C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Tail light out, no error.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
1999 AMG C43
Tail light out, no error.

The 5007 bulb (it's the small clear bulb on the board) on the right side of my C43 was out with no dashboard error. Checked the bulb and it's good. Pulled the left side bulb out and the dash error light comes on.

I ordered a new bulb holder part no A2028201277 only because it was so cheap on eBay $16.99 shipped new in box. I also wanted to try to fit a new connector (probably need pins too), but I don't have the part numbers, does anyone know?

Also does anyone think it could be something else? I plugged in the left lights into the right connector (upside down) and two lights lit up but not the correct lights I guess because it's upside down, so not positive but hoping its just a bad board on the bulb holder. Could it be from another issue aside from the connector or bulb holder? Is there a hidden fuse, module or unit I need to look at?

Thanks
Old 11-16-2014, 06:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wish I could hekp you but I am going through similar light issues and going to take it to the mechanic. I'll let you know what we figure out and if it could be related or have a similar fix.

Mr left side rear tailights were not working, but the brake and turn signal were fine, just the lower two bulbs seemed bad. I swapped the passenger side bulbs and still the drivers side lower lights weren't working but the swapped bulbs in the passenger side ones were, so I know the bulbs are fine.
I then ordered and installed a new bulb holder (same as one you purchased) and the lights work, however the passenger side ones are now out????? And its only the bottom two bulbs which are the actual tailights. Brake, reverse, and indicators work.
Hope you figure yours out, I'll let you know if I learn anything relevant.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 AMG C43
I haven't tried it yet, but sometimes you have to just replace all the bulbs. I know that my passenger side fog light has a bad connection and sometimes I have to give it a little whack to come on. It might be related but didn't pop in my mind until I saw your post just now. Probably needs a little scrape on the metal, some of that conductivity fluid and tape or something to hold it in place.

In the meantime, since its just that one little running light, I popped out the driver's side so they look equal and I'll avoid another ticket.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 AMG C43
The new bulb holder came in the mail last night and it's not fixing it... Going to replace the connectors and test the voltage. Anyone know if there is a module, relay or fuse I should be looking at?
Old 11-20-2014, 07:13 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
did you check fuse and oxidation?
Old 11-20-2014, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 AMG C43
I'll check tonight. In the cold burrrr lol. I didn't check because it's only one light. I should probably fix that fog light too. Haven't gotten to one yet, is it accessed behind the tire? Just unscrew and pull off that panel like the newer models?

Last edited by mickey13; 11-20-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:19 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey13
I'll check tonight. In the cold burrrr lol. I didn't check because it's only one light. I should probably fix that fog light too. Haven't gotten to one yet, is it accessed behind the tire? Just unscrew and pull off that panel like the newer models?
try to turn the wheel out to the max first, see if you can access the plastic cover that way otherwise jack the car and it's wheel off.

unscrew panel and check with flaslight, do this job in daylight
Old 11-22-2014, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 AMG C43
Went to Mercedes and ordered a new connector (none in the USA, has to come from Germany) and 5 pins, also ordered a new headlight switch ($92). Let's hope I can weed this out without having to look at the harness. I'd probably just run a line from the switch the the tail light before switching the harness since it's so much work and the parts guy said very very expensive since it's the harness that runs along the whole car.

Anyone know if he's right and part number/cost of that harness? He didn't look it up, but I sort of believe him.