C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Advice on this C36 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c240
Advice on this C36 AMG

Hey guys, I'm currently looking to find a replacement car for my '02 C240 which was totaled a month ago (not my fault). I've been looking around and have some ideas, unfortunately I think both my top 'wants' may be too expensive. I was browsing Craigslist and this caught my eye. I don't know too much about the W202's, even less about the older six cylinders, so was wondering if you guys could help me out. If it was the C43 I could probably answer my own questions, but it's not.
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4890407311.html
(maybe the owner is even on here, but I'm not going to stalk a bunch of profiles)
-the paint is really worn down. I don't see any rust, but I know it can be a problem on some. Living in Houston I don't think i'll have a problem, depending where the car lived.
- as far as reliability goes... I know they're fairly reliable. Any advice on what I should look for? About how much should I expect to pay for maintenance every year?
-It says the radio doesn't work. Do you guys think it would be something simple or not? I installed a double-din Pioneer into my C240 and took it out after the accident, but it looks like that won't fit into the W202.
-I really don't care but throw some MPG figures at me.
-The price seems really low. Low enough to slightly concern me. It says it has a clean title, and even after factoring in the miles (128k) and paint it still seems low... like the owner is hiding something. I have a budget for my next car and this is as cheap as a late NA/early NB Miata so...how much do these usually go for?

Thanks in advance.

edit- the two cars I'm considering are an SLK32 AMG and a '05/'06 manual Pontiac GTO.

Last edited by ildd; 02-18-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
22 X3, 21 330e, 97 M3, 97 C36 (sold), but on the hunt for a clean, low-mile C43!
Actually, 128K is not really high miles at all for a '95. And at that price, not a bad deal either. Sure, you'll need to do your due diligence and request all necessary paperwork to ensure proper maintenance has been performed, especially for this particular year, i.e. wiring harness, tranny flush, cooling system, head gasket, etc. Those are some particular weak points, but if all that registers, then all you'd need to do is a DIY headliner job, and a small investment in new paint. And VOILA! You have yourself one badass car!

BTW, the seller's ad is quite entertaining. He's certainly witty, well-read, and articulate, most likely not the typical "StancedNation bros" he pokes fun at, lol (which is a good thing!).

Last edited by siideways; 02-18-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c240
Originally Posted by siideways
Actually, 128K is not really high miles at all for a '95. And at that price, not a bad deal either. Sure, you'll need to do your due diligence and request all necessary paperwork to ensure proper maintenance has been performed, especially for this particular year, i.e. wiring harness, tranny flush, cooling system, head gasket, etc. Those are some particular weak points, but if all that registers, then all you'd need to do is a DIY headliner job, and a small investment in new paint. And VOILA! You have yourself one badass car!

BTW, the seller's ad is quite entertaining. He's certainly witty, well-read, and articulate, most likely not the typical "StancedNation bros" he pokes fun at, lol (which is a good thing!).
Haha, yea, I enjoyed the description. Seems like a guy I could get along with very easily. Being used to these early-mid 2000's AMG prices, seeing the $3700 price put up a big red flag for me. I was expecting the C36 to be worth about $5000 but it seems that's C43 territory. But if that's the norm, then that sounds good to me. Just don't want to spend $3700 on the car and another $3700 in the first year getting it to run right, as the saying goes "the cheapest Mercedes is usually the most expensive one" I'll definitely be looking for any maintenance/repair records if I consider the car further... My C240 had a saggy rear headliner and it was being kept up with a couple thumbtacks, that didn't really bother me. It's more of having to spend a few hundred at the drop of a hat I'm concerned about.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Loved the description ... Made my day, I need to have a beer with this seller and talk amg:

Meet Helga, a 1995 C36 AMG. Car guys know what she is: the first ever factory-backed AMG model sold by M-B themselves. I guess you could buy a Camry or some other appliance for the same money, but would it be one of only 500 ever imported to the U.S. during 1995? No. Will it be RWD, with iconic AMG monoblocks and 225/45-17 meats in the front & fat 245/45-17's in the rear? Hell no. Will it have a Nurburgring-tuned suspension with brakes straight off of a CL600? Don't make me laugh.

Sure, Helga's headliner is saggy, but what do you expect from a mid-90's Merc with 128k miles? AMGs are about drivetrain. Her radio doesn't work (and her A/C needs recharged), but maybe instead of listening to the latest Rihanna swill you should drop the windows, step on the loud pedal, and listen to Helga's hand-built, 3.6 liter, 268 hp straight six sing the only song you need to hear. And her bulletproof 4-speed automatic transmission ensures that you (and your girlfriend) can play that track any time you want.

Did you know this car was in a Master P video? No, not this specific car, cut that **** out. Helga... isn't going to win any beauty contests. Her paint is not good. At all. People aren't going to look at it and say 'Yeah, that guy has an AMG- he must be successful!'. They're going to think 'Jesus Christ, who let that slag out of the garage?' But you don't care, because you're sitting in near-perfect, 7-way adjustable leather seats, and you can't see the ratty parts from inside!

I hate to see her go, but I bought one of those cars where headlights go up, headlights go down UPDOWNUPDOWNUPDOWN. Fact is, you're not going to find a better blend of comfort & old-fashioned Affaltenbach clout at anything near $3700 OBO. And I know you're thinking 'Well why don't I just get an E36 M3?' Well sure you can, if you want some 19 year old StanceNation bro's slippy clutch and ****ty ebay coilovers. Helga's bone stock, and that means she'll treat you just as well as she's treated me. Just be sure to feed her premium- she only likes the hard stuff.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 139 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
I'd drop $3700 on this thing without hesitation.

The radio doesn't work because the capacitors have dried out in the amplifier in the trunk. $50 repair in an electronics shop, or a $400 rebuild from Becker.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:51 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
(For Sale 03 G55), 08 G55K, 99 C43, 04 E55, 05 E63, 91 BMW E30, 05 BMW M3, 05 Audi USP Avant
Hes an honest seller BUT he just doesnt describe the car, its history and or maintainence etc he just fluffs the ad in a great way to detour you from diggin in. I have seen that on CL for about 3 months,there is a reason its taking long to sell. I understand the fact its a C36 which makes it rare and awesome but nothing awesome about a bucket C36 which wasn't taken care of. Not trying to steer you away but im sure you can grab this for $3000 because its been sitting. It needs a lot of work but also parts are expensive. The paint job is the killer for me, from the pics it does seem repairable without repaint, just a lot of wet sanding and etc.

Just simple leaks and or bushings or a flex disc will basically cost you 50% of what you paid.
Its a tough call , Id do it, but but my MAXXX would be $3,000, MAYYYBE $3,300 because the mileage is low.

Things to consider -
Valve cover leaks
PS leaks
control arms
bushings
oil,
coolant flush
trans flush and service
spark plugs
engine mounts.

Those items alone to repair would exceed the cost of the car.
If its a keeper and you want to slowly build your dream C36 - then go for it

but if you want to turn key and drive and drive and drive, ummm it doesnt seem likely

I'd go for the C32 SLK since your market criteria is also a Miata

Again this is all just my opinion, because I came across this when I was hunting and passed.

Last edited by MPOW33R; 02-19-2015 at 02:02 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:04 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
(For Sale 03 G55), 08 G55K, 99 C43, 04 E55, 05 E63, 91 BMW E30, 05 BMW M3, 05 Audi USP Avant
OH SH*T the 95'S also had a major ECU harness issue thats BANK to fix.
Causes all kinds of electrical issues !!! Look into that because from what I know
and read its on EVERY SINGLE one. Something about biodegradable wire sleeves
thats lets just say MBZ made sure they...degrate