Old 08-28-2014, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 Mercedes C36 AMG
Question Intake manifold and Wiring Harness removal???

In the middle of replacing my head gasket. After several PITA situations common to these vehicles - too much engine & accessories in too little space - I'm close to pulling my cylinder head.

I went the route of leaving the intake and exhaust manifolds attached because on top of everything else, I didn't want to deal with vacuum and fuel lines. Most write-ups warn about the condition of the wiring harness - mine has been replaced and good - but, then only mention pulling a few leads and throwing the harness to the side. My harness is intertwined with the intake manifold tubes in at least 5 places.
1. I disconnected the main line and vacuum tubes at the ignition fuse box on the passenger side.
2. I disconnected cylinder plugs and wiring.
3. I disconnected terminal wires/switches at water pump end.

There are still 3-4 12guage leads to sending units or bolts on the engine block which are almost inaccessible with manifold & fuel system over them. Each is either a grand PITA or I'm approaching them wrong.... Any advice?

Should I just cut and patch?
Thought this may be a good idea and I'd improve by running longer lines with disconnects around the manifold upon reinstallation.

Thanks -
Cigar XO
Old 08-28-2014, 08:39 PM

96 C36 99 C230k Modded
Those wires are for your 2 knock sensors and your oil level sensor. The bad part is you will have to loosen the tranny cooler line from the pan to get that connector free. Also the rear knock sensor is a pain. You may have trouble getting the head on with the intake and lining it up while holding the head. Good luck!
Old 08-28-2014, 08:59 PM

1995 Mercedes C36 AMG
Thanks Mike51809.
Now that you helped me identify them - how do I get them off?
For me, the oil level sensor is blocked by the starter selenoid. I can get 3/4 turn from underneath.
The knock sensors - I can get a 13mm socket on them, but not enough room to torque to break free.

Returning to the idea of just cutting.

I may remove manifolds once out of the car to replace gaskets and as you hint - make for easier install/alignment.