C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Help! Possible Mercedes convert!! Subaru WRX vs. C43AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subaru WRX
Originally Posted by PJmak
The stock sound system has more than anough kick. You can actually hear the bass from the outside the car
That's what I like to here! Unfortunately, we've just received our first snow here in Mountain Home, Idaho. I guess that means I'll keep the WRX for one last winter!
Old 11-14-2014, 01:10 PM

Subaru WRX
Alright gentleman, I've come to a problem. While spiritedly driving about an empty lot in the snow yesterday, i slid into a curb, quite literally shattering a piece of my rim off. Nobody would happen to have a cheap set of WRX wheels I could snag would they? :
Old 11-15-2014, 01:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
99 C43 AMG, 2001 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by MarshmanGabriel
I'd like to keep it stock looking as possible.. maybe there's an aftermarket radio for that? How do the speakers themselves sound? Bass, volume, distortion? Thank you so much for all your help everyone! I can't wait to be an official member.
the bose audio system is decent overall. at low volumes it has ZERO bass, and i mean zero... its all highs and a bit of midrange, im not a fan of overpowering bass, i like balanced sound as it was recorded.... but if you get to about half volume the sound balances out VERY nicely. no distortion that i could tell, ive never completely blasted it but at loud levels it sounds real good.

I bought a sony head unit to replace stock with the usb port and bluetooth. I wanted to keep a semi-stock look to so i made sure to get a head unit that had the adjustable color display so i can set it to match the amber lights in the rest of the IP, so looks pretty good. you can get radios that are made to recreate the older design from that time period but they are way too expensive in my opinion, nakamichi also makes really clead head units but non of them had the color adjustment when i checked. i kept the stock radio though just in case.

i keep thinking about adding a single 10" sub in the trunk, nothing crazy, maybe 200 watts or so. i think it would be perfect then but i dont drive the car much an when i do its mostly racing so it really doesn't make sense for me to do that. maybe when i get the next car that is better for racing and retire the C43 to leisure driving

and yes the C43 is an awesome car. if you want speed yea go buy a cheap WRX or 4th gen camaro, or c5 vette, throw $4k in mods and have the same 12 second car that 10,000 other people have and then have it breaking down all the time a few years later... I know because i did that with a 4th gen F-body. when i bought the C43 i was also considering a C32, but nothing beats the classic 3 box sedan german design of the C43, and it doesnt have a huge performance aftermarket so i knew that would stop me from modding the crap out of it and ruining an almost perfect car. C43 is the way to go if you can find one in really good shape. i will keep mine forever... though i kinda want a 2006 C55 now too
Old 11-15-2014, 11:13 AM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2004 E55
I'm with Dziner, the Bose audio is just decent for me. Especially as I'm sitting here listening in my 43. I've never had an unbelievable setup in my cars, but I have had component setups using Focal & Rainbow equipment & JL subs. The sq is far superior with the aftermarket setups. Still have a Rainbow set I might throw in here... Hmm
Old 11-15-2014, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 286 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
C43 is not the type a car id throw a custom sound system in. The stock radio blends in with the trim nicely. Any after market glossy blue/red light crap looks awful in there. Btw everything can be adjusted on the deck. Youd have to be a sound engineer not to like the stock bose system. To an average person i think it sounds amazing. Anyway....its shouldnt be a deal breaker if you are on a market for a c43.

Take one for a spin, drop it to second from 40mph or cruize down the highway for a bit and you wont give a damn what the radio sounds like. The best soundtrack in the car is the exhaust

The best mod you can do is probably the 5.4 swap. Ill be able to comment on this more as mine is happening right now.

