C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Switching teams for the weekend...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
Originally Posted by PJmak
Amen. A manual trans will make a camry fun to drive

And even though it was a nice write up this is exactly what was ignored here. With an auto trans there wont be any of that instant throttle response in this thread unless wer talking about the good old 43
But that is exactly the point. BMW gave the customer the choice. Mercedes did not. That is a point for BMW. And before anyone goes on and on about tradition and Mercedes doesn't offer manuals, etc, I have personally seen an early 80's 560SEC AMG from Rick Hendrick's personal collection that has a manual transmission. The 190E Cossie's were offered with both manual and auto transmissions. The 300SL Gullwing had a four speed manual. The 'auto is better' philosophy of Mercedes, especially in regards to their performance cars, didn't come about until the early 90's and has lasted until the last few years as they have started transitioning over to dual clutch transmissions.

And as I said earlier, limiting the M3 to an auto four door is like limiting the Mercedes to a C280 Sport because BMW did not offer a V8 in the 3 series. Both companies had the options to bring whatever they wanted to market and they did and any comparison between the two is absolutely fair.

And finally, if a manual transmission Camry is fun to drive, would you trade your C43 for one? Perhaps it makes it more engaging, but I don't think it necessarily makes it fun. I think driving a 6 speed manual Jeep Wrangler is miserable and I've driven quite a few of those. The immediacy of the response in this car was beyond just the throttle; it was the brakes, the steering, etc.

So no, I don't think anything was ignored. If you read the whole thing, it was addressed.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:45 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
99 c43,90 mustang gt supercharged convertible,07 acura tl type s, Hummer H3t pickup
Originally Posted by ECTurboGSX
But that is exactly the point. BMW gave the customer the choice. Mercedes did not. That is a point for BMW. And before anyone goes on and on about tradition and Mercedes doesn't offer manuals, etc, I have personally seen an early 80's 560SEC AMG from Rick Hendrick's personal collection that has a manual transmission. The 190E Cossie's were offered with both manual and auto transmissions. The 300SL Gullwing had a four speed manual. The 'auto is better' philosophy of Mercedes, especially in regards to their performance cars, didn't come about until the early 90's and has lasted until the last few years as they have started transitioning over to dual clutch transmissions.

And as I said earlier, limiting the M3 to an auto four door is like limiting the Mercedes to a C280 Sport because BMW did not offer a V8 in the 3 series. Both companies had the options to bring whatever they wanted to market and they did and any comparison between the two is absolutely fair.

And finally, if a manual transmission Camry is fun to drive, would you trade your C43 for one? Perhaps it makes it more engaging, but I don't think it necessarily makes it fun. I think driving a 6 speed manual Jeep Wrangler is miserable and I've driven quite a few of those. The immediacy of the response in this car was beyond just the throttle; it was the brakes, the steering, etc.

So no, I don't think anything was ignored. If you read the whole thing, it was addressed.