CNN Insurance investigation.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 12:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C43 AMG
CNN Insurance investigation.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/11/us/aut...nvestigation/#
Just thought I'd share since I am in a auto body shop [Industry] and know well how cars get repaired. There is a lot of way to fix a car, but there will be circumstances where hidden RELATED CLAIM damage can be noticed afterward a car has been repaired, whether just a bumper repaint or a moderate damage.
Just wanted to enlighten you in this since there have been a lot of insurance companies short changing our cars when cars get salvaged or total out or when getting fixed using [NON-CERTIFIED Aftermarket parts & CAPA Certified] and or reman/used parts. This should be considered for basically member of all of MBworld because Mercedes-Benz in general has very strict, and i mean strict high standard repair procedures that must be followed to repair a vehicle to factory standards. This includes bumper plastic repair, body sheet metal repairs, structural repairs [HSS "High Strength Steel"], Boron [UHS "Ultra High Strength Steel" Boron, and Aluminum [ALU] or HSS/Alu bonding repairs where you cant just weld a panel, you have to rivet back on, bond it with MB Structural adhesive compound and then when necessary weld if needed. (newer Mercedes-Benz). Just Keep in mind to get our cars repaired to factory standards, you should go to a Certified MBUSA Collision Center or Certified Elite MB Collision Center for Aluminum Structural repairs.
Here is a link:
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/dealer...OLLISIONCENTER
SO everyone drive safe is all!!
Old 02-20-2015, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Originally Posted by Tony_AMG
http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/11/us/aut...nvestigation/#
Just thought I'd share since I am in a auto body shop [Industry] and know well how cars get repaired. There is a lot of way to fix a car, but there will be circumstances where hidden RELATED CLAIM damage can be noticed afterward a car has been repaired, whether just a bumper repaint or a moderate damage.
Just wanted to enlighten you in this since there have been a lot of insurance companies short changing our cars when cars get salvaged or total out or when getting fixed using [NON-CERTIFIED Aftermarket parts & CAPA Certified] and or reman/used parts. This should be considered for basically member of all of MBworld because Mercedes-Benz in general has very strict, and i mean strict high standard repair procedures that must be followed to repair a vehicle to factory standards. This includes bumper plastic repair, body sheet metal repairs, structural repairs [HSS "High Strength Steel"], Boron [UHS "Ultra High Strength Steel" Boron, and Aluminum [ALU] or HSS/Alu bonding repairs where you cant just weld a panel, you have to rivet back on, bond it with MB Structural adhesive compound and then when necessary weld if needed. (newer Mercedes-Benz). Just Keep in mind to get our cars repaired to factory standards, you should go to a Certified MBUSA Collision Center or Certified Elite MB Collision Center for Aluminum Structural repairs.
Here is a link:
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/dealer...OLLISIONCENTER
SO everyone drive safe is all!!
I guess that's why repairs are expensive but that's normal considering MB standards and OE parts. MB's are expensive to start with, but considering our 43's are starting to be old ladies, do they deserve the same treatment as a young "star"?
Old 02-20-2015, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 139 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
My father in law runs a body shop, so I've also had some first-hand accounts of the epic levels of bull***** that goes down with the insurance company AND the body shop.

Right off the bat, my father in law knew how important it was that the assessment be legitimate and accurate to avoid the car being totaled.

Adjuster showed up, casually took a single glance at the car from 50 feet away while joking around with another guy, wrote down "$7,540" (or some other outrageous number) and immediately declared it a total write off, and drove away.

My total bill ended up being just under $4k with half the parts being FROM THE DEALER, and the other half being hilariously marked up (like $225 for a used fender). Father in law got it straightened out for me as best as he could, but the entire system is not geared for people like us with cars like this. The whole system revolves around cars less than 5 years old, worth MUCH more money, and owners who care very little about having it back. Most just want a new car or to get back on the road ASAP.

I took a picture of a 2012 (this was in 2011) Kia Soul that had the entire drivers side removed. Hood, fender, A and B pillar, cut along 1/4 of the roof. I mean, this was a shockingly huge job that required an absurd level of hours and work to complete, and THAT car was not a total write off? Brand new it could NOT have been more than a $17k car. But my 99 C43 losing bumper, fender, bumper support, lower control arm, headlight, and blinker was a $7.5k total write off no questions asked. They presume we all just want our old cars totaled so we can drop a payout down on a new car.