W202 c55 over any 5.4 amg in my opinion and the swap is becoming so affordable nowadays
Old 11-15-2014, 04:39 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2004 E55
C43 is not the type a car id throw a custom sound system in. The stock radio blends in with the trim nicely. Any after market glossy blue/red light crap looks awful in there.
As my dd, I drive the 43 a lot. I like to enjoy hq music during my commutes. I was looking at the Pioneer DEH-80PRS paired to an Alpine PDX-V9. I found the ability to change to an amber color to match the interior lighting to be quite attractive (and hopefully acceptable to MB Purists).
Old 11-15-2014, 07:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
99 C43 AMG, 2001 CLK55 AMG
C43 is not the type a car id throw a custom sound system in. The stock radio blends in with the trim nicely. Any after market glossy blue/red light crap looks awful in there. Btw everything can be adjusted on the deck. Youd have to be a sound engineer not to like the stock bose system. To an average person i think it sounds amazing. Anyway....its shouldnt be a deal breaker if you are on a market for a c43.

Take one for a spin, drop it to second from 40mph or cruize down the highway for a bit and you wont give a damn what the radio sounds like. The best soundtrack in the car is the exhaust

The best mod you can do is probably the 5.4 swap. Ill be able to comment on this more as mine is happening right now.

W202 c55 over any 5.4 amg in my opinion and the swap is becoming so affordable nowadays
also i dont know if it was still an option or not but my c43 had the disc changer in the trunk, which was no longer working, so i basically only had a am/fm radio, so rather than spend $600 to get that old changer fixed i just went to a new CD player.
as stated its hard to find one that doesnt look like a childs toy but there are some cleaner designs out there that arent too bad. i also like to still listen to CD's with decent sound quality periodically and not crap 128kbps mp3 files. so just having a ipod wired in was not what i wanted.

the stock audio system in my 2007 saturn aura is better than the bose system in the C43 at low-mid low volumes. mid and high volumes the bose is much better though.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 286 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Google search this one below

Becker BE 4602

Ive seen in in a 202 before. I love how it looks
Old 11-17-2014, 03:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C300/STi
Originally Posted by MarshmanGabriel
Alright gentleman, I've come to a problem. While spiritedly driving about an empty lot in the snow yesterday, i slid into a curb, quite literally shattering a piece of my rim off. Nobody would happen to have a cheap set of WRX wheels I could snag would they? :

get on NASIOC, or ebay, or check your local Subaru forums, wrx wheels can be had for CHEAP. If you were 5x114.3 I'd maybe sell you my stock STi's.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:04 PM

Subaru WRX
That Becker head unit looks like it'd blend in quite well to the C43 interior. I like a perfect well-rounded, warm "bassy" music tone.

Wheel crisis is solved with a new set of Niche Apex 126 wheels on the Subaru! And boy.. what id give to test drive a C43. That'd cheer me up after having to drop 600 on wheels!
Old 01-12-2015, 02:38 PM

Subaru WRX
Originally Posted by juice91si
get on NASIOC, or ebay, or check your local Subaru forums, wrx wheels can be had for CHEAP. If you were 5x114.3 I'd maybe sell you my stock STi's.
Hey man! Ive got a general question about my trans. SO to make a long story short, my mechanic pulled my wheel straight (fixed the positive camber) that the impact caused, and now the wheels lock up after driving 20 feet. Keep in mind, i drove it to his place to get the wheel fixed. As soon as the wheel was pulled straight, the car is very difficult to get into gear(not impossible), hard to move the shifter etc. Now, what i think is that something was bent inside the rear diff and it worked while the wheel had its positive camber, but as soon as it was straightened whatever was bent together no longer meshed up correctly. I know, i know: only my mechanic can tell me for sure. I'm only trying to help troubleshoot weather its worth ordering a rear diff. now or waiting to see if it's something simple.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
I wouldn't order a diff without diagnosing what the actual issue is. Get the car up in the air, start poking and prodding around. Can you spin the wheel by hand? (You should probably have all four wheels up in the air, not sure about the diff configuration on the WRX) Check your fluids. If your mechanic sent it back to you as being in working condition, I would get it back to him ASAP to be corrected.