Radios and Speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
1999 AMG C43
Radios and Speakers

So, I really can't listen to the radio in my car anymore. I've been heavy on the CDs, but I'm not sure I want to buy or burn CDs. I'm thinking of swapping out the radio and speakers (yes, i will wrap them in felt and store everything in a safe place.

A year ago or so I bought a bluetooth expansion thing and plugged it in the back of the radio. Actually worked well for a bit but eventually blew something out in the trunk. Needless to say, I scrapped that idea.

well looking over my interior as i need to get the headliner done, i am considering doing the pillars too, but they run in the back all the way to the deck so probably have to get the back deck done as well. when i was playing back there today, i noticed that the speaker grilles pulled up on the rear deck and i also realized that the speakers were only taking up about half the space. now i am wondering if i can get myself a booming little system without drilling any holes or making any concessions. I know I can probably get a few tweeters placed around with the velcro or something and maybe put in bigger in the back along with a new amp.

thoughts?
Old 09-13-2016, 03:44 AM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2004 E55
Alright Mickey, the stock speakers reaally are not that bad, but I am with you on this. I hardwired AUX into the factory head unit a couple years back, but that is where it began. I tried a couple different Bluetooth aux pucks (Himbox HB01+ & Kinivo BTC455) with the desire to run hands free, but they just do not deliver the greatest audio quality no matter what I tried. So I ended up using my Jeep's head unit (Pioneer DEHX9600BHS) to replace the factory unit. I was hesitant to do this because I consider myself a slight purist & didn't want to ruin the interior with gaudy aftermarket head units. Anyway, the Pioneer unit has the ability to change color to match the rest of the displays & I think it's acceptable. I haven't fully committed, but I have a set of Rainbow Germanium components that I've contemplated throwing in. I am, however, using the silk tweeters from that Rainbow component set in place of the factory ones with aftermarket tweeter pods that were affixed to the tweeter grills (I have a replacement set of grills when I go back stock) & can confidently say the new tweeters accentuate the factory system. My JL 13TW5, Alpine amps, & Focals were stolen so I am now using what I have left. I am running 1000rms to a ported Alpine sub in the trunk with the amp mounted as well. Also, I poly filled the entire rear deck & sound deadened the doors; it definitely makes a difference. I now have hands free calling, two direct USB ports, AUX & CDs. This combination maintains audio quality & will most likely carry me over until I sell this 43 & if not, I will be installing the rest of my Rainbow speakers & purchasing another Alpine PDX F4 & JL 13TW5v2 slim sub & possibly something like the Pioneer DEH P80RS or DEX P99RS if I was going all out.

All said, new head unit & tweeters running off the factory system & installing an aftermarket amp & sub might get you to where you want to be fairly easily.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 139 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
My only complaint is no aux input on the stock radio without sacrificimg my cd changer.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
black w202 C43 / Black e93 328i / Smoke Silver 560SEL
The radio swap is really easy with the harness from Crutchfield, although I think you might also replace the stock amp because those are more than a bit unreliable.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:40 AM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Sulaco
My only complaint is no aux input on the stock radio without sacrificimg my cd changer.
Hard wire the aux in bro. It's really not that difficult & takes place of the tape deck; you retain the factory CD player.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 139 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
Say whaaaat??
Old 09-19-2016, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
1999 AMG C43
I hardwired in a bluetooth aux which kept both the tape and the cd changer, but it was glitchy and eventually blew out a relay in the trunk. I don't know if it was low quality or wired in wrong, but I think I bought it off of Crutchfield. Might be a good solution for someone that wants to give it a second try.

I'm definitely just going to replace the whole system in my car though, just get me one of those fold in touch screen models, new speaks and amp.