C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

'95 C36 will not start, diagnosis thread?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 Mercedes C36 AMG
Question '95 C36 will not start, diagnosis thread?

Climbed threads most of the night, but not seeing an answer -

My '95 C36 is sitting in the garage and will not start. Happened suddenly. The key initiates all the cluster panel normally, but nothing. I also cannot get the car out of Park. I see mention of a gear selector switch in the crank system, but nothing definitive and don't want to crack open my shift console chasing answers. There has been some slop in shifter when backing out of the drive and shifting to Drive. Feels like a slight alignment or synch issue.

The battery is strong & charged just for confidence.

Can someone help with a diagnosis chain? I have the Bentley's manual (C Class) and OM - but of course they are little help for these AMG *******s...

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-19-2015, 10:30 PM

1995 Mercedes C36 AMG
Anyone?
Old 11-20-2015, 10:53 PM

'97 c36
Man that 95 has given you heartache since day one.. Wish I could help you more but the 97 uses a different transmission and I'm not sure how the 95's linkage is set up. I think you're on the right track though. I'd start with pulling the center console apart at the shifter as well as go under the car and figure out why when you turn the key to release the lock why the shifter wont come out of park. If the cars safety switches can't work it won't enable a start.

Also on my car there is a cable and runs from the brake petal to the shifter to release it from park as well.. Just one more thing to check.

Last edited by Super B; 11-20-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:32 PM

1995 Mercedes C36 AMG
Super B - thanks for your share. Contrary to my recent presence on these forums because I'm doing more of my own DIY maintenance... (brake/rotor rebuild last year, water pump & head gasket this spring) this car has been a great car. I've owned it since 1999, drive it sparingly and with minor issues. You know, for years, other than maybe the M3 there was nothing on the road that compared in performance and comfort. Sure when the 8 cylinder AMG appeared and the tier B imports amped-up their standards, there are now some comparables - but, it would take $50-70k to match. I love my C36!

Based on some advice from the local dealer service dept, I did replace the Brake Safety Switch (0015450109) and one of two shift link bushings (1159920310) today. Prior and confirming the issue, I pressed the brake pedal with more pressure and the gear selector unlocked and allowed to move. The car would then crank in "N". These jobs were not mechanically tough, but PIAs. I struggled more with the lower dash removal - mainly the parking brake lever, steering wheel release and OBD2 port. The brake switch was easy. Then the tight space of the bushing presented its own struggle. But, I my bushings were still whole and present. I need to next replace my Neutral Safety Switch and the link bushing above, but I think I need to drop the tranny to do so???
Old 11-22-2015, 10:54 PM

'97 c36
You know I'm just not sure on the 722.4. Hopefully some one else will chime in. I'd start buy pulling the trim ring around the shifter and then the burl wood and take a peak what's in that section. That would be worth while to jump on epc and see what the parts breakdown looks like.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:40 AM

1995 Mercedes C36 AMG
Anyone -
I've had starting and "stuck in Park" issues. I replaced the Brake Shift switch and one of two shift link bushings this weekend. I plan to replace the Neutral Safety Switch and second bushing when parts arrive. I see threads where on some models folks work the switch and bushing within the limited space of the transmission and body. I don't think I'll be able to on the C36.

If I drop the tranny a little - I saw a YouTube video that suggested removal of fan shroud and exhaust - but, I think it failed to remind that I'd need to disconnect the driveshaft. To lower the tranny, do I need to disconnect the driveshaft?

(don't laugh- my other car is a Jeep and the driveshafts flex...)

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2016, 12:32 AM

1995 Mercedes C36 AMG
Question It wasn't the Brake Safety Switch only.... anyone?

It's been a month since I replaced the brake safety switch. This unlocked my car from park and allowed a start - but, I left the car on stands as I had to order front rotor as the aftermarket solution I previously wrote/chatted here about didn't fit. Tonight I replaced the rotors, buttoned up, lowered the car and NOTHING. The cluster lights come on with the ignition switch turned, the gear selector does now move out of Park when pressing the brake pedal, but no start.... nothing, no click or turnover... Anyone?

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:27 PM

1996 C36
How is the transmission harness? I have a 94 C280 and it was crumbling to where I lost the reverse lights. This harness also attaches to the neutral safety switch so if there is a break or short in this wire (thanks to the biodegradable wire harnesses) this may be the cause of your no start issue.