C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Yaw rate sensor on C43

Old 02-19-2017, 11:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W202 C43 1999
Yaw rate sensor on C43

Hi all,

Where is the yaw rate sensor located on the 99 model C43?

I have a bit of an issue when turning right, the ESP kicks in sometimes even when im not even close to breaking traction.

It did this a little while ago when new K-MAC lower control arm bushes were fitted and alignment was way out, steering wheel was off centre to the left, but alignment should be fine now as the car travels straight with wheel dead straight.

Does not do this turning left, and ESP seems to activate at normal times, it doesnt seem as though it is allowing any extra slide in left hand corners, just activates far too easily on right hand cornering.

Cheers all
Old 02-20-2017, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
I've usually found this problem to be caused by a poor wheel alignment rather than any electrical fault. Sometimes its due to the steering wheel being moved from the center position to correct an offset steering wheel or a poor rear wheel alignment.

If you use a SDS or generic scanner you can check the steering angle according to the sensor and see if when it reads 0.0Deg that the steering wheel is dead straight. If it doesn't then get this corrected before replacing any components.
The following users liked this post:
W202AMG (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 01:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
w202
The yaw sensor is in the front area of the trunk under the plastic cover after you take out the trunk mat.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:58 AM

W202 C43 1999
Originally Posted by Ausmbtech
I've usually found this problem to be caused by a poor wheel alignment rather than any electrical fault. Sometimes its due to the steering wheel being moved from the center position to correct an offset steering wheel or a poor rear wheel alignment.

If you use a SDS or generic scanner you can check the steering angle according to the sensor and see if when it reads 0.0Deg that the steering wheel is dead straight. If it doesn't then get this corrected before replacing any components.
Thanks mate, the last wheel alignment was done by Garry Crick's Mercedes Benz dealer, and to be honest ive got no idea why it took them over 5 hours to get it right.

I wouldnt expect a dealer would be stupid enough to pull the steering wheel off to correct the issue it had after their first attempt, which was last friday, and i took it back.

Their excuse was my after market suspension meant it could not be aligned correctly, which is crap, the only thing changed is the K-MAC LCA bushes. Lets face it, its very easy to adjust camber and caster with those installed...

I just drove the car again after cleaning the connectors to the two sensors in the boot, which made no real difference. It does also cut in a little early on left hand turns, but much earlier turning right.

I have no idea what specs are on it now since they didnt provide me with anything on the second go they had at it.

Where is the best place to get an alignment in your opinion Ausmbtech? I usually use Bob Jane, and never had an issue there, but last time they put 6mm total toe in on the front and 7mm total on the rear... No idea why...
Old 02-20-2017, 02:00 AM

W202 C43 1999
Originally Posted by fredtga
The yaw sensor is in the front area of the trunk under the plastic cover after you take out the trunk mat.
Cheers Fred, i found it mate
Old 02-22-2017, 12:24 AM

W202 C43 1999
Ok, wheel alignment redone and is perfect.

Still have the issue while turning right.

Which sensor is responsible for this? There is no codes.