C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

C36 fuel cut, stuck gear shift & speedo failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C36 fuel cut, stuck gear shift & speedo failure

My 1997 C36 has been running very well for 2 years but recently cuts fuel supply and stuck gear **** (can't shift up to the next gear) at 4000rpm. This happens rather frequently and the only obvious sympton I found is speedo meter failure (stayput at min speed 20km/h i.e zero) everytime it happens.

So everytime when I spot my speedo returns to 20 while my car is apparently crusing above 20km/h, I try to reeve it up, everytime, w/o exception I encounter fuel cut @ 4000rpm and stuck at the gear I'm trying to shift up until I ease the throttle to let it **** up to the next gear. What's wrong with my car?

Gurus and experts, really need your advice on this, thank you very much!

Last edited by wyamt; 01-23-2005 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:18 PM

1997 C36 AMG
Originally Posted by wyamt
My 1997 C36 has been running very well for 2 years but recently cuts fuel supply and stuck gear **** (can't shift up to the next gear) at 4000rpm. This happens rather frequently and the only obvious sympton I found is speedo meter failure (stayput at min speed 20km/h i.e zero) everytime it happens.

So everytime when I spot my speedo returns to 20 while my car is apparently crusing above 20km/h, I try to reeve it up, everytime, w/o exception I encounter fuel cut @ 4000rpm and stuck at the gear I'm trying to shift up until I ease the throttle to let it **** up to the next gear. What's wrong with my car?

Gurus and experts, really need your advice on this, thank you very much!

The sympton for fuel cut off and gear shift could be due to a failed MAS (Mass Air Sensor).

I would get it diagnose at a dealership for error codes reading. If it turns out to be the MAS you could replace it yourself.

It is fairly simple to do, shouldn't take more than 10 min.

Regardz,

J Irwan
Old 01-23-2005, 10:02 PM

I just had a full service in mid Dec a month ago, the only error code I had on my diagnose reading was O2, which was there from day 1 I bought my car (2nd hand). Would this have anything to do with it?
I'm still wondering... what would cause the speedo meter to malfunction? seems unlikely MAS can be related to the speedo, could it... it's rather strange that this symptom comes with the fuel cut off every time.

Thanks a lot, will check on MAS this week, really hope you're right