C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Where can I buy 18-2 heat resistant electrical wire for under hood?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 Mercedes C36 AMG
Question Where can I buy 18-2 heat resistant electrical wire for under hood?

Members -
To remove my C36 M104 cylinder head with intake and exhaust manifolds attached, I cut the signal wires to the two knock sending units and the oil level indicator because they were strung through the intake manifold in 3 places and I couldn't access them to disconnect and therefore couldn't remove cylinder head. I figured I'd re-wire them better than original with longer connections around the manifold upon reassembly -- and I'm an idiot who didn't know these were two strands for signal sender, but thought it was one 12 gauge or so.

Now I need insulated, 2 stranded wires to piece them back together. Its approx. 18-20gauge with a thick rubber wrapping. I'd prefer to not start stringing 6 separate wires.

I cannot find similar wire anywhere. AutoZone, HomeDepot, online ... Help

Thx - CigarXO
Old 09-08-2014, 12:29 AM

'97 c36
Can you post a picture of the wire you cut so we can compare? Some times a trip to the bone yard will land you some speciality wire.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:06 AM

1995 Mercedes C36 AMG
Super B -
I'll try, but I doubt I get the resolution to see the copper strands in the two individual wrapped wires (lead and ground of 18-22gauge) inside the thick rubber liner - thicker than standard primary wire. The outside diameter is that of 10-12 gauge so I just assumed...

It is the yellow/black, purple/black, all black wires from the wiring harness strung across the top of the intake manifold, then branching each between a separate manifold tube to the knock sending units on the block and the oil level sending unit.

Good idea about the pick-n-pull.

Really surprised this isn't more accessible - common?

PS: This is a new/replaced wiring harness. I had the bio-degradable one replaced several years ago. I have found the knock wiring harness with sending units online but I don't need that expense. Another one of those PIAs holding up progress...

One of three sending unit wires bound to wiring harness across and then through intake manifold so that removing the manifold without removing the wiring harness was impossible. Unable to access the knock signal location or unscrew the oil level signal wire, I cut them with the intent of re-routing around manifold when reassembled. Now I cannot find heat resistant, 2x 18 gauge wire.

You can observe here the extra thick rubber wrapper around two wires - the larger the signal and the smaller the ground - going to the signal units. I don't want to string multiple small gauge wires around my engine.

Last edited by CigarXO; 09-08-2014 at 11:31 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 09-11-2014, 11:40 PM

1995 Mercedes C36 AMG
Smile My solution for 18-2 heat resistant wire

Found some mobile equipment, rated, insulated 18-2 wire at a different HomeDepot outlet that I think will work.

This allowed me on re-assembly of my intake manifold as part of a head gasket job to run the wires around the manifold, not through different pipes. Now I don't need to remove the knock or oil level signal wires which are nearly impossible to access.