C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

My trunk is broken.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 08:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
black w202 C43 / Black e93 328i / Smoke Silver 560SEL
My trunk is broken.

My trunk refuses to open. The lock appears to be seized so it won't open with the key, and the switch to open it in the car or on the remote doesnt work. It doesnt even make any sound to indicate its attempting to work, and the light on the trunk release switch doesnt flash when Im pulling the switch.

Anyone have any ideas, or is this best solved by a mechanic who actually knows what they're doing?
Old 08-27-2016, 07:26 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
do have one or both of your folding rear seats open?
if you can't pop the trunk, you have to go in through the rear backseat

you have to unscrew the bracket holding trunk lock.
there are 2 oval plastic covers to be removed then unscrew nuts, trunk will open from inside.
you have to use a flashlight inside as it's pitch black inside trunk.

if you havent' open any of the folding back, you have to remove seat cushion and unscrew one of the folding back cushion then completely remove it to enter trunk.

try the easiest solution first put lots of WD40 or other gunk in trunk lock let lock suck it up for sime time, then gettin' jiggle with it with the metal blade key.
if this don't help, you have to go through the above step through backseat

learning the hard way, don't ONLY use the remote to open the trunk or doorlock, sometimes you also have to use the blade key to exercise locks as they get seized over the years with lots of crap inside.
now you have this dog day and you can't unlock your trunk.

stealership sells lock caps to put in the locks, these small roundish covers will keep your lock safe from debris and moist

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 08-27-2016 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
black w202 C43 / Black e93 328i / Smoke Silver 560SEL
Thanks for the info, I have the bigger seat down and I'll try it in the morning. The weird thing is the red light on the trunk open switch doesnt even light up.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:50 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by c43w202
Thanks for the info, I have the bigger seat down and I'll try it in the morning. The weird thing is the red light on the trunk open switch doesnt even light up.
always keep one of the folding seats unlocked as a safety reason.
bootlocks are temperamental, one day they won't unlock, then you're screwed

i think light swith doesn't illuminate coz you can't pop the trunk
Old 01-02-2020, 11:50 AM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
1998 C43 w/ 55 swap Wavetrac LSD and 6-Speed manual
My key works fine - my issue is only with the electronics. Key fob, trunk switch in the center console and pushing the external release on the trunk intermittently don't work. When it's not working the light on the center console switch is illuminated red. There is no noise, buzz, or any indication the mechanism is being engaged when using the console switch, fob, or external switch. I resorted to using the key blade - which opens the trunk just fine other then the annoyance. A couple drives later I noticed the red light on the center console switch is off - trunk is opening normal again.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

UPDATE - left 1/2 of rear seat down "just in case". Noticed when it was dark out the trunk light was still on and trunk wouldn't open electronically. Removed the trunk light switch and taped the wires up as to not touch each other nor anything metal. Trunk light is off and my trunk electronic popper is now working. The red light on the console switch is off also. As this was an intermittent issue the last week or two I'm not 100% sure the problem is fixed but seems to be the case. Will order new trunk light switch after evaluating for a while.

Hope this may help someone in the future. Will update if issue isn't solved.

Last edited by x463; 01-04-2020 at 11:14 AM.