C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

C43 Radio Upgrade Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c43
C43 Radio Upgrade Suggestions?

Hello. I was wanting to upgrade my radio mainly for the reason of having it more new-aged with AUX connection and what not. I know there's a radio tuner for AUX but I've heard they're expensive (might as well upgrade radio) and cut out alot due to it relying on radio waves. There's also CD and tape to AUX but the changers in the trunk.

Any suggestions on what to upgrade to that will fit in properly and snug? Also would it be difficult to get a replacement for the A/C dash as well? Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S Any cool things to do with the center compartment where the old school phones used to go? Any use for that wire? Mines missing the phone so it'd be nice to do something with that compartment other than storage and loose cables.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2015, 12:00 PM

98 silver C43 210K
last weeks thread...but heads up on the switched 12V feed...

well only last week a stated a thread on just this. hah!

https://mbworld.org/forums/c36-amg-c...contoller.html

but my 2cents on the radio. I bought a $90 kenwood that has bluetooth so my kids can take and make calls with "eyes off" the phone. the phone goes in the arm rest and is never touched.

I aslo found the mating connector to the MB radios harness. then you dont cut any wires...you attach your new radios harness to this rig and just plug in.

rumor is that there is no switched 12v on our c43 into the oem radio...its some kind of data link. Im going to have to find a switched 12v feed or the radio will always be on.

by the way dont bother trying to remove the radio without the exact right din "MB landrover" radio removal tool set. I spent hours with steel strips and a file making a tool set to no avail.

ill update as i get on with it.

Originally Posted by Benz43new
Hello. I was wanting to upgrade my radio mainly for the reason of having it more new-aged with AUX connection and what not. I know there's a radio tuner for AUX but I've heard they're expensive (might as well upgrade radio) and cut out alot due to it relying on radio waves. There's also CD and tape to AUX but the changers in the trunk.

Any suggestions on what to upgrade to that will fit in properly and snug? Also would it be difficult to get a replacement for the A/C dash as well? Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S Any cool things to do with the center compartment where the old school phones used to go? Any use for that wire? Mines missing the phone so it'd be nice to do something with that compartment other than storage and loose cables.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2015, 12:55 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2004 E55
I thought about this as well, as I have a set of Rainbow components still sitting in a box, but decided I'd keep the stock system. Unfortunately too often people install a gaudy looking aftermarket radio and it ends up looking like s#!*.

While dated, I don't mind the factory unit (mine is an Alpine CM2299) it is simplistic and fits the car well. Paired with the Bose speakers, it's just fine. Not astounding, but better than even some newer factory units today. In the end, I soldered a female aux cable to the L&R board points on the radio. It is quite simple and you can route the cable and install the aux port wherever you like. IMO it looks better than a tape aux. My cassette aux would always jam and cause a "Tape Stuck" or "NO Tape" error. It ran out the front of the radio and didn't look good. This method uses the TAPE input for the aux and retains all other features of the radio.

Other budget methods that I have considered (if I really needed to go wireless) would be a Bluetooth cassette (which would require no modification to your factory radio) such as this: http://www.ionaudio.com/products/det...pter-bluetooth

Or maybe you could hide & hardwire something like this (after an AUX Mod):
http://www.iclever.com/product-detai...-free-car-kit/

I went this route to keep the factory unit and the audio quality is great. Keep in mind that a few notches down from full volume will give you best quality on AUX. I can't personally speak on the quality of the above solutions.

This way you can preserve the nostalgia of your 43 while also acquiring some modern functionality. My $.02
Old 07-28-2015, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 139 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
My 1998 has a gaudy looking pioneer crap unit I'm wanting to yank and return to stock. This should be as simple as finding an OE head unit and swapping them right?
Old 07-28-2015, 05:40 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Sulaco
My 1998 has a gaudy looking pioneer crap unit I'm wanting to yank and return to stock. This should be as simple as finding an OE head unit and swapping them right?
I would think so. As long as they used adapters and didn't cut your factory connectors. You would also need the radio code.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 377 Likes on 342 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
Stock looks better than any aftermarket units, during to the classic interior style & matching all things around it..

ZAYED,,
Old 07-28-2015, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 139 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
since mine's a 1998, what model OE units will fit it??
Old 07-28-2015, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 377 Likes on 342 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
As i think; any CD/Cassette units from 96-02 "W202/W208/W210/R170/R129" will fit, isn't..?

ZAYED,,
Old 07-30-2015, 03:25 PM

1996 C36
I have the Becker Traffic pro which maintains the look and allows me to have a minijack and navigation to boot